1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Town Hall Barrel-Aged Week

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ungertaker, Dec 21, 2012.

1. budweiser black crown hop randalled with dogwood espresso and cocoa nibs!

Penguin3200 and Ungertaker like this.
  2. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (355) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

I'll probably only get a growler or two for myself; if anyone would like to set up a trade I could pick up another one or two. I'd like to land a central waters 15 and/or a cherry rye.. my top want continues to be King Henry; I know that is a long shot and I'm starting to think I will never find one but I'll throw it out there anyway just in case :)

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  3. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I know, I know, this is America, folks can do whatever they want. But it makes me throw up in my mouth a little when I see the "For Trades" that are already up on the site for these growlers. When there are only 30 of some of them, it would be nice if they went to people who were going to, ya know, drink them, rather than treat them as Rare Beer Currency.
    Just my 2 cents.

4. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

doesthismeanyouwontgoandpickitupformebro?

5. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Understood, but misguided, annoyance. Locals can go drink their fill during barrel-aged week, which is precisely what I plan on doing, so nobody is stealing milk from the mouth of babes here.

tewaris, DoctorRock and jawzman like this.
  6. I am gonna steal all the milk! and turn it to walez

Ungertaker and sacrelicio like this.
  7. Cyclone8

I do understand that, of course. But it is not easy for some of us locals to get to TH 6 days in a row.

8. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yeah, especially when you live in the south metro like I do. But last year most of the beers were on tap for more than one night, & Town Hall Tap is going to get some kegs as well, so it should be pretty easily available.

DoctorRock likes this.
  9. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I am planning on going to the brewpub Thursday & Friday and hopefully I will have a chance to try most of them.

10. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (355) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

I should have clarified this in my ealier post: I will not be shipping any of these; any trade will be done in person in the Twin Cities. I thought this would be implicit, as I posted in the Midwest forum, about a local event, but seemingly it was not. My thinking is: if I'm willing to stand out in the rain/sleet/snow on a Sunday morning in February, get growler tickets, come back to purchase growlers, and in so doing get an additional growler or two into the hands of a fellow local Town Hall fan, who is unable or unwilling to do the same, or who would prefer to give up something they already have rather than put down $30-$45 for a growler, that would make me more of a saint than a pariah. ;) Feel free to throw up or keep your food down as you see fit.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  11. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Maybe I will drink my growlers myself, maybe I will give them to a friend, maybe I will ship them to someone who otherwise would never be able to enjoy them, maybe my wife will drink them when I'm not home, maybe my dogs will knock them out of my hands when I walk in the door, maybe my drunk ass will slip and break the growlers on the sidewalk. The possibilities are endless! I hope no one judges me for what I do with my beers... :)

12. I'll be happy if I can make it out of the Roch for one night...

13. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

ISO: Milk from the mouth of babes

14. Mista

Mista Aficionado (205) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

First in line Suckas! Where are all the other tents?

15. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Limited or not, a few of my regular trading partners want to try these beers. Should the fact that other local Town Hall fans want to try them keep me from trying to share delicious beer with those who want to try it (even if they are not local)?

KWMiles likes this.
  16. Cyclone8

I can definitely understand both sides of the issue.
    I wish they were doing more growlers - 30 is just a ridiculously tiny number :)
    What lucky trading partners to get one of only 30! I hope you get at LEAST Moby Dick or equivalent for them!

17. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

The numbers are tiny and it would b nice if they were doing more. I am not even sure what is coming in return; our trades always get beyond the point of being able to track what is going for what! :)

18. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

I am bringing coffee and will be there about 9:00 tomorrow morning.

19. mattyb83

mattyb83 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2012

I am amped to drink some of these beers at the bar. I am so happy that I'm finishing my last couple of trades and not getting in line with all the nerds to get a growler to trade. I spent far too much money on trading, and I'd rather just take an enjoyable vacation and stop by some local breweries while I'm there.

20. I will offer my muling services, bm me for the details.

21. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

I will be watching you closely to judge what you do with the beer you bought. *shifty eyes*

KWMiles likes this.
  22. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

mattyb83 with a ninja delete!

#iseeeverything

23. The kung fu is strong in that one.

24. mattyb83

I'm getting used to the shitty interface BA has again. Too much time being banned.

I meant to be quoting the guy who was trading his growlers, but trying to be discrete.

#seeingdoesn'tmeanshit

DoctorRock likes this.
  25. mattyb83

Have we met?

26. He best be sharing with me!

27. #allyoucatsputyourclawsaway,it'sjustbeer

28. quite possible, I have met many a BA in this town

29. mattyb83

I rarely BA. Only when I'm bored.

30. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

I hate sharing beer with you, you bastard

31. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (535) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Count me as another one passing on growlers, but planning to hit the bar for tastes throughout the week.

32. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

If anyone is going and not grabbing their allotment bm me. I'm looking for twisted trace, manghattan grand cru, czar jack, and buffalo bock (only if any of the aforementioned are sold out). Will be awake but working tomorrow. Can meet you with cash and probably a beer at your convenience.

33. I am willling to mule myself (Like Brandon did) for a growler. A) it will take time B) it will take gas. message me if you want a bunch of TH growlers. I'll stand in freezing rain or whatever kind of mn weather there is.

34. I can't get my fill because I'm not a 9-5'er, and I gots to work for a livin'. You're stealing milk from my mouth!

maximum12 likes this.
  35. Any news from the line yet?

36. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Coffee acquired on the way

37. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Cracked my Twisted Jim 750 last night. Very nice. Barrel character was mellow with a balance between wood and bourbon. Had a 750 of Czar Jack sometime before Xmas and that was indeed infected. Tasted OK though even with the infection.

DBijnagte likes this.
  38. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Lovely weather we are having today. I showed up around 9:35 besides the guy in front of me buying the last Jack Frost, I got everything I wanted.

39. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (595) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Met some cool cats and had a jolly good time braving the rain, sleet, miniature hail, and snow! With a Double Jack in tow!

40. I just got in from out of town and couldn't get anybody lined up to get me tickets. Anybody able to shed a Czar Jack or two, and maybe one of something else, at the end of the week?