1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Town Hall Barrel-Aged Week

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ungertaker, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Now you're talking!
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

it was amazing. overall, this year's beers kills last year's.
  3. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (770) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

I really liked it too. Wasn't overwhelmingly tart like some are saying.
  4. motorhed

motorhed Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

Thanks for the play-by-play guys. I'll be down there around 4:30 tonight for the lineup. I've been foaming at the mouth reading the reviews coming in......:D
  5. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

does anyone know if they're still pouring manhattan? i'm stopping in later on tonight and am really hoping for a pour.
  6. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

All were still on when I was there for lunch today.

I had Double Barrel, Manhatten Barrel, and Twisted Trace. Twisted was my favorite although I was not blown away by any of them. Double Barrel is certainly interesting and some will say complex, if intentially souring stouts becomes a thing, Town Hall has a good head start. Do not know what to think of Manhatten Barrel yet. Never had the base beer. But it did not seem acidic or cherry enough but both were present. I would of liked the barrels to come through Twisted Trace a lot more. I was told it was in barrels 10 months so not sure any more time would of helped, just seemed the barrels underperformed in this one.
  7. MBrausen

MBrausen Savant (265) Minnesota May 24, 2011

Twisted Trace took my top of the year. It is so much better this year than last. Not nearly as hot which elt a lot of flavors come out.

Manhattan was fantastic also. It's based on the Grand Cru, which it tastes nothing like. It really does taste like a manhattan! Sweet, a little sour, nice cherries, a light grape flavor. I assume some of the wild yeast from the barrels got into it. It had a perfect carbonation level. I had 3 glasses last night.

I will be skipping tonight and Friday and going on Saturday. Everything will likely be there then.
  8. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I was planning on going back Friday, but the weather is going to scare me away from Minneapolis. I really wanted to try Buffalo Bock.
  9. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

It was twisted Jim last year. Jim Beam barrels which did taste mor hot last year. Buffalo trace barrels this year.
  10. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Anyone know when and if any of these will show up at Town Hall Tap? I know, I could just call, but I figure you guys are just as likely to know as half the people who might answer the phone
  11. motorhed

I'll ask the bar tending staff for you and post the info.

PS - for anyone coming down tonight, I'll be the tool on the iPad rocking beeradvocate.com. Say hi.
  12. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

Could have just stopped at "tool"... ;)
  13. motorhed

Suck it Shag! Where you at man? Tell your manager your HIV is flaring up and you have to roll out. :)
  14. motorhed

No kegs are going to the TH Tap location. If they have any left, they will rotate them back on and off occasionally on the lines at the brewery location only. Just what the guy said behind the bar.
  15. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Per the Town Hall Tap Facebook page:

"Barrel Age Week is fast approaching. Advanced tickets for growlers go on sale at the Brewery (on the Washington Ave) this Sunday the 10th at 11am. The beers will tapped the week of the 18th and you can pick up your growlers on the release nights. Get in line early to buy your tickets. The Tap will be getting a few kegs later this month."

Take that for what's it's worth, but sounds like the Tap will be getting...something.
  16. hoeg0015

I was able to score some random barrel action at the tap sporadically last year, so I'm hopeful, but it was real unpredictable and mostly unannounced as I recall.
  17. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

When I talked to Scott he said likely Czar and Twisted, not sure about the others.
  18. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

had the first three last night...all were fantastic and I was very happy to walk out with a growler of each. can't wait to get back on saturday to taste the next three. Gotta love the minneapolis/st.paul beer scene.
  19. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put the kids to bed and head down there!

All were still on as of 8 tonight. The Manhattan should be the first to blow. They said they had lots of Twisted.
  20. Manhatten blew before I left, was a fantastic brew. Really ejoyed the Bock and the Jim. Very happy some douche sole me his growler of Buffalo cuz "it didn't taste what Iwanted it to tast like". Apparently, he doesn
    t like awesome.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  21. Go to bed lobo, you're drunk :)
  22. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

I apparently just missed Manhatten, Bock was alright.
  23. Not sure why all the hate on DB Frost, interesting beer but served too cold. Got tasty as it warmed. I knew I would like it after "The Dude Rules" ripped it.

Twisted Trace was worth the trip down there.

Do they have some new initiative at TH for their servers to ask you if you need anything every 5 fricking minutes?
  24. I truly could not believe how well balanced the Manhattan barrel was. Really, really impressed with that beer!
  25. It was nice to meet you, if you want to grab a beer shoot me a message.
  26. motorhed

Last night i was lucky enough to get Manhattan before it blew, also had a couple Twisted Trace, and the Buffalo Bock. All were fantastic but Twisted Trace left the best impression on me though Manhattan was more complex and ridiculously smooth. Great job Town Hall on the lineup this year!
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  27. I'm thinking of cracking open my twisted trace growler tonight and pouring a pint. If I reseal it tightly, how long will it still be good for?
  28. TheDudeRules

TheDudeRules Savant (280) Minnesota Nov 18, 2010

You look like a street bum. It was their way of asking you to leave. Also... You would drink liquid cat poop and like it as long as it said " barrel aged beer" on the label.
    Ungertaker likes this.
  29. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

The less air space in the growler the longer it will stay carbed. Once you crack it though, I would drink it within 36-48 hours.
  30. pdoran10

pdoran10 Savant (290) Minnesota Jun 30, 2009

I hear the only REAL way to go to Town Hall is to wear a suit and ignore everyone.
  31. TheDudeRules

TheDudeRules Savant (280) Minnesota Nov 18, 2010

I was told it is rude to interrupt men while they are on man-dates.

Also I didn't realize it was you till you were leaving. So you saw me first!
  32. Fixed yer post
  33. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

I headed down there last night to try the Double Barrel Jack Frost, Tumaltuous Rare and Buffalo Bock. Jack Frost was definitely my favorite, went in thinking it was going to be bad but enjoyed it. The glass was ice cold, still cold after about an hour. I really loved all the barrel notes, but they seemed to battle each other a bit. I am headed back down tonight for Czar Jack and will probably get another Jack Frost if I can keep my hands off that Twisted Trace.... mmmmmm
  34. hoeg0015

Throw me in the minority camp who like the double barrel. no denying the power of the wine barrel, but it has a nutty factor I'm digging. but that's just, like, what do they say? My opinion, man.
    yamar68 and XmnwildX12 like this.
  35. motorhed

You said nutty factor.
  36. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

On my way down for some Czar Jack, wearing my Boogaard jersey... :(
    motorhed likes this.
  37. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I liked how chocolatey it tasted after it warmed up.
  38. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

Anyone here now? I'm in the blue striped button-up at the bar, having my first-ever Twisted Trace.
  39. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Double Barrel was by far my favorite this year. It seems to me that the wine barrel is sort of a curveball but I think they knocked it out of the park.

Which reminds me... ISO Double Barrel Damon.
  40. Just finished my growler of Twisted Trace that I brought to an Oscar party. I seriously can't believe that it was the last barrel aged beer to sell out of tickets. I bought my ticket three days after it went on sale, and it was absolutely tremendous, and a huge hit with everyone that had some. I was hoping it would be good, but it far exceeded my expectations! I have to believe it will sell out quicker next year if they make it again.