1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Town Hall Barrel-Aged Week

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by motorhed, Feb 19, 2013.

1. motorhed

motorhed Savant (310) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

I know there is a TH BA thread already but that was more focused on the growler discussion - i want to discuss the topic of their BA releases on tap. Anyone make it down there last night for the Twisted Trace BW release? If so, couple of questions: how was it? Was it packed? Did they have anything else worth partaking on the tap lines? Did the keg get killed? Hoping to make it down there at least one night this week...

2. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Hooray for this thread!

I'm hoping to make it there myself this week, but I've been curious how it's going so far.

3. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I didn't make it down there, home with strep throat (about the only thing that could keep me away) but it is amazing. Had it 2x at Winterfest and it was in my top three beers there! What are the other two you might be wondering?

1. Pentagram
    2. Vanilla Darkness
    3. Twisted Trace

motorhed likes this.
  4. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (345) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Twisted Trace is tasting fantastic. IMO one of the best BA barley wines out there. TH was busy but not packed. They should have TT and all the BA beers as they're released the rest of the week.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  5. we actually weren't wondering. if we were, we probably would have gone to the winterfest thread and not the TH BA Week Thread... :D

6. Double Barrel Wale Status Jack Frost will be the first to kick. I doubt that it will last til Friday.

7. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (775) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Anyone headed down tonight? Sound off, unless you want it to be a surprise to the sweaty, unwashed masses.

We'll be showing up around 7:30 or so.

Can't wait to try the Double Whale, but really miss the beer-battered fish.

ben4bier likes this.
  8. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I may make it up tonight. Having trouble deciding which night best warrants the trek up there... Tonight or tomorrow?

9. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

I think the wife and I will be there around the same time tonight.

10. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (330) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

I will be rolling in after 8pm tonight for a glass or two of the double whale.

11. Yep, I will be rolling over there. Probably around 4:30 ish.... I'll try some Trace and then slay wales at 5.

12. Mista

Mista Aficionado (215) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

gamble and come tomorrow. That way you may be able to get Double and Manhattan :D

supercolter and DoctorRock like this.
  13. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Might be there for lunch today around 2. Guy with beard sitting alone at the bar reading BA on smartphone - yep, that will be me.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  14. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

About time someone in this community grows a beard.

Cyclone8 likes this.
  15. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

You think it will catch on?

16. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Don't hate because you've only got peach fuzz.

Steasy66 and tewaris like this.
  17. I am thinking manhattan will last until the weekend. Or at least I hope.

Jack Frost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Grand Cru

prioritize

18. motorhed

motorhed Savant (310) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

Alright, so it sounds like the kegs stick around on the lines for a day or two before kicking. If that's the case, i'm hoping to shoot for Thursday night to get a good variety.

cmannes likes this.
  19. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

No time tonight to grab a pour, but I'll be picking up my whale-in-a-growler tonight around 7:30.

20. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (425) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

How about a Doubel Manhattan?

21. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Twisted Trace. Good God.

motorhed, DBijnagte and Penguin3200 like this.
  22. well twisted trace is the bee's &^$%^*$ knees! :eek:

double barrel wale status jack frost... not so much. Sorry to the everyone that spent $50 on the growler. :(

23. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (845) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

I was there for Twisted Trace for the first pour and thought it was just as awesome as it was at Winterfest. Hoping to come down Friday and/or Saturday for a couple others, since I didn't splurge on growlers.

24. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

It's good, but not insane good. Funny though, my my infected czar Jack from last year that I opened a couple months ago tasted remarkably similar

25. I will be there on Thursday

motorhed likes this.
  26. Let trace warm up for about an hour and it is insanely better. I adjusted my score after I let it warm up. So much smoother.

DBJF tasted like it could have been infected. I put in my review that it had a sour twang. Not impressed (insert photo of mikala maroony)

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  27. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

I'll be there tomorrow night around 830. Hope to see a few folks there!

28. that is when I intend to head down too.

DoctorRock likes this.
  29. DoctorRock

I have a tshirt for you. I was thinking about it & you need it more than I do. I'll bring it tomorrow. Enjoy it!

30. I actually like the one I got/have worn it a couple of times, so I am good, but thanks for thinking of me.

31. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (330) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Having the double jack right now. I get the faint hint of the smooth bourbon stout, but the French oak red wine barrel has taken over at this point. The initial palate hit is damn tasty, but then over-ridden by the French oak. I think time may help this come together as the bourbon and French blend and mellow.

On to the trace!

KWMiles likes this.
  32. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

I was unable to acquire a shirt! I might be at th tomorrow night if I can convince the misses to go

33. DoctorRock

Really? Well, its yours then!

KWMiles and minnesotaryan like this.
  34. I thought the exact same thing. It reminded me of a Three Hour Tour infected growler I had a year ago. My friends and I did finish that entire 3HT growler despite the infection. It was pretty damn good. I enjoyed the Double Barrel Jack Frost but am pretty bummed about the cash I dropped on the growler. Not worth it IMHO. Twisted Trace made up for it though. Delicious!

35. Anyone know when the latest we can pick up growlers is?

36. Growlers have to be out of the building in your possession by 10 pm.

37. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

I believe that he was asking what is the latest(datewise) that you can pick up the growlers

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  38. what makes you so knowledgeable?

39. shirt it forward.

KWMiles likes this.
  40. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

I usually just make shit up, so don't bother listening to me.

minnesotaryan likes this.