1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Town Hall Brewery Grand Re-Opening 4/11

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by elliott1184, Mar 24, 2014.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (330) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

maximum12 likes this.
  2. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Awesome! I've been missing my semi weekly growler of Masala Mama.

Welcome back Town Hall!
  3. Wonder if the open house will involve beer?
    nogophers and Cyclone8 like this.
  4. I suspect not.
  5. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (265) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

Really excited to hear this...because it means barrel-aged week can't be far behind.
  6. Figured as much, but a man can dream.
  7. I was just kidding. You would think they would have beer even if it was from a keg brewed before they closed.
  8. According the the Town Hall Facebook page, there will be a couple of guest beer available for a "steep discount".
    Buebie likes this.
  9. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I think they got back to brewing a couple of weeks ago. Should be plenty of TH beer on hand.
  10. So excited!!!! I am ready to get back to drink Mama on a regular basis. Any word on the BA release plans?
  11. oner0002

oner0002 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Aug 28, 2007

A big FYI for all those original TH geeks like myself:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1419239001666417/?ref=22

no word on which Town Hall beers will actually be available. I think they ran out of most of their beers in the last month and only started brewing 2 weeks ago. What is the turn around on MM IPA?
    McRyan likes this.
  12. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Don't know about the turnaround on MM IPA, but their barrel aged week starts the Monday right after they reopen. These guys were at the Northern Lights festival on Sat and I had multiple glasses of the double barrel Jack Frost. I can hold off on drinking MM IPA as long as that's around...
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  13. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

14. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

15. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

16. Buebie

Buebie Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 11, 2007

I too am looking forward to the new restrooms. Been completely bypassing this area as there is no Masala to stop for.
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  17. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (330) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Soft opening happening right now. Dortmunder, Hope & King, and Dunkel on tap; $3. All entrees (excluding filet mignon) are $5; all apps are $3. Just in case you can't wait until tomorrow. :)
  18. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

19. billhelm

billhelm Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Could be, they usually have 4 or 5 on tap at Town Hall Tap and the Lanes
  20. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (595) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

That is 9 taps too many devoted to ciders. I do like the increase number of taps overall though!
  21. opwog

Might be interesting if they mixed it up with some meads, but I don't know if very many meads are kegged. I have only had one on tap and that was at the Bruery and I think that they only every had it once and then used mead only in some blends.
  22. Anyone know whats on tap now?
  23. Probably dropping by later this evening. I'll update with tap list if no one else does.
    HoudiniRN likes this.
  24. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Blue Nile tapped Surly 3 (a braggot) for their anniversary back in 2009 I believe. Quite unique but an acquired taste.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/47396/
  25. opwog

Braggots can be all over the place, but I don't think that most that I have had are truly braggots (beer + mead + spices), as much as they are beer + honey + spices. I don't think that many breweries releasing braggots are actually creating a batch of mead first.

And now that I think about it, the one that they had on tap was actually kind of a braggot, in that it was a blend of mead (made by one of the early Bruery fanboys) with White Oak Sap, but none of the herbal character of traditional braggots. It was like having bourbon and a cake donut all in one delicious beverage. They also had the mead on separately (all at their 1 year anniversary) that was actually being poured out of some separate tube on the side. I can see that people reviewed both as the same under this listing:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/49570/

So given that the one on tap was actually a mead/beer blend, that still leaves me wondering if any straight meads are available on tap.
  26. When I was there on Friday, they had Hope & King, Dortmunder, Rise of the Phoenix (hoppy red ale on nitro) and a fourth that is escaping me.
  27. Dunkel.

28. Sometimes Redstone Meadery will find their way on taps around town. Only one I've seen.
  29. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Town Hall had a grand re-opening with no Masala Mama??? Blasphemy!
    McRyan, maximum12 and feloniousmonk like this.
  30. Was debuted at Blue Nile. Sorry you missed it.
  31. brewseum

brewseum Savant (275) Minnesota Nov 11, 2004

Geez Al....do you braggot all?
    Douggo and KarlHungus like this.
  32. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

What's the deal with this? They didn't have it on at Town Hall Lanes either..
  33. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

The bartender at Town Hall yesterday said they tried to stockpile Masala before the shut down, but just couldn't make enough. Said the best guess was another two weeks. Sad face.
    McRyan likes this.
  34. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Stockpiling in hopes of serving 4 month old kegs of Masala? Why wouldn't they just brew a new batch in time for the grand re-opening? Seems like they dropped the ball with their bread and butter.
    maximum12, opwog and McRyan like this.
  35. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I'm sure construction dumpsters make great mash tuns, but they probably didn't brew some before the reopening because there was no brewery to brew in until the reopening.

It seems to me the options were they could reopen now and we could wait a few weeks for Masala Mama, or they could reopen in a few weeks and people could wait for all of their beers, barrel-aged week, etc. Personally, I'm glad they went with option one.
  36. I heard they were phasing out Masala Mama and replacing it with a year round guest tap of Saga. (am I trying too hard??)
    cmannes likes this.
  37. Dumb question, but is there anywhere to park around the area besides the ramp at the hotel?
  38. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (385) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

There is on street parking around, some paid, some free (15th street turns into 3rd which has a dead end). However, the ramp would most likely be your best bet if the streets are full
  39. There is a lot across from whee the 400 bar was on 4th street (it was either 3 or 5 dollars the last time I was there). It would be about a 3 block walk.
  40. Perfect, thanks guys!