1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trace Mineral Drops used in water

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ryschwei88, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ryschwei88

ryschwei88 Member

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

3. ryschwei88

ryschwei88 Member

well whenever i use the drops in my drinking water it usually adds a better mouthfeel and literally tastes better. Was wondering if anyone was already using this.

I was also reading Stone breweries book and read this - "Water’s properties in the brewing process are influenced by the amount of minerals the water has picked up as it travels through soil or rock. The mineral profile adds subtle flavor nuances and gives the great beers of the world much of their character."
  4. ericj551

ericj551 Member

There are a number of different minerals that brewers add to their water based on what type of beer and what they are starting with. Calcium, sulfate, magnesium, sodium, chloride and carbonate are all important to brewing, but you want different concentrations for different beers. The drops contain some of these, but you really need to control each individually, and you would need a ton to achieve the concentrations you want.
  5. ryschwei88

ryschwei88 Member

gotcha. thanks!