1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Trade Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by pumpkinsmasher, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pumpkinsmasher

pumpkinsmasher Zealot (503) Nov 12, 2013 New York
    Trader

So I have a situation and wanted to ask how to best deal with it.

Back in April of this year, I setup a trade. When the package to me arrived, one of the bottles was incorrect. I contacted the trader and explained and they apologized and asked if I would be interested in doing another trade so that they didn't have to ship just the 1 bottle to me. I agreed because it sucks to have to send just 1 bottle.

So we worked out another trade over the span of a couple of months. Certainly not my choice as I wanted to finish it sooner, but we both acquired new bottles and it ended up being alright. So in September, we shipped our respective packages. When the other trader's package arrived, this time it was missing THREE bottles. However, there were tons of solid extras in the box. I contacted the trader and he apologized profusely and assured me it was not intentional. I was feeling forgiving and I even proposed an additional trade this time so that they didn't have to ship the three remaining bottles. I never complained or anything to this other person. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake, but it is what it is now.

Anyway, so we have been working on a new trade since. However, the communication on their side has been very poor. I have constantly had to be the one to reach out and follow-up even to get responses. So a month ago, I made a proposal and they agreed to it on the contingency that 1 of the bottles they are unsure of its whereabouts and have to confirm they have it. I continue to follow-up, but through this period of time, I add some bottles and they acquire new things too and so we add on to the original deal some. This trader ultimately is unable to find that contingent bottle I mentioned so in an effort to just get the trade done, I offer to swap it out with another bottle, which they agree to. I also requested a hard deadline of this being completed before Christmas.

Well, the trader came back to me today and claimed that two of the bottles on their side have to be nixed (one of which was previously agreed to a month ago while the other one is newer). For one of the bottles they said they "miscounted" and the other one they said they won't be able to pick it up from wherever it is until Jan. Of course, these are the two best bottles in the trade. I personally think it's bogus on both accounts, but I obviously can't prove it. The trade value has skyrocketed on one of those bottles since, but they were the one who offered it up and agreed to it originally and the replacement bottle offered up for it was a complete joke. The other bottle is quite popular as well.

So..what can/should I do? And am I okay to just pull the deal completely and just ask that the missing bottles be sent to me and we nix the trade at this point? I feel like I've given so much here in the way of compromises and patience and it's not been reciprocated at all. I already offered to swap out one bottle and these 2 remaining ones were the ones I was most excited about in the package so I've lost a lot of interest now.

2. -Rick

-Rick Savant (1,083) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

You can certainly pull the plug now. FWIW, I would have not made a third deal until they had sent the 2 missing bottles. I guess it is possible to mess up and forget a bottle in a package, but for it to happen 2 times in a row, and for TWO bottles the second time is very unlikely. This fella may not be the best person to trade with. Normal trades should also not take months to put together. Lots of red flags here....

theruckus33, rightcoast7 and twizzard like this.
  3. pumpkinsmasher

Trader

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. I should also say that this person has good rep, with over 25 completed trades and no bad feedback.

4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I think the person in question owes you a big "I'm sorry" box and you don't them anything. After that put them on your do not trade list

5. ttp86

ttp86 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2015 Missouri

If I made the mistake of sending you the wrong bottle then it's my dfault for not double checking and should send you the missing bottles ASAP. I think it's time to collect what is owed to you and move on.

6. Yohann

Yohann Zealot (708) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

The other trader's behavior is way out of line. He should send you all of the missing bottles, plus a few extras to make up for the time and hassle. You should get the bottles you're owed and then move on.

If he doesn't send you all of the beer you're owed, in a timely fashion (1-2 weeks), you should leave bad feedback for both trades, and possibly post a Bad Trader thread to warn others.

7. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

Seems to me this is the essence of a bad trader. Got his end of the trade, failed to ship what he was supposed to. Fact it happened more than once makes him seem like a flat out thief.

8. core42

core42 Pooh-Bah (1,826) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If all is as you say it is then he is a bad trader. He agreed to trades for certain bottles then doesn't send them. PS..."solid extras" aren't extras if they fail to include the correct bottles, they are a substitution that you didn't agree to.
    I would be honest & tell him that without those 2 bottles, that he can no longer get, that you aren't interested in the trade any more. Even if he send you the missing bottle(s) at this point I would leave neutral feedback & if he doesn't send what is missing then he is a bad trader....period
    At this point he has the bottles that he coveted & you do not

***Edit....I don't think any solid trader that messed up by sending the wrong bottle would ask for another trade, they would replace it & send extras while apologizing. I've gotten the wrong bottle before & I was told "keep it & I'll send the missing bottle".
    It seems like this is an ongoing bait & switch trade

9. evilcatfish

Trader

JavaNoire and tommyz like this.
  10. blue-dream

blue-dream Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Well to go there the OP needs to name the member, and thats up to him.

11. evilcatfish

Trader

How about it @pumpkinsmasher ? Seems like this trader has had more than enough opportunity to make things right

The_FishermanJay likes this.
  12. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You have two options:

1. Cancel the trade and leave negative feedback.
    2. Out them in a bad trader thread in an effort to get what's owed to you, then leave neutral feedback if they come through.

In either scenario, don't send them anything. If I were them, I'd feel horrible that I packed up the wrong bottles in that second trade and would be bending over backwards to try and get you the beer you're owed, expecting nothing in return. Making a mistake once is fine but doing it a second time and making an even bigger error is unacceptable. IMO, the "miscounting" and promising a bottle that they didn't yet have in their possession and not following through with it after all this jerking around on top of the lack of communication is strike three. They're out.

#12 Immortale25, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    maximum12 likes this.
  13. mythaeus

mythaeus Pooh-Bah (2,050) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Pull the trade, ask him to ship what he owes you, don't ship him anything else and point him to this thread to give him the "last chance" to do as you ask. If he doesn't agree to and follow through, call him out and get mods to move this to the bad traders sub-forum.

evilcatfish and fondyball20 like this.
  14. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

Don't send a thing. He owes quite a "I'M SOO SORRY I F'ED UP AGAIN!" box. Trades shouldn't be this hard.

JavaNoire, twizzard and fondyball20 like this.
  15. fondyball20

fondyball20 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin

I echo what everyone else has said. You should not send another box of beer to this person and he needs to send you a box that includes the beers that were missing from the first two trades. I think this member needs to be named so he can explain himself and other people in the trading community can be made aware.

JavaNoire likes this.
  16. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Agreed with the sentiments above. This is utter crap.

Bottom line is that your original trade has still never been completed by this guy, nor has the second trade. He owes you those bottles regardless, so I would pull the plug, let them know you need those bottles to be shipped in the next few days or you will be forced to leave negative feedback and create a bad trader thread.

17. Beer4B

Beer4B Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Florida

I could be wrong but it sounds like a classic "winner" that has since seen bottles on his side "grow" in value and cares nothing of his word or your time. Bad communication, bad follow up, leaving out agreed bottles and then removing agreed upon bottles...bad trader on multiple fronts.

What 2 bottles has he "pulled" from the trade? @pumpkinsmasher

18. pumpkinsmasher

Trader

The bottles were Black Tuesday Reserve and Hawaiian SS.

19. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

Out the guy already

20. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

Solid bottles. Go figure.

This sounds like your trade partner has his hands in too many trades.

Do not send him anything. Out him here.

HopBroker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.