1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trade Evaluation

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Srkolodn, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Srkolodn

Srkolodn Savant (280) New York Dec 26, 2013

I have a deal being negotiated..

The centerpiece of the deal Is 2 Pliny for 3 Zombie dust.. Is this a fair trade (I'm trading the Pliny)

If not what would need to be added for a traded from Michigan
  2. This should be moved, but that's more than fair in my opinion. Not sure on $4$ but I think you are offering enough. Freshness is key ;)
  3. That's about $4 more on your part than on the other trader's, but of course that might be a non-issue.
  4. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (370) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

Sounds like a fair enough deal to me. As mentioned . . . freshness is key ! Maybe get a Hopslam out of the deal if it's coming from Michigan.
  5. Pzellot

Pzellot Aficionado (120) California Nov 17, 2012

It depends on how bad one wants the beers but 3 IPAs for 2 sounds good to me. I agree with the statement about freshness being key. Ive never had the ZD but IMO Pliny just isn't the same after a 4 to 5 weeks.
  6. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (370) Florida Dec 31, 2006

The Pliny side is a bit more dollar wise, but ZD is the better beer, IMO. Do it, says I.
  7. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

sounds fair. $4$ i think that's even, if not just throw in a few extras to make it even.

the whole concept of a "fair trade" is dumb..if its worth it to you to try the Zombie Dust and you are willing to part with your Pliny's whats the problem? you don't "win" trades, anyone who tells you otherwise is not a good trading partner

trust your gut. If you feel like its not worth it then tell them that, this isn't a business negotiation where you hide your cards and play your opponent
    duketheredeemer and mythaeus like this.
  8. While as long as both sides are happy is good, $4$, it's actually 6:2 ZD: PtE since I believe PtE is around $5-6/ea and ZD is $12/6-pack. I think 4 ZD for 2 PtE would be a more fair deal where neither side would "win".
  9. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (370) Florida Dec 31, 2006

If I'm not trading rares or anything super limited, I like making sure it's $4$ moreso because I don't want to screw anyone and usually they feel the same way. So it's actually for the opposite of "winning." If anything, I don't want to win because I feel like a douche.
  10. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

This should be 6 ZD for 2 PTE in my opinion. That is basically $4$. I certainly wouldn't send 2 PTE for 3 ZD.
    mrkdwrds likes this.
  11. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Agree, definitely should be more ZD for the 2 Pliny. 5-6 would be more like it.
  12. I personally wouldn't bother with a trade that small
    ufmj and huskermike12 like this.
  13. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

You should get a whole sixer of ZD for the two Plinys
    creepinjeeper and nc41 like this.
  14. Srkolodn

Srkolodn Savant (280) New York Dec 26, 2013

haha you got any ZD I want to trade w/ you
  15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Nah we don't get it in Missouri. Hopefully in Southern IL soon though

If you put up an ISO:FT I think you should be able to find a 6 pack for the Plinys
  16. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

2 Pliny = 6 ZD IMO, pretty equal $4$. Still worth expanding given the amount of beer.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Why even bother trading and spending all that money shipping for 3 bottles of beer that average under $10 for all 3?
    Photekut likes this.
  18. This is a lot of headache over $2. Then you have to package and ship it. Who cares about $4$ at that point. Just stuff a box full of beer and see if you can punt it across the country to each other.
  19. The OP said "The centerpiece of the deal Is 2 Pliny for 3 Zombie dust". I'm reading that as this is only a part of the trade, but yes, definitely expand otherwise it's a bit wasteful with the effort and shipping cost.
  20. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

OP, not directed entirely at you, but the state of the trade forum in general...

Can we change the General / Help sub forum to the "Trade Maximization and Stock Market" sub forum?
    Has anyone took a hard look at this place in the past 2 years or so?

Trading used to be about getting to try beers you wanted for beers you had, not worrying if you are getting the exact value you should out of each and every beer you have on the auction block.
  21. While I agree with some of your sentiments, specifically getting the beers that you wanted for the beers that you had is the goal, I don't think it's wrong to attempt to conduct a fair and happy trade on monetary values, reputation/desirability of beers, and generosity and advocacy. Moreover, you simply cannot sustain trading long-term, especially on a limited budget, if you keep spending more and getting less. Likewise, you can't focus solely on $4$, keep on nickel and dime your trade partners each and every time, and expect to keep on trading. There is a happy medium somewhere in both being generous and being fair and both parties involved can give or take accordingly as no two trades are ever exactly the same.

Cheers!
    markgugs likes this.
  22. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

I guess I have always been for the generous side.
    I like losing trades because I like getting new beers into people's hands.

I consistently throw limited releases ( esp Jackie O's ) in as extras because I want people to enjoy them like I do.

If someone is cash strapped ( limited budget ), they probably should be more worried about the cost of shipping than making up exact $4$.

As for rarity, people figured it out a few years ago without clogging up the forums.
    ( Usually a few people laughing at you will prompt better research )
    I got my fair share when I started out in 2006. Dreadnaught & KBS for Older Viscosity was hahahaha.

The general attitude of trading has changed too.
    A lot more people are looking for something for nothing when they post value threads, not a fair deal.
    There is a lot more BS to wade through now for sure.

Now get off my lawn!! :)
    bauermj, pjl44, creepinjeeper and 3 others like this.
  23. I hear you, my friend. My sense is that the majority of these questions are from new traders rather than vets. I was a bit more concerned on $4$ in the beginning, definitely not so much now. Perhaps there are just a lot more people getting into trading now than existing trading vets so it seems to be more of the way you see it.
  24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Just a quick question on IPA freshness, you have Pliny in NY he has ZD in MI, is that out of area too? IMO both of these are only great when they're fresh, and I'm assuming both are out of area brews for both traders. Need to let each other know dates.
    blue-dream likes this.
  25. It's not that complicated...