1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trade Gone Bad

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ColdOne, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

I'm going to get lots of grief here for not mentioning this MUCH sooner. But the trade was a little loose, and I'm not so wild about conflict (especially over beer). But it's been just about six months now, so I guess this post is overdue.

In February I offered up some Heady for trade and @logjammin took me up on it. We had both been involved in a BIF that was pretty rockin' and had ended up in a discussion group (via BM, not a forum). A good bunch of guys who were LIFing and trading quite a bit. I just told him to return the trade BIF style--pick out some stuff he thought I'd like.

First it was Mardi Gras wiped out the selection in the store, then job issues, then more beer not on shelves. The responses from him became more and more infrequent. After about a month not hearing from him, I asked about in late June and he said he was going to make due. That was the last I heard from him, despite recent emails and BMs.

Lots of folks traded with him with great results, but he's no longer on BA it would seem (not since around the time I sent him the Heady plus bonus NEBCO and obligatory Flower Power). Folks I know who have traded with him include @texasdrugaddict, @drbenzo, @Marti403, @Steve_Oldrati, and @zekeman17. Maybe one or more of these guys could help me solve this puzzle (though @drbenzo tried to contact him to no avail).

Again, I realize the etiquette is to not let this go on so long without it being made public, but we didn't use the online system, there was no stated due date and the contents of the return were pretty open. Still, six months and very spotty communication put this over the top.

Thanks for any support the community can provide.

drbenzo likes this.
  2. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Sucks you didn't get your beer, but your second to last paragraph pretty much says it all.

3. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Savant (275) Florida May 17, 2012

First question that hasnt been answered....Did you use the feedback system?

4. He answered that question, see the snippet below from his post.

Sorry to hear about this OP. Hopefully someone can help get in contact. Thanks for the warning, better late than never I guess. Added to my list.

blue-dream likes this.
  5. ColdOne

Seems like you're saying it's my fault.

6. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Not at all, ultimately guy who didn't send you beer is at fault. But there are many loose ends in your situation, best thing to do when making trades is cover yourself as well as possible.

7. ColdOne

I hear ya. Trading with a known quantity (dude in the BIF discussion group) led me to put my guard down.

Sure, we didn't have a specific deadline, but there was definitely a "I'll get this right out to ya, bro" or some such. Maybe it wasn't as loose as I made it seem.

jrnyc likes this.
  8. ColdOne

I received an email this morning… says he's picking up stuff for me while on vacation and will be in touch.

drbenzo, jshusc and blue-dream like this.

9. Which I'm sure he would have done if you hadn't called him out in this thread. :rolleyes:

Pretty sad you have to tag someone to get them to make good...

JavaNoire, AdamP, jshusc and 2 others like this.
  10. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (625) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

@ColdOne did you ever get your beer?

jrnyc likes this.
  11. ColdOne

Not yet, @blue-dream. Got an email this morning saying he would ship out and give tracking on Monday.

12. ColdOne

Box landed today, an assortment of cans mostly from the South including a few each of Jai Alai and Westbrook Gose.. Thanks Kent. Looking forward to trying these

13. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (625) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

Wow that took a while, glad you got your beer and its over. Going to lock this one down.

ColdOne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.