Trade Help

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Scalzo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (410) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I am from Chicago and plan on doing a trade with a friend from Portland Oregon.

Seeing as i am from Chicago and don't trade too often, i am not sure what great beers are available currently. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

I would prefer a big stout or barley wine but id rather get whats best regardless of style. Thanks!

2. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (290) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

You're looking for beers currently available in Portland, yes? Abyss and MoAS were both released recently...

2beerdogs and Scalzo like this.
  3. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Not sure of what your Firestone Walker distro is like(says limited on Seekabrew) but Anniversary XVI.
    Hair of the Dog Cherry Adam just came out but is probably close to impossible to find.
    Abyss and Mother of all Storms are great choices
    Caldera Mogli is supposed to be a great Imperial Porter, but I havent tried one yet so don't blame me if it sucks!

If you want to switch up styles a bit:
    Cascade Noyaux, Blueberry, and Cerise Nouveaux
    Laurelwood Workhorse IPA has just become available again
    Block 15 Kriek was released last month. They're not on Seekabrew.
    Another beer to seek out if you've never tried is Russian River's Blind Pig. Ive found it there a bunch of times.

I think I saw you were looking for a coffee porter...a beer you should buy if you've never tried is Alesmith Speedway Stout....it should be all over down there.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Scalzo likes this.
  4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Scalzo likes this.
  5. Lordkrystic

Yeah, that is true. They use nice reusable shippers also. There are a few you won't be able to get though. Figaro and Cerise Nouveau in the last few months.

Scalzo likes this.
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I love them for the shippers! They are cheap as hell shipping wise once you consider the cost of the "free" shipper you are getting! They charged me $20 for 9 bottles recently - got a 12 shipper which is $16 at BevMo!

You are right in that not ALL beers will be for sale online. Hoping Vlad is.

Scalzo, 2beerdogs and Lordkrystic like this.
  7. Lordkrystic

If not, we'll talk.

Scalzo and evilc like this.
  8. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Scalzo likes this.
  9. guajolote

guajolote Savant (435) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Blind Pig bottles don't make it to Oregon anymore. Keg only.

Scalzo likes this.
  10. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (485) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

OP, since you like "big" beers, I'd suggest HOTD Adam and Fred.

Scalzo likes this.
  11. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (410) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I got Adam and Fred in the only other trade ive done. They were both amazing complex beers

I just talked to my friend though and he recently picked got 6 Doggie Claws and that if I wanted he would trade a couple.... Have you had Doggie Claws? and if so what did you think about it? I would much rather get Cherry Adam From The Woods, but IDK if thats available

He also got an Abyss, and said he was going back tomorrow for Mother of All Storms.

I really appreciate everyones help/advice. Thanks!

12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

Just get a couple Doggie Claws, they're ok. Abyss & MoaS--Absoluitely YES!!

Scalzo likes this.
  13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,075) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I enjoyed my first Doggie Claws last night, a 2010 bottle I've had stashed in the cellar for a couple years. Easily one of my favorite barleywines ever, and IMHO definitely worth getting a couple bottles if you have a chance. I've bought only a couple each year, but I'll be stocking up on more of these from now on.

14. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Fatali Four from upright comes out today
    doggy claws is incredible but it needs a year before it get real good
    mmmmm so good

15. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (810) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I really liked the Commons Bourbon Little Brother that was released a couple weeks ago. Should still be able to find it around town

16. I cracked a 2012 Doggie Claws last night. Totally flat. Last year I opened a 2010 and it was a volcano. C'mon Alan...

17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,075) Washington Sep 18, 2010

This used to bug me. Now it just gives opening a HotD bottle a unique "what's it gonna be this time" excitement that you don't get with most other beers. ;)

Seriously though, my 2010 Doggie Claws last night was very very carbonated, but I didn't mind. I prefer that anyday over a completely flat beer (Bourbon Fred, Matt, even a Ruth I had about a year ago that was completely still and to this day hold the worst score I've ever given to a beer).

18. kscaldef

Yeah, probably best to chill that one way down before opening it.

That said, I'm curious how many other breweries are actually trying to bottle condition & carbonate 10+% beers. As a homebrewer, I understand that it's not that easy.

19. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (290) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

I prefer Doggie Claws fresh - it's damn hoppy for a barleywine. I'll also second kscaldef's Bourbon Little Brother recommendation...a barrel-aged Belgian Strong Dark, very tasty!

20. I had it in the fridge for a day before opening. The 2/3s I was able to salvage were damn tasty. Just wish this wasn't an ongoing issue for HotD, particularly due to the price of their beer. I know that it's random and most of my HotD beers have been fine, but I'm afraid that my Cherry Adam from the Wood and Michael from this year are going to have something wrong with them.

21. kscaldef

From my experience and everything I've heard, this year's Cherry Adam has a nice medium-low carbonation level and Michael is totally flat (as 09 was on release, although 3 years later it is a gusher).

22. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

That's odd. I've opened 8-10 of my 2012 Doggie Claws and haven't had a problem with carbonation. I thought they were spot on, actually. I have noticed a fairly high level of sediment in the bottom of the bottles, to the point I've started leaving an ounce in the bottle to cut down on the floaties. I don't remember that from prior batches.