1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trade help!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by FutureOBrew, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I have found myself fortunate to have a few bottles of IST and BA IST. I am looking to trade a couple but I am not sure what are worthy to accept?

BA IST is a smaller 375ml bottle and the IST is now a pint. Now with that being said I realize not as expensive as some others yet much harder to come by, IST 1 bottle limit at most stores and BA IST Brewery only release (1400 bottles made).

In some recent offers I have received they have included Bruery regulars I can find out here near CT. I have been offered 2 of the RR -cations and a Cascade Apricot.

The problem I am having is these are all fairly easy to get in their local markets. Am I crazy for not wanting to accept some of these or am I actually getting low balled?

Cheers!
  2. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

What is IST?
  3. New England Brewing - Imperial Stout Trooper
  4. You'll have more luck in the trade forums. Put up a ft/ISO for what you think they're worth, if people think it is crazy they will tell you. As you said you were fortunate to get multiples so it doesn't sound like they were too hard for you to get either.
  5. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Just trade for what you want. If you know of something that's tougher to get that you want, ask for it.

Asking other people to tell you how to get the most out of a deal because you don't know what to ask for is a little cheesy.

Just my humble opinion.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  6. mjw52

mjw52 Aficionado (155) New Jersey Jul 14, 2010

I am assuming it is Imperial Stout Trooper. Additionally, this forum should be moved to the Trading Help section.

However, OP to answer your original question, its worth whatever you deem it to be work. If you aren't a big fan of that beer then trade it for something your excited to try. Although it was only a 1400 bottle brewery only release, I dont thing that BA IST is going to pull any crazy whales, however you should be able to pull a non-ridiculous whale brewery only release of some kind. Most likely would be able to get some Black Note that was just released or something of that nature. Remember, its as valuable as you deem it to be. Whoever your trading with is going to over-value their beer and undervalue yours. Get something you really want to try, dont settle. The beer wont go bad anytime soon.
    FutureOBrew likes this.
  7. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

You are thinking into this waaaaaaaay too much. Just trade IST and BA IST for something else that you want that you can't get in CT. If you're worried about being lowballed, check the respective beer pages and look at the wants and gots as reference and make a decision yourself. If you're happy with the trade, who the hell cares about availability, bottle counts, etc.
    LambicKing and FutureOBrew like this.
  8. Agree, I am over thinking this. Thanks for the slap back to reality , much appreciated!
    TWStandley, whiskey and SpeedwayJim like this.
  9. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

My advice... trade with someone well established with a long history and doesn't make a fool out of themselves/presents themselves as a shady character in the forums and 99% of the time, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the trade. For a lot of the more respected and tenured traders on this site, their reputation is a lot more important to them than whether or not they get a "good deal" and you get to be the beneficiary of that.