1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trade Packing Advice for the new year: Don't use packing tape on bubble wrap

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by shuajw, Jan 5, 2013.

1. shuajw

shuajw Member

I know it's been said in the past, but packing tape on bubble wrap ruins the bubble wrap and makes it unusable for future trades. Please try to use blue painters tape, rubber bands, even scotch tape on your bubble wrapped bottles. I've gotten to the point where I just wrap the bottle in bubble wrap and then put it into a plastic grocery bag and wrap the bag around the bottle and toss it in the box. You don't need any tape and you don't have to worry about the box leaking if something happens to the bottle.

I was reminded of this very sage advice today while straightening up my packing material in the basement. One of my recent trading partners must run into this same issue, because he had used about 20 ruined sheets of bubble wrap as stuffing material in the box and hadn't even attempted to get the tape off, the bubble wrap was just torn apart and 75% covered with packing tape.

Trading isn't a cheap hobby, so it's a good idea to make as much of the packing material reusable for future trades.
    Callmecoon, MarkIntihar and ArrogantB like this.
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

As much as I would like to make a stand such as yours I will reiterate my position : TRY and use things in a way that makes them re-usable...but priority numero uno is get my beer to me safely. If that means you wrap every fucking inch in packing tape I will deal with it as I would much rather have some extra packing material than I would a broken bottle.

Cans though? Fuck that, wrap those in packing tape and I will report your ass. ;)
  3. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

I'm going to send you a case of Abrasive wrapped in bubble wrap then Christmas paper wrapped, then duct taped solid. Just for you MM.
    jegross2, jglowe77, gpawned and 3 others like this.
  4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Who was the dude who started a thread whining about cutting a can when opening? Christ I want to get drunk and re-read that thread and make fun of them some more.
    suspect, JohnB87, Gosox8787 and 6 others like this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Once again, if I bubble wrap the packing tape I had no other way to secure it. You won't complain once you see the extras anyways.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  6. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

Just get the beer to me in one piece. Duct tape the entire bottle/can for all I care.

I put a strip or two of Scotch tape on my bubble wrap. If that's a deal-breaker for anyone, I probably didn't want to trade with you anyway.
  7. JeepCop

JeepCop Member

Rubber bands work great!
    gpawned likes this.
  8. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Member

I tape the shit out of the bubble wrap , my main goal is to get the beer to you in one piece - if it makes it there and it isn't broke my mission is accomplished .. I have never had a trading partner complain about how their beer was wrapped ..If they do I'm sending them a huge box with thousands of package peanuts next time..
  9. jl28r1

jl28r1 Member

Just roll them in the free Fed Ex padded mailers. No tape needed.
    I think I might have sent a few to the OP this way. ;-)

Cheers!
    mdvatab and shuajw like this.
  10. Devi0us

Devi0us Member

Gosox8787, claaark13 and MordorMongo like this.
  11. shuajw

shuajw Member

Agreed, that safe delivery is first priority
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

I don't use bubble-wrap at all to cut down on costs.

Materials I commonly use:

"Have you seen this girl" flyers from the mail.
    Foil tops from yogurt packs.
    Yogurt packs themselves.
    The used coffee-grounds and filters I save from my morning coffee.
    Eggshells
    Old packaging from various purchases that are cardboard/plastic packaging like sex-toys and matchbox cars.
    Old Kleenex/paper towels/aluminum foil
    Leaves from the trees outside when in season
    Fur when I take my poodle to the groomer

I do use packaging tape to seal up my cardboard boxes that I get from costco at the checkout however, but one time I used drywall tape/mud to seal the box, but it got wet and didn't stay closed very well.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Once I found this at Walmart for around $8 a roll I've stopped taping anything besides external boxes. I just love the stuff and it lasts a long time.

That said, my job is to get you your beer in pristine condition. Any packaging material you can salvage and use again is great, but not my priority.
    BigGene and tacosandbeer like this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Hahahah ask anyone that has received a box from me lately, I fucking ADORE stretch wrap. Like a BOSS.
    Hanzo likes this.
  15. shuajw

shuajw Member

I'll have to check that stuff out
  16. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

i agree, number one priority is to make sure the beer gets there in one piece. If at the same time you can make the packing material resuable, that is great. Makes it a cheaper hobby for all of us.

I use scotch tape, it comes off easily, doesnt ruin the bubble wrap. While we are at , just a reminder to all , boxed do have a shelf life, they can't be reused forever.
  17. match1112

match1112 Member

Pretty sure that I have annoyed more than one trader with my over use of that stuff.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

I have an awesome trading partner who sent me an Alpine growler. i was so psyched to drink it, but being the knucklehead I am when I tried to open it with all the tape on it, couldn't do it! i was so frustrated. Wife came home and somehow opened it for me!
  19. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

I freeze my bottles in carbonite a la Han Solo

[​IMG]
  20. martin123012

martin123012 Member

i wrap all bottles in bubble wrap then stuff them in six pack holders for 12 oz bottles and for 22oz i take 4 pack holders and cut the dividers and use that, keeps the bubble wrap together
    gpawned likes this.
  21. woodchopper

woodchopper Member

I love to use duct tape that way I know the can or bottle stays in the bubble wrap I also love to tape the box with at least a roll of duct tape just so people struggle when opening :)
  22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

[​IMG]
  23. JeepCop

JeepCop Member

Just discovered stretch wrap and love it as well. I now get it from Uhaul.com here at $5.95 a roll, when I order my styro wine shippers. No tax online and free shipping on orders over $25. Hard to beat IMO.
    match1112 likes this.
  24. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

All things equal, sure, it's nice to reuse packaging. When it comes down to it though, my primary concern is getting the beer safely. I'd rather have noobs do what needs to be done to get it sent safely than worry about saving 50 cents worth of bubble wrap...

Also, you can re-use taped bubble wrap, it just requires the use of more tape. :)
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  25. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Member

It really makes me sad and scares me that people have such difficulties with bubble wrap being taped. It isn't hard to unwrap and open at all.
  26. wingedeel

wingedeel Member

It's a good thing they don't put child proof caps on beer.
    Jnorton00 and Lukafer like this.
  27. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Member

I almost exclusively purchase a new egg crate wine shipper for each trade that holds between 6 and 9 bottles. Each bottle is individually bubble wrapped and placed into a 1 gallon ziplock bag. C&C 750ml bottles get a 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag. I very frequently reuse packing materials, but I almost never reuse boxes.

Lots of the boxes that I have show up at my place look like they've been kicked down 10 flights of stairs, and I'm really hesitant to ship out in them again unless they're in really great condition.
  28. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Member

USE NEWSPAPER BEFORE TAPE YOU NOOBS.

Love,
    Chad.
  29. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Joined a month before you.

Come at me, BroNoob.
  30. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Member

Only a month? I always thought you've been here since 1996.
    lurchingbeast likes this.
  31. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Would have been underage b& at 11 years old.
  32. cavedave

cavedave Member

If you need to tape, or rubber bands or stretch wrap for that matter, you might be using insufficient amount of bubblewrap. Lotsa bubble wrap, into watertight plastic bag, done. Don't be exorbitant with the tape and cheap with the bubble wrap is my take.
    shuajw and domtronzero like this.
  33. nc41

nc41 Member

I don't tape the bottles and bubble wrap, I use enough bubble wrap it's completely unnecessary. I use enough bubble wrap you can turn the box upside down and shake it and you won't hear shit. The down side is that it costs an extra usually to add more wrap and make it sound proof. Sloshing around is your enemy as well as UPS guys chucking the freight.
    cavedave and domtronzero like this.
  34. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Member

As long as the bottles arrive safe and intact who cares how they are packaged is my take.
  35. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Member

Glad to hear this isn't mandatory, like extras. :p
  36. duceswild

duceswild Member

Just bought some of the stretch wrap to try out on my next trade.
  37. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

This is what I think when I hear people complain about tape on bubble wrap:
    [​IMG]
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  38. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

Just curious, but how do you guys use shrink wrap? Only way I can imagine would be to make bricks of 4+ beers and stick them together to save space.
  39. chriltz

chriltz Member

Thread like this make me wonder how the people i ship to at work feel. One thing i ship a lot of is solid glass picture frames...i use about 1.25-1.5 sheets of wrap per frame, then i tape the ever living shit out of it so there are no edges that aren't covered by the wrap.
  40. davey101

davey101 Member