1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trade problem

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by jklinck, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jklinck

jklinck Member

12/18 I shipped
    12/19 He shipped
    12/23 He received
    12/27 my box is damaged and will be returned to sender
    01/08 he receives box back and let's me know what broke
    01/09 No communication
    01/10 I ask for tracking and get no response
    01/13 I ask for tracking and get no response, he has been on ba almost everyday and had a post on 01/05 potentially setting up another trade
    01/14 I send him text messages asking why he isn't responding
    01/14 He has had box 6 days now, says he has the flu and will have a family member send it tomorrow
    01/15 it is now 1:15 his time and I haven't received a tracking # yet

If he has the flu that sucks but if he can have a family member send it today why couldn't he have done the same 6 days ago? And why couldn't he have commnicated with me, especially since he has made numerous posts since receiving the box back? Not to mention that my HT is now a month old.

So, should I out him?
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

So it has only been a week since he got the box he sent out back? I don't think that that is outing time yet. But it does suck that he isn't better at responding (even though he is on the site) and I probably wouldn't trade with him in the future.

That said, I would tell him he has one more week to ship out then you out him. If this is freshness sensitive beer (which HT is) I would ask him to wait until he gets fresh beer to ship.
    jegross2, chase2634 and gklover1 like this.
  3. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

I know it must be frustrating. Personally though I think it is still well within an acceptable time frame. The flu is really getting around right now so I would give them the benefit of the doubt and give it another few days at least.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

He could possibly be really sick? And can't repack the box. I'd give him more time, personally.
  5. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Member

Give him a couple more days, or at least request some communication. Also, tell him to go pick up some fresh HT.
    chase2634 and gklover1 like this.
  6. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

I didn't see HT was part of the trade till now. Month old HT should still be more than fine. IPA's fade but people get really out of hand about their freshness.
    Rutager and youbrewidrink like this.
  7. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Member

I know and I'm sure it's fine. Part of trading for HT is getting to try it as fresh as possible. Who knows where its been sitting for the last month. I'd have no problem drinking month old HT...
    chase2634, smutty33 and Eriktheipaman like this.
  8. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

You shipped on a Tuesday, and he received it on a Sunday?
  9. jklinck

jklinck Member

No it was actually Satuday 12/22. The rest of the dates are correct.
  10. gyinfo

gyinfo Member

yeah but iit's a little shady if he has been putting up ISO in the mean time and choosing not to give a simple reply to the OP as to what's going on? If he said he would get someone to ship it on 1-14 then yeah you should at least give him a day or two to get the tracking number, still shady though IMO.

Best of luck
    gklover1 likes this.
  11. shuajw

shuajw Member

a week seems like plenty of time to repack a box. I had the flu after Christmas and managed to send out 2 or 3 boxes. But I'm sure many people will say, give it two weeks, why not a month. In the meantime the guy will probably screw over some other people. Lack of communication is one of the biggest red flags for a bad trader.
  12. jklinck

jklinck Member

He may be really sick, but he can still type a message. Not communicating for 6 days while still posting here numerous times is proof it wouln't be much trouble to send me a message.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Yeah if he is on the site posting elsewhere and avoiding responding to you that is certainly a red flag, perhaps some of the bottles that broke cannot be replaced by him and he doesn't want to tell you that?
    HopsHopenstein and gklover1 like this.
  14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

You are right man, definitely. Try to be open with him and understanding, if it is the case that he can't replace the bottles, it won't help being aggressive with him. Only time will tell.
    Edit: What are you shorted, maybe some friendly BA's can help you out...?
  15. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Member

I would wait a little longer as well. Due to the lack of communication and posting anyway the caution flag is out. This could be the "send or I am outing you" message.
    black13 likes this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I wouldn't want someone with the flu touching my box. Fuck that.
  17. Kaydogg

Kaydogg Member

new offering ... BA Influenza with wild bacteria...
  18. atoulouk

atoulouk Member

I'd give it at least a couple more days. The guy said a family member was dropping it off today, 1/15, and it's not even the end of the day yet. Maybe the family member will be dropping it off after work...
  19. evilc

evilc Member

I never got the flu shot - until this year - because I do a lot of trading. Paranoia sucks!
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

It's cool, unless you guys are over-nighting packages the virus will be dead by the time it gets to you.
  21. Duffman929

Duffman929 Member

I would fly there, give him a flu shot, make him pack up my box of beer, and have him ship that shit immediately!
  22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Wouldn't you just get the beer at the same time?
    black13 likes this.
  23. evilc

evilc Member

No. The trade post did not say IP.
  24. black13

black13 Member

I concur with the "send it now or I'm outing you" plan. If you have time/energy to post and set up potential new trades, you have time to make good on your current trades. Outing people, or the threat of being outed, tends to get people moving. The time to out a person is an individual choice, but if you're getting a bad feeling, it's never to early to warn others (after you've given them the message that they'll be outed).
    Good luck.
  25. Overlord

Overlord Member

Now we're talking.

And when you're done with him, remember Eastwood's speech in Unforgiven after the showdown with Hackman? You want to shout something like that at all his neighbors.
  26. nc41

nc41 Member

Cans don't break so I assume extra's broke? I'd opt for fresher HT, being that's it's canned every Mon and Thurs shouldn't be a problem. By the time this sorts out 6 week old HT probably isn't your deal.
  27. cfh64

cfh64 Member

Beat me to it. I'd tell him to wait until he's not sick anymore before touching any of my beers. I'd rather wait a week or two then get the flu. If I were you, I'd disinfect the box before touching it and wear some personal protective equipment. BTW, you are now on my do not trade with list until you post a video of yourself burning the box and bubble wrap. j/k
    ant880, chase2634 and gklover1 like this.
  28. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Member

Dare I say, SICK Move...???? ;)
  29. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I bet you like weak-flavored bananas. ;)
    ASUBeer and dachshunddude86 like this.
  30. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

Too soon to out him, you need to give him more time.
  31. Patrick

Patrick Member

I'd be unhappy about the age of the HT. If I'm trading for an IPA, I want it as fresh as possible.
  32. jklinck

jklinck Member

I got a tracking # and it's in Fedex possession, so things are looking better.
    Hanzo, JxExM and ijaap like this.
  33. cavedave

cavedave Member

Excellent news, BUT this guy seems to be a poor communicator, and that is a red flag for all of us to notice.
  34. jklinck

jklinck Member

It actually was the HT cans (2 of them) that broke. Everything else was fine
  35. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

Could he have communicated better? Maybe, but if the guy had the flu, which is very possible, I can see why he is like "F- it I will deal with this later". The trader only had the returned box for a week. Plus his activity on BA setting up another trade was before the box had been returned, and possibly before he got sick.

I understand communication is key, and a lot of people misuse the "life got in the way" excuse, but come on. This isn't a business, this is a fellow BA. If anything I am guessing the OP burned a possible future trade partner. If I was the sender I would be a little miffed with his posting of this. I would send required beer, a few extras but nothing above and beyond like i would have due to the damaged box. Plus it sounds like the trader sent the beer the day he promised (while still being sick, and having a family member drop the box off), the OP didn't even have the patience to wait the rest of the day for a tracking number.
    Gosox8787 and Eriktheipaman like this.
  36. cavedave

cavedave Member

I guess you are right, but

01/09 No communication
    01/10 I ask for tracking and get no response
    01/13 I ask for tracking and get no response, he has been on ba almost everyday and had a post on 01/05 potentially setting up another trade
    01/14 I send him text messages asking why he isn't responding

to me that means he is logging on and disregarding his partner. He made good, that is all that counts. And yeah, it is fun, it is supposed to be fun, why fuck it up by leaving a partner hanging with no communication?

I communicated with every one of my 3 trades during the snowicane when we had so much snow the drive couldn't be plowed and we were stuck in house without power for a week. This is why I cut no one any slack, and perhaps I am wrong for that.
    Krumb likes this.
  37. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

I agree that it is possible to send a message, and most likely if I had received those BMs and was checking BA I would have responded with "I am sick with the flu, I will make sure to get the box out when I am better". But at the same time, I would not start a thread like this after learning why the OP hadn't responded, and without the OP breaking his agreed shipping time.

Sure the first BMs and text (though maybe a little too anxious) were understandable since the OP didn't know the other trader's situation. However, the OP needs to chill out. I cannot believe he started a "trade-problem" thread because it was after noon on the day he said he would ship. I usually drop boxes off at 5pm at my local FedEx because that is when i am done with work and pickup isn't until 6pm, so getting there early is pointless.

Plus asking "If he has the flu that sucks but if he can have a family member send it today why couldn't he have done the same 6 days ago? " tells me the OP has no understanding. Probably because the other trader didn't want to inconvenience family members for what is suppose to be a friendly transaction. Also, most likely the trade was not something on his mind due to his sickness. Plus... it is just beer

Overall, I think i would trade with the other trader over the OP. If I was hit with the flu I would not want someone hounding my ass like the OP, I am not Amazon, or a brewery/store that ships beer.
  38. Krumb

Krumb Member

No offense, but I wouldn't trade with you if your attitude is "no communication/little communication," is acceptable. My communication with trading partners is BETTER than Amazon, etc, when trading. It's called being cordial.
    xxcarpxx, ASUBeer and cavedave like this.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Member

Absolutely, and truth told I noticed that myself. Some learning needs to be done by traders on both sides of this one.
    nanobrew and Krumb like this.
  40. ant880

ant880 Member

Rogue is already using this thread as inspiration for an H1N1 IPA
    writerLJBerg likes this.