1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trade problem

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by jklinck, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Krumb

Krumb Member

This applies, too.
  2. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

I 100% agree. I believe in top notch communication and that there is no such thing as too much communication. I feel I am great at communication with the people I trustee/proxy for (I do that way more than trading).

I also believe in being reasonable (and cordial). Such as understanding when someone has the flu, and actually allowing them to ship on the day they said they would before posting about it. And like I said in the above post, I understand the first two BMs, and even slightly the text, however creating this thread is what I am against. If the trader didn't ship that day, and was full of other excuses, and the week went on with no progress, then yes start this thread. If I was the OP I would have told the trader to hold off on shipping until he was better, not question why he cannot bother someone to send out the beer ASAP.
    gpawned, Krumb and huskermike12 like this.
  3. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

If he has the flu have him burn the box with fire and send you a certified IOU, Dumb and Dumber style
  4. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I've been sick for like 4 weeks, this new bug doesn't die outside of fire, and hot fire at that
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Wouldn't it be more fitting as an American Wild Ale?
  6. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Just crazy enough to work.
  7. jegross2

jegross2 Member

You owe me a beer. Mine just shot out my nose. And that was my last hopslam.
  8. jklinck

jklinck Member

I can see where you are coming from. But the real issue is that he didn't respond to my posts for a week while he was making numerous other posts on this site. If he can make posts to threads (which isn't important) but not respond to me (when he owes me something) then that is just rude and disrespectful. If he would have responded in a timely manner then I would have been much more understanding. Plus even though he said he would have a family member drop it off the next day I didn't really believe him. I've been bullshitted and stolen from by other people in the past and that type of crap usually ends up in a bad deal 98% of the time.

Plus this trade was for Alpine straight from the brewery for HT straight from the brewery. Not Alpine straight from the brewery for 6 week old HT. Yes, the original shipping hiccups aren't his fault, but not responding is. If we were trading barleywines it would be a different situation. And yes, I can easily tell the difference between a week old DIPA and one that is 6 weeks old.
  9. shebby

shebby Member

I agree with you jklinck. The issue isn't as much his lapse in communicating, as it is the fact that he was clearly on BA and had time to make other posts. Look, if you have the time to log into BA and post, then you certainly have the time to send your trade partner a message. It's not that difficult, and yes, it is common courtesy. I've had that happen to me as well, and heard of it happening many other times. When I see it happen, it doesn't give me much incentive to want to interact in the future, because it shows a lack of respect for the other person's time and interests. I sort of wish it could be a Trading 101 rule: Thou shalt not log onto BA only to ignore messages from a pending transaction (especially if trading for fresh DIPAs). For some reason, a lot of people don't seem to get that.
  10. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

I understand. I can see why you would text him, wanting to make sure he wasn't beating around the bush and ignoring you. Next time I would suggest letting the trader failing before starting a thread about him. I know people have gotten screwed over in the past, but part of the trading atmosphere is trust. Hence all the talk about being a trading and BA community instead of treating beer trading like a commodity.

And sorry if my words offended you, I did not mean for it to sound like you were a bad trade partner. I just wanted to make it clear that the other trader shouldn't be jumped on, and that some more thought/compassion/understanding should be used when trading and definitely before starting a potentially damaging thread towards someone.
  11. jklinck

jklinck Member

In
    In my future trades I'm going to indicate that good communication is part of the trade agreement. And that not responding to messages is breaking the trade agreement. By trading phone # you don't have to worry about them not being able to communicate on BA (internet connection messed up, got banned, etc.)
  12. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

communication is a big part of trading no doubt finding that line can be tricky.
  13. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Member

Was he located near the brewery? It is possible he bought you some new HT and shipped the fresh HT instead of the original cans. I think it's a bit presumptive to assume the beer is old if he is located near there which your post seems to suggest.
  14. jklinck

jklinck Member

No, he's about 6 hours away.