1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

trade value of beer when....

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by bman_85, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (290) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

you get a steal on it.

full disclosure: after paying $7/bottle for 3 bottles of bcbs on first release I saw a case sitting at a local grocery store. grabbed a 4/pack and asked for a price check. they had no clue so they told me $4.99. clearly a steal but not wanting to be greedy, i only took 2 and left the others. My wife, knowing how happy i was to get such a good deal, went back the next day and bought the 3 remaining 4/packs which they charged her 8.99 each. so final total $37+tax for the 5 4/packs (or roughly 7.40 each).

so when i posted a ISO:FT earlier seeking heady for bcbs 1:1 it got me thinking when someone asked what the cost of the bcbs was. I responded with $20 considering that is approx the value of the beer but does that make me an ass considering that is not what i paid for it (and made a comment about it in the underpriced buys thread which others can see)? Obviously a 1:1 trade bcbs for heady is in favor of the heady in normal circumstances.

food for thought....
  2. The cost was not $20 but the current market value is $20.
    Pahn likes this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I think the general consensus is $ value is MSRP. Pretty sure anyone who has been doing this very long has at least one story of mis-priced beer.

My story you ask? Ok, sure!

About 4 months after Rare was gone from shelves in Indy area I was in this little town of New Castle buying some vodka actually....behind the counter I spy a sexy Rare box and inquire if for sale. Owner, with a very relieved expression tells me how he got 6 and sold 4 right away but the last two have been sitting idle this whole while. I ask him how much and he says man if you buy them both I will sell them to you for $30 each. I couldn't grab my wallet fast enough.
  4. Nice - I saw one this past weekend and it was $75. Goose Island is my favorite but my wife had just agreed to hit up Tired Hands this weekend and HF for the Norma release, so spending $75 on a bottle of beer was pushing it. I only wish I could go back and grab the bottle :(
    JxExM and Eriktheipaman like this.
  5. If you posted and ISO 1:1, then cost is irrelevant. I wouldn't lie about it, but the trade is fair. If I won a case of BCBS, I would still expect to trade it for what it's worth and not say "You got me, I'll send it all over to you for nothing".
    abecall98, powpig2002 and kbuzz like this.
  6. MordorMongo

Honestly $75 isn't that bad at all. Many will say it isn't worth it, but a LOT of people on this site would pony up $75 in a heartbeat for Rare. It was 50ish in Indy area when it hit....range 45.99-55.99 iirc.
  7. MSRP is the easiest way to go. I don't get caught up in a buck or two here or there anyway, but I'm not going to give up $30 worth of a beer for a $14 bottle just because somebody bought it at a store that gouged them on it.

Honestly, knowingly paying $5 for a $20+ 4-pack makes you an ass moreso than what you do with it on the trade market. Store owners are people too, and it's not nice to take advantage of them like that.
  8. I bet its worth $75. Frankly, If my wife had not just agreed to a few beer trips in the next three weeks, I would have definitely bought. FWIW - I was lucky enough to stumble upon a supply of cherry rye and coffee yesterday. Been an odd and lucky week with GI.
  9. I dont agree with this premise. If I want a beer, rarely will I let cost factor into the decision. I'd hate to lose out on a something I really want because of a few bucks.

Secondly, I do not believe the OP took advantage of anyone.
    yojimbo1 likes this.
  10. Of course he did. He paid $5 for a 4-pack that he knows should be going for $20-$25. That's the very definition of taking advantage of an employee's mistake. That's bad beer karma right on the surface, but what happens if that employee gets in trouble and has the excess taken out of their paycheck? How would you not feel bad about that?
    black13 likes this.
  11. bman_85

all i did was grab a 4 pack and ask for a price check. the manager (not some high school kid) is the one that gave me the price saying that he prob was under and he knew it from the start. the next day when my wife went there they "fixed" the price to 8.99. I dont know how much they paid and i made no effort to suggest a price to them. I asked, they told, i bought. simple as that.
  12. He asked for a price - was quoted one - and completed a purchase based upon the quoted price. Was he supposed to dispute the quoted price? How did he know the product was not on clearance?
    ediaz likes this.
  13. Simple really - "I think you're accidentally quoting me the price for one bottle - the 4-pack should probably cost closer to $20 - you might want to double check with your beer pricer/manager". If the beer guy/manager/whatever comes back and says "yep - it's definitely $4.99 for a 4-pack", then go ahead and buy guilt free. But otherwise, the ethical thing to do is to mention it so that nobody gets in trouble over it. He knew the price was wrong.

The 4-pack as one bottle is actually a super common mistake. (Cuts the other way too) I've pointed it out just like this many times.
    kscaldef and JohnfromPurdue like this.
  14. bman_85

It was not an accidental single price. He made it up out of thin air. Would not scan, called back to offices and they knew nothing.

Regretting even bringing this up
  15. Fair enough - if you feel you did everything you could to ensure nobody got in trouble over it, then I'll let it go. It's just a pet peeve when people brag about their "steals", which literally are "steals" because of an employee's honest mistake.
    black13 likes this.
  16. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I bet the price was actually supposed to be "per bottle" not "per 4-pack".

At a store I frequent they used to sell the 7oz Rogue bottles for half the price (~$2.50/bottle rather than ~$5/bottle). Although I had never bought any of these, I asked the beer guy why his were half the price of all other stores. He told me that's always been the price. Well, the next time I saw him he told me that it was entered into the computer wrong so it had always been priced wrong. Turns out, it was a human error. This is likely what occurred here.

I have to agree with cbeer88 and say I think you took advantage of the situation. Even your thread states so when you state you "got a steal". Beer karma is real. You could have LIF a 4 pack to someone and still be well below the actual cost of the remaining 4-packs.
  17. MordorMongo

So then, anyone else ever get anything on the cheap?
  18. I knew a friend that worked at CVS back in high school and sold me a bottle of Grey Goose for $.01 does that count?
    pjeagles and MordorMongo like this.
  19. CVS sells Grey Goose? I didnt even know they sold booze, let alone good quality shit.
  20. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Never. In fact, I even go so far as to never pay sale price either, but in fact ask that they charge me full price in order to keep up my highest of moral standards.
    whiskey, stupac2, wingedeel and 15 others like this.
  21. Depends on the state. This was in Ca. and to be honest I think it was still Sav On at the time. To my knowledge I have only stolen 2 times in my life and that was one (he also sold me 3 packs of Macanudos which was awesome). Don't get me wrong I don't feel bad about it I worked there for almost two years and hated it. But still I acknowledge it wasn't right.
  22. Well played
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  23. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I go by brewery price. If I pay more, I lose. If I pay less, I win. End result? Fair and even.
  24. That's some bullshit. The CVS I work at sells barely sells beer. The best I could do is a sixer of Blue Moon.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  25. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

It happens, if ur in the beer scene long enough you are bound to get a deal eventually. I paid 3.99 for my bottle of cuir when it came out, the store employee didn't realize it and neither did I until I was at home which was an hour away so there wasnt much I could do.
  26. bman_85

So it seems to me that a store can purposely overcharge and I'm an idiot for paying and if they accidentally undercharge me I'm an ass for not paying full price. This is all to confusing, switching over to tap water from now on.

</thread>
    bryanole27, harrymel, JulianB and 2 others like this.
  27. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

For some reason, a month or two ago, there was a shipment of Madame Rose that a number of places were selling for 7.99. Don't mind if I do.
  28. More drug store walez
  29. When i was younger I'd rip a dollar bill in half, fold it up and put it in the money slot for the bus. I'd use the other half for my ride home. I bet that's the reason it's so expensive now.
  30. I was buying some burgers at a fast food joint years ago. For this story, the total was $9.00 and therefore I handed the teenage cashier a $10 bill. She started handing me back change as if I had given her a $20.

I politely said that I only gave you $10, thinking she would be grateful for catching her mistake. Instead, she gives me the smart ass eye roll and sarcastically tells me, "you gave me a $20".

Since her attitude was so annoying, I walked away with the free meal plus $10.
    JxExM, abecall98 and JustXBeer like this.
  31. Yup you are right that aint beer
  32. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Scaldis Prestige de Nuits for 6 bucks at the local CoOp. Killer score.
  33. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Agreed. We wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble for buying to much inventory and then having to discount them. :rolleyes:. In fact I think it is my responsibility for making sure nobody gets in trouble for their mistakes.
  34. It's a store's responsibility to determine their pricing correctly, not the customer's. If they had priced it at $40/pack accidentally, would you have disputed the price or simply assumed they were trying to gouge you?
  35. but who will think of the poor corporations : (
    abecall98 likes this.
  36. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Yeah, every third or fourth date with my wife, I claim to have "forgotten" my cash - then she pays. It's awesome. A system I employ to this day.

Then we get home, and she forgets that she paid for dinner, not I, and still gives me what I wanted in the first place. ;)

To the OP: don't listen to the other bullshit. You gave the seller an opportunity to adjust their issue, if they decided (owner, employee, or otherwise) it's not your responsibility to run their business. Good on ya. 'Merica!
    yojimbo1 likes this.
  37. Once, when I was a kid, my parents allowed me to sell a bunch of old toys I no longer used at a garage sale and keep the cash. After the sale was over, I had $60 and couldn't believe my new, remarkable affluence. I rode my bike down to the store to buy some baseball cards, which was clearly the smartest way for a twelve year old to spend money. This grocery store had just received a bunch of the brand new Upper Deck brand of baseball cards I had read about in Beckett. I was like hell yes how much are these? They had no clue since it was such a new product and sold them to me for fifty cents a pack since that's what all the crappy Fleer and Topps cards sold for. I knew these were supposed to be around $3 a pack so I sure as hell bought three whole boxes of them.

I netted seven Ken Griffey Jr. cards, which ended up being a BCS Rare type of whale a few months later. I sold them for $50 each and was kid rich for months. If that makes me a bad person I don't really care because no one was hurt, there is no hell, and after all, I was just a kid.

I bet a lot of BAs used to collect baseball cards. We buy and trade beers in a very similar fashion, and seem to have the highest morals in the whole goddamn world. Mercifully, my little friends back then knew nothing of self righteousness or baseball card karma and just thought it was awesome that I had stumbled into all those griffey jrs and the subsequent windfall. Maybe it was just because I bought them all tons of candy. If you share your BCS with everyone I bet there will be less judgment.
    yojimbo1 and given2flybrewing like this.
  38. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

But wait, are you sure your town is charging you the correct amount for the tap water? Because Shipyard allegedly wasn't aware of Portland's mistake...

http://www.pressherald.com/news/mistake-in-brewerys-sewer-bill-costs-city_2012-02-03.html
    F2brewers likes this.
  39. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Back in 2008/2009, I purchased a case of Abyss 2008 for $12 a bottle, and used some of those to trade. In March of 09, I found a few cases of Abyss on sale at the price of $8 a bottle (The good old days when BEVMO put past seasonal stuff on sale), so I bough another case. I traded some bottles out of that for $12. I did extra out about 4 bottles though, I was feeling very generous.

You got the deal you found, you reap the rewards, not random traders. If you trade your BCBS 4 packs at $5 a 4/pack, the other trader gets the deal in the end, and you don't, the deal you worked hard for, very hard for.
  40. I've got banker boxes full of 1980's and 1990's commons that I will trade for beer.