Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Trader Joe's Mission St. Anniversary

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Kopfschuss, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (560) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Just wanted to let you guys know this beer is available now. Picked up a bottle over at the Hollywood TJ's for $3.

2. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (600) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

Who makes this now that Firestone Walker no longer does?

3. jag21

jag21 Savant (335) Washington Apr 21, 2010 Verified

I got one the other day, it looks just like the Anniversary 2012, with the FW foil around the cap, so I think FW still makes this one.

4. guajolote

guajolote Savant (445) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

If it's Minhas, it's probably not even worth picking up for $3.

5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (560) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Drank mine last night and will say I am not in a huge rush to stock up on more. I'll pull out the 2012 I have in the cellar and see where it went before doing so.

6. pjdipes

pjdipes Zealot (90) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Google says it's Steinhaus Brewing that is making the 2013 version. Firestone Walker owned?

7. Has anyone seen what went into the blend for this year's?

8. BuckeyeOne

I've researched the answer to my question. FW recently sold Nectar Ales and I was confusing that with Steinhaus. Unless something else has changed, Steinhaus is still owned and operated by FW; therefore, FW makes Mission St. beers still.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  9. A few reviews say Unibroue? Are these different beers?

10. My bad. I got it figured out.

11. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (685) Texas Oct 14, 2009

So how it is? From what I understand this went from a tasty barleywine (for the price especially) to a so-so imperial brown ale?

12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

From the one little sip I had the other night it's pretty damned sweet. Even for the price I won't be buying any of this. I still have 3 of last year's in the cellar that I haven't even been tempted to drink lately.

13. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (835) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

"Steinhaus" is a "dba" name used for a number of the Trader Joe's-owned brands, regardless of which brewery they contract, so it can be assumed they own the name, not Firestone Walker. For instance, the "Frugal Joe's" label from the era when Schell's in New Ulm, MN was brewing it:

[​IMG]

The city listed on the TJ private brand beer labels is the most accurate way to determine the actual brewery. In the case of the OP - "Paso Robles, CA" makes it a Firestone Walker-brewed beer.

14. BuckeyeOne

I stand corrected.

15. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Champion (795) California Sep 4, 2010 Verified

It's still Firestone Walker. The cases of the 6 packs usually come with FW packing slips still.