1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2012 is out...not listed on here yet!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerDocT, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BeerDocT

BeerDocT Aficionado (235) Georgia Aug 12, 2011

Just picked up a bottle of this Unibrow brewed beauty. Am trying to write the first review as we speak.
  2. What is the it the Unibrou equivalent of?
  3. rovaj

rovaj Disciple (70) New Hampshire Jan 13, 2008

let the "last year it was way better" comments begin!
  4. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Last year it sucked actually.
  5. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Agreed a year is much better
  6. debohop

debohop Aspirant (35) Nov 4, 2012

picked up a case on saturday
  7. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Unibrow? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess....
  8. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

People probably aren't as excited about it as they were in previous years...last years release was pretty lame.
    tronto likes this.
  9. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

There's not a direct equivalent, but I guess I'd say it's a poor man's Trois Pistoles.
    Eriktheipaman and Gstolas like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I thought '11 was delicious, and almost impossible to beat for the price of $4.99. I will certainly be hitting up TJ's for multiple '12s.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  11. I thought '11 was unpleasantly (oddly) mentholated and medicinal and generally disappointing...even for a mere 5 bucks. Can anyone give a description of this year's? I'd love to try it, but a Trader Joe's that sells alcohol is out of my way, especially if it's like last year's...
    tronto likes this.
  12. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

I had a 2012 yesterday and it was fantastic fresh. Much better and more balanced than 2011 IMO.
    tronto likes this.
  13. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Hmmm, still thinking. Ok, I'll try one. $5 is a pretty cheap taster, and worse case- it's a tick.
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I submitted a correction request to BA a while ago about this series of beers, to no avail. It's listed here as brewed by Trader Joe's Brewing Company, but it says right on the label (and cork/cage, IIRC) that this beer is brewed by Unibroue. What gives?

I had the 2010 not too long ago, thought it was certainly worth the $5 or $6 I paid for a 750.
  15. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Promise? Cuz i hated my 1 bottle of 2011...
  16. pmoney

For realsies.
    pschul4 likes this.
  17. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I shall report back with results after I crack a 2012 at Thanksgiving
  18. pmoney

Promise? ;)
    huadog and pschul4 like this.
  19. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Aficionado (225) New York Oct 21, 2004

2008 was the best of the Vintage ale that I've had.
  20. It's brewed for Trader Joe's by Unibroue. Do other contract breweries show contract beers under their name? Most likely not.
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Do other contract breweries put their name on the label, and put their logo on the cap/cage? (Honest question; I don't know.) I didn't see anywhere on the Vintage Ale bottle a reference to Trader Joe's Brewing Company; the only name I saw was Unibroue. To me that made enough of a difference to request a correction.
  22. True about the cap, but yes other breweries will put their name on the label. Brewed by XXX for XXX.
  23. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I actually really want to taste this now that we finally have a Trader Joes in Fort Worth. I really enjoy the oatmeal stout too that they sell.
    njhopspop and MilkManX like this.
  24. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

Looking forward to picking one up this weekend! ;)
  25. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

ugh.. just bought 3. As bad as last year. I know its cheaper, but not worth it.
  26. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2008

I've had this beer since it came in 05. I believe the early years where great for the price. 08 is still my favorite. 09,10,11 got a little crazy with the spices and such. The current reminds me more of the early years. I usually by 2 cases each yr but skipped the past 2. Gotta like the Unibroue yeast taste though!

Cheers
    Eric B
  27. I thought the spice character on last year's (once it had a little time to calm down) was actually quite nice (if a bit odd)...the wife and I wished we'd bought two!
  28. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I will have to see if my local TJ's has this. I have never had it!
  29. Opened a btl the night before last. Tasted like cough syrup. Oddly sweet and strange spice notes. Not a winner but not as bad as the Italian beers Tj's sells
  30. I will look for this, but Mass sucks not allowing all stores of a chain sell beer. I feel an exception should be made when the beer is brewed specifically for the store.
  31. We all know you meant ooo-knee-brew ;) But yes, an Unibroue beer for $5! A diamond in the rough for sure.
  32. Seriously... a 750ml bottle of Unibroue for $5 is totally worth it. I opened an 2009 Vintage Ale last Xmas and it was delicious. Remember this is a Belgian strong dark ale, they're intended it sit and rest for a bit. This beer is no exception. Can't wait to pick up a few bottles.
  33. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I believe either Maudite or La Terrible. I was told, but I've forgotten.
  34. Trader Joe's on Memorial Drive in Cambridge sells beer, they usually have MBC Peeper for $5 as well.
  35. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

About to crack this one for a review. I liked last year's, so I guess I'm in the minority.
  36. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Couldn't you just drive back to the store and by another? :mad:
  37. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Review is up. I gave it a B- if anyone cares (they don't).
  38. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Picked up 3 of these up today. I'll probably have to go back and get more. I enjoyed last years version, so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I put a bottle of last years in the fridge also to do a mini vertical.
  39. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

Oh no its in the brow of the beholder, i crack myself up haha
  40. i liked last year's quite a bit. it was awesome for the price.