1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2012 is out...not listed on here yet!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerDocT, Nov 2, 2012.

1. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Didn't want to hear that, last year's bottle is still sitting in my fridge!
  2. We just got a TJ here in the Roch. NY area I wonder do ALL stores carry this brew ?
  3. The store in Pittsford Plaza has it- $4.99
  4. Thanks Joe
    How is it ?
  5. Me, I just drink beer - I've read all about how folks here "age" it, but that's all been obscure to me. In my state (MA) there are only a couple of TJ stores which carry beer, and I was near one yesterday so I grabbed four of these. I've had one. The aroma and flavors seem very muted to me, and the carbonation way too high. I found this kind of surprising, since the only other Unibroue product I've had (La Fin du Monde) I thought was damn near perfect out of the gate, and $11-12 for four 12 oz of those isn't really that much different from $5 for a 750 of this, which in my mind and at this point is nowhere near being in the same league. I have some spare, unheated closet space upstairs and winter is upon us, so I guess I'll see if a few months in storage will make this more appealing. But it basically seems to me like TJs contacted Uni and said "we need x thousand cases at no more than $15 a case landed in the US" and this is what they got.
  6. khooke

khooke Disciple (65) California Nov 21, 2012

I didn't take notes of last years, but from memory this years (just opened a bottle) seems less 'medicinal' - I thought last years had very noticable alcohol content and was almost like cough syrup. Agreed, it's not the normal style of beer I drink (I prefer IPAs), so last years was bit of a surprise, but I still enjoyed it and I think I like this years even more. Will definitely be branching out to try some other Belgian Dark and Trappist styles.
  7. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

I hated this year's vintage. Too spicy and unbalanced. Didn't drain pour it but came close.
  8. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

You guys are lame. I drank my 2010 last year, and the 2011 is still aging, so I don't know its lameness yet. ;)
  9. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Enjoyed last year's, enjoying this year's even more. Best deal of the season.
  10. This year's is pretty good but I enjoyed last year's better.
  11. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (310) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

This was my first year drinking this. I enjoyed it. I split it with my Brother in Law in Pint glasses and we both liked the spicy notes.

12. Neither. It's not a clone, and AFAIK, none of TJ's beers are. They're unique beers only available under their label, despite the fact that they're brewed by Unibroue, Firestone-Walker, etc.