1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Traders remorse...

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

I'm not regretting my first trade, per se, and I'm really looking forward to tasting the beers I have coming, but I lament the loss of one of the beers I sent. That being said, I wouldn't change a thing, if that makes any sense. I'm assuming others have lamented departed brews...mine was a 2012 KtG...what were yours?
  2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Member

Never, every beer I ever sent out has gone to a great home! They were always exchanged for great stuff from awesome BAs. Never look back bro.
    YaKnowBrady, Shoo65 and woodchopper like this.
  3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

Yeah...like I know my Kate will be appreciated...but I miss her...not all broken up over it though...I mean Christ...I'm getting Westies...and some great imperial stouts that I otherwise may never have tasted...I don't regret the trade...just miss that bottle lol.
    ales4baldo and woodchopper like this.
  4. gklover1

gklover1 Member

Be ready for all folks coming in arguing the have NEVER been remorseful.

I call BULLSPIT!!

Anyway, once did a trade of KH for Citra. (That was before I really understood the value of cellaring vs DRINK IT NOW!)

Obviously, like yourself, I am glad I hooked a good BA up. But it even burns me still when I see him post in random threads about how little he gave up to get KH. I knew I was being generous, and I got to try a top 20 beer that I was interested in...

Still, I miss her. )-:
    ales4baldo and oldp0rt like this.
  5. beenitty

beenitty Member

If you believe in beer karma, don't regret what is lost just expect it will be replaced and rewarded with (insert new whale here) in due time.
  6. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Member

I haven't lamented any beers that I have sent away. I have kept contact and communication with all of my trading partners after the trade has been completed except for one. I get where you are coming from, but in the end its nice to think that you shared a beer with someone that they have enjoyed and would not have otherwise gotten. In the end trading is about being happy about what you sent and received.
  7. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

I like that outlook...I think I'll go with it. :)
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I don't think I have had much remorse, and any time I have had it it was because the beer I traded for wasn't as good as I hoped. Even in those cases I am happy about the relationships built and the fact someone else got something they wanted that I hoped they liked.

I will say this is why I very rarely trade fruited loons. I mean I have and may in the future but I certainly would have to be pretty dang sure I am going to equally like what I am receiving, which is tough because you know.....fruited loons.
  9. huskermike12

huskermike12 Member

Traded for KtG '09 (infected), '10, and '11. Man I gave up a lot of good beer. I should have tried one before trading for the vert. Bad decision. At least I learned to try a beer before trading for a bunch of them based on hype.
    franklinn likes this.
  10. harrymel

harrymel Member

Only regrets are trading away beer I'd not yet tried - dumb move. Turned out I loved the beer I sent away and wouldn't have done so otherwise.
    whiskey and AlexFields like this.
  11. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Member

I regret trading for Leon. But on the other hand I got to meet a great dude that I'm sure will enjoy a BA Speedway!
  12. glitchedmind

glitchedmind Member

I'll give you 4 of mine (at the next release) if you're up for the same trade again. ;)

For you to hook him up with a KH, for a $7.50 1200 bottle+ kegs bi annually released DIPA, and then him brag about how little he gave up for it...sounds like a delta bravo to me.
    alamode and Beerontwowheels like this.
  13. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

I've had many trades where I didn't like the beer I traded for as much as the beer I gave away. But, I definitely wouldn't say I regret them at all. The fun of the trade, the extras, the experience of trying the new beer, sharing my beer with others... that's all worth something way beyond the taste of the bottle I drank.
    dachshunddude86 and raffy313 like this.
  14. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

I'm the one receiving the bottle and I have to say we worked out a trade pretty easy. I can say that I sympathize because you don't know what you're getting and you know what you're giving up. To give the OP a little ease of mind, I'm sharing the bottle with other BAs in Colorado and I'm not hoarding it or using it fro trade bait.
  15. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

Remorse isn't really the right word...it's like that feeling you get after you buy a car or something big...like holy crap I just spent how much? But then you dig the car and it's all good. Glad I could spread the love...and super stoked to get the opportunity to taste things that I otherwise may not have...this trading thing is pretty cool.
  16. jl28r1

jl28r1 Member

Trading beer never tried is not a move Harry would make! Say it isn't so.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  17. UNCCTDawg

UNCCTDawg Member

Like many of the previous posts have already mentioned, the only "remorse" I could say that I have is that I sent away beer that I liked more than what I ended up receiving after I tried it. BUT, with that being said, aren't we all here because we're interested in trying brews from different breweries and seeing what we do and don't like? I've found over the last few years that I can focus on the brews that I like and leave the ones alone that are highly rated, but aren't necessarily my type. If it takes a few trades that don't really benefit my tastes to accomplish that.... It's all good at the end of the day.
    whiskey and jl28r1 like this.
  18. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

no regrets ever. it's just beer, I love to send kick ass boxes and get kick ass boxes in return.
  19. raffy313

raffy313 Member

The only time I've ever regretted trading a particularly "special" beer, was when I found out that that particular trader was using that beer(Westy 12) as bait for another trade. Generally I don't really care what you do with the beers I send you... but the special ones... the ones that I send just so my trading partner can try it for the "first time ever", and then use to try and land something else... that burns me a little.

I got self beer in return for that Westy and accepted the trade just so he could taste one of the(if not "the") best beers in the world.
    cavedave likes this.
  20. ales4baldo

ales4baldo Member

I never trade what i traded for, thats why i bought Beats, duh!
    funhog, Lare453 and cavedave like this.
  21. whiskey

whiskey Member

That made me chuckle, but in a "that sucks bro" kinda way.
  22. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

Only had two so far. I traded a Beatification 003 for a 2005 Cantillon gueuze without asking what size bottle. Of course a 375ml showed up which was pretty disappointing but it was my own fault for not clarifying first.

:(

Also traded several 2006 Abyss back in 2007 for Founder's breakfast stout (not kbs).

23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Christ man, can I interest you in anything from the Midwest?
  24. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I traded a Churchill's Finest Hour for a Double Barrel Aged Zhukov. After tasting what I got, I wish I had my CFH back.
  25. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

26. Itoclown

Itoclown Member

I regret tradin away Bourboun County Rare too early. And not buying another bottle. Don't regret anything else. I had two bottles of CBS I traded but I figure I live a mile from Founders. Ill have it again.
  27. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

You guys should post the details of the trade, otherwise how are we supposed to know who won?!
  28. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

I once traded some miller high life for a few loons. I think got the short end of the stick.
  29. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Cool story bro.
  30. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

All I care about is winning tradez.
    Jnorton00 and Lare453 like this.
  31. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

We're both getting to try new beers that we might otherwise not have been able to try...I'd say we're both winning.
  32. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Member

Never had a regret with any of my own personal trades that I have set up but I have seriously been disappointed with past BIF's that I have been a part of. I think it falls on the creator to communicate well with everyone and keep in touch as it continues and not just the beginning and end.
    brooklynbrews likes this.
  33. cavedave

cavedave Member

I have only regretted one trade and that was with a douc..., errr, fellow named mikesgroove, who had to be hounded for a month to make good on his end, and his end was a time sensitive beer, and I wound up wishing I still had the beer I sent (esp. now as it hasn't been released again) but at least I didn't get stiffed like some folks.
  34. BigGene

BigGene Member

I never had remorse for trading something away, I don't trade away anything I have not tried. If I cant get 2 then I just drink the one I have. I am a one and done kinda guy anyway. If I have tasted it I can trade it!
  35. miketd

miketd Member

If it's any consolation, you got the better beer IMO. I once traded a BA Speedway for a Consecration... but I knew exactly what I was doing. After all, it is only beer and sometimes(most of the time?) the more common shelf beer is better than the rare beer people like to have in their closet(cellar)...
  36. Siggy125

Siggy125 Member

Back in 2010, I acquired quite a few BCBVSs. To the point that I was trading them very freely and actually giving some away. I wish I had a few of those back.
  37. chpueblo22

chpueblo22 Member

Could be worse...I traded away all 12 bottles of CBS I had by the same logic. Blurg.
  38. Itoclown

Itoclown Member

Haha u ass!
  39. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

Beer the new baseball card ;). Seriously though, if I ever get fortunate to find a rare beer in my area, I will definitely buy some for myself before I even consider trading them.
  40. aasher

aasher Member

I have the opposite feeling. I love that others have been able to try CBS, Rare, other Bourbon County variants, BA Dark Lords, Upland Lambics, etc. sharing the wealth is what trading is all about!