Trading beer across borders

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Ivanhoes_Backpack, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hey,

I live in Canada. Unfortunately, Canada does not have a very strong presence on BA and the only beers I haven't really tried are from BC. Just wondering what the logistics are regarding shipping beer from the US to Canada (ie. shipping costs, duty, legality, etc.). I'm sure someone must have some experience in this area. I'd love to try some Russian River or Founders or Goose Island, you know, some of the big ones you won't find around Atlantic Canada and/or Maine.

Thanks!

2. You'd be surprised at the awesome beers we have in BC. Many worth trading for. Local breweries are amazing right now, something like 7 new ones opening soon. I also have all 3 US brands you listed ;)

As for shipping beer across the border yes it's illegal. But people do it all the time (don't use FedEx)

If you are close to a US border, you can setup a cross border mail receiver. You'd still have to bring back across the border yourself and pay whatever duty/tax applies.You would have access to all the great US beer websites that way :)

There's a thread in the Canada forum pretty close to the top about crossing the border etc. But when you consider the cost of yourself having to drive across the border, pay duty possibly, it's much cheaper to find someone who's willing to ship right to Canada. I had a box of 12 different 3 Floyd's sent to me no problem. Cost $50 to ship the return package from BC though...

afksports likes this.