1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading for a rarity just to trade it for something else?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by musicman7070, Jan 23, 2013.

1. This seems like a huge and expensive pain in the ass.
  2. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

I always thought before that it's your beer and do with what you want until I traded with jimpapadop. I traded some beers that he then turned around to trade it for the exact thing I trade it to him for except more within days. I can't explain why as I was happy with the trade it just made me upset and he is now on my own personal do not trade list.
    Photekut likes this.
  3. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Trading for many people is a hobby, and consuming the beer is secondary.

I personally like to trade for a beer and immediately put it up in a FT: offer, often times before the box even lands. I have thoughts about the person who I beat in the previous trade and low-balled him out of his bottle sitting at his computer, drinking the old IPAs I sent him as extras, while he beats his fists into his keyboard, cursing.

Like I said, we've all got hobbies.
  4. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

This is generally why I would re-trade something, but even then only if I didn't really like the beer.

I did recently conduct a trade where I requested a specific bottle to send along to a regular trading partner because it was one of his top wants and I'd had it several times at tastings, but had no bottles myself to trade.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I don't care what you do with the beer I send you, it's now yours, you own it.....but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a little bummed if I went out of my way to get you something cool I thought you'd like and you sent it off to someone else.
  6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Tickers gotta tick.
    Flippers gotta flip.
  7. mocktm

mocktm Savant (355) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

Pretty much never re-trade beers. All that really does is make Fedex richer and me have less beer to drink.