1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Trading for Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by PoopChute69, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Has anyone ever actually landed one of these? Or are they pretty much just all white whales that no one ever actually drinks?
  2. vande

vande Advocate (555) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

I spose it depends on which one... :)
  3. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Advocate (605) Massachusetts May 28, 2010 Verified

I've landed plenty, but like you said they are not for drinking
  4. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Best bet is to find a trader from B.C., or someone in Washington that makes the trip up there occasionally.

Again, it all comes back to building solid trading relationships. As a new user, this can feel daunting, but the payoff is very much worth it!
  5. davey101

davey101 Champion (820) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Since your a noobie I'll respond truthfully. It will take a LOT of beer. BCBS Cherry is a good start but you might have to add locals.
    Hanzo, PoopChute69 and robinsmv like this.
  6. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I just wait for my trading partners to send them as extras, but that may explain why I've only gotten one :D
    davey101 likes this.
  7. davey101

davey101 Champion (820) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

But Leon is a wale!
    robinsmv likes this.
  8. robinsmv

Cantillon makes Leon? Holy shit the value of my cellar just went up!
    PoopChute69, FUNKPhD and davey101 like this.
  9. robinsmv

In all seriousness Cantillons are like the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Most people know the exact amount of floaties in their bottle and polish it weekly with a baby diaper. Every now and then someone takes one for a ride which ends in disaster and regret.
    Hanzo, Gehrig13 and omniscientcause like this.
  10. vande

vande Advocate (555) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Shit. I need to go back and count now.. I knew I forgot something....
    franklinn, FUNKPhD and robinsmv like this.
  11. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (515) Texas Apr 13, 2010

You know, after thinking about proposed questioned, I don't think I've ever traded for one, but all my came from New Orleans through family there. People on the forums want too much for their bottles.
    franklinn likes this.
  12. I've traded away lots and traded for lots. They actually trade quite easily, you just need to be realistic. To put it into perspective, King Henry had about 4x the bottle count as the annual US distribution of the most popular Cantillon (Classic Gueuze). More limited 'loons can see less than 1000 bottles per year imported. You're probably not going to land a Cantillon Lamvinus for anything you grabbed off of a shelf in the last year...

What kind of stuff are you offering up for them?
  13. paulys55

paulys55 Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Aug 2, 2010 Verified

I take them for a ride often and it almost always ends up more like this...
  14. stakem

stakem Poobah (1,015) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009 Verified

I dont understand this thread...

Am I not suppose to be trading and drinking my cantillon? Is there an unwritten beer agreement that in the event of worldly disaster, cantillon becomes the new means of currency?
  15. LOL we've got Cantillon sitting on the shelves here in Vancouver. Just traded 3 of em for what I feel is something great in return.
  16. mkabull

mkabull Savant (405) Massachusetts Nov 2, 2007 Verified

Get ready for your inbox to be full.
    DaveHack likes this.
  17. I Love Cantillon Gueuze, Never really had trouble landing them until now. Used to trade locals for them, but I recently made an order at Etre Gourmet. Gueuze is probably the easiest to find. and I love the beer. Most Cantillons are like gold to folks though. Good luck landing some. Im always after it
    ajcormier and ArrogantB like this.
  18. really? I don't think anything we get here is super rare. Heard AB is getting Fou Foune but not us.
  19. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (455) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I have traded some bottles of Classic Gueuze, which were then replaced via Être Gourmet, at a slightly cheaper price than what I paid here in the states.
  20. mkabull

May not be "rare" but any Cantillon flies off the shelves here. It goes in minutes. That is why we have to trade for it.
  21. Happy to help if I can! Sent Msg btw
  22. aasher

aasher Poobah (1,260) Indiana Jan 27, 2010 Verified

You would have to be loony to trade away Cantillons!
    franklinn, Photekut and robinsmv like this.
  23. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Savant (425) Manitoba (Canada) Feb 9, 2009 Verified

It's possible, I traded a ton into the U.S.A. last year. It does take either brewery-only or shelf-wale type stuff, as anything else can just be ordered online and delivered otherwise...
  24. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (515) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Basically, most Belgian traders like me find out that pretty much everything Americans are interested in, is either Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen. Even when I want to trade some fairly local or common stuff, almost every question or offer I get involves "off the shelf Cantillon". I hate to disappoint, but the streets aren't exactly overflowing with the stuff here either.

Therefore, brews like fresh Fou Foune gets hoarded the shit out of just for trade material, and that disgusts me to no end. The beers are amazing, but there's better gueuze out there. I'm more of a 3 Fonteinen fan than Cantillon, but apparently everyone only wants the really crazy 3 Fonteinen stuff (Framboos, Malvasia, Millennium, 50th Anniversary, ...), whereas even the most common of Cantillon will fetch a lot sometimes. I've seen fresh Fou Foune ($10 at the brewery) go for Black Tuesday ($30) 1:1, which is just silly.

Then again, I guess it's all a matter of supply and demand. I won't go around hoarding a whole bunch of bottles just for the sake of trading, but sadly the people that do have that mindset force me to head to the brewery close to launch and fetch as many bottles as possible. Bah.

But hey, let's not be a hypocrite here. It's not like I'm trading Americans for their run-of-the-mill lagers.
    Jones153 and tacosandbeer like this.
  25. mkabull

Fou Foune for $10! I am jealous. I have heard tales of shelf Cantillon but haven't seen any in years.
  26. tbadiuk

Out of curiousity, can you get Stille Nacht Reserva 2010? I'd be interested trading for that one, in case you're looking for Bruery beers. ;)
  27. Dennoman

I'll one-up you. I already have SNR, but I don't have any to spare :) It's a glorious beer, but it needs a few years of cellaring anyway. Too many residual sugars. Talk to me again in 2 years and we'll see what we can do :D
  28. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Advocate (720) Vermont Apr 9, 2009 Verified

"I've seen fresh Fou Foune ($10 at the brewery) go for Black Tuesday ($30) 1:1, which is just silly"
    You need to remeber that's in Europe, Fou Foune off the shelf in the US is close to $30
  29. Dennoman

And? Black Tuesday off the shelf here (in like, one shop) is $120+ :p So even calculating by our prices, it's silly :p
    Shmeal likes this.
  30. tbadiuk

That's why you need to go get some extra SNR! :p I'd easily be happy to trade a bottle of Chocolate Rain (next spring) for a couple of bottles of SNR. (At least I think that's sort of close to $4$?)
  31. Dennoman

Why, don't you know I can simply get Chocolate Rain for one or two bottles of Fou F-? Oh shit.

No worries, I'm sure SNR 2010 will pop up aplenty over the next few days/weeks/months as people couldn't keep their damn mouths shut about it on "the other site", but I've been spending enough on them as is. I really want a few for myself to cellar, it's amazing stuff :) I put great value on integrity towards the brewer, and Kris at Dolle said he'd hate to see them pop up on the internet in mass quantities.
  32. This is a huge issue in the US as well with just about everything that is limited. Some traders just hoard as many bottles as they can get only to whore it out in trade.
    hooliganlife likes this.
  33. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (485) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Cantillon is meant to be enjoyed in a slightly dirty frozen Oktoberfest stein.
    Treebs, libbey, ShogoKawada and 4 others like this.
  34. I wouldn't trade my Fou Foune for a Black Tuesday. I wouldn't trade it for two Black Tuesdays. Not even three. Not for a Rare. Not for a KH. But maybe for a Blabaer :) Maybe
  35. tbadiuk

I'd trade my Fou'Foune for two Brambles, or probably a Vanilla...:cool:
  36. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Advocate (605) Massachusetts May 28, 2010 Verified

37. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

This thread is confusing.

To answer the OP's questions, I've received a number of Cantillon bottles in trades, but I've bought more off the shelf (I seem to get lucky a lot...). I've also drank a pretty good number of bottles. They're all quite good (except Bruoscella and St. Gilloise, I don't really like those ones).

I also agree with the guy who says that 3F gueuze is better. I like it better fresh, I like it better aged. Unfortunately that shit's also hard to find now...
  38. I traded my Upright sole comp for a Cuvee de Champions, my only trade. I am lucky to land a couple bottles of Cantillon a year where I live and I just drink them! That is of course after I take them for a long walk on the beach and to a dinner and a movie :)
    Jones153 likes this.
  39. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Advocate (645) California Sep 25, 2010 Verified

You guys could have been nice and told the OP about Etre Gourmet and Belgium in a Box.
    libbey and PrinceCaspian72 like this.
  40. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (855) Oregon Jun 11, 2010 Verified

Etre was mentioned 2 hours after the original post. Reply #17.
    Wowcoolman likes this.