1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading for Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by PoopChute69, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Somebody's totally jelly of my drinkin' style. Don't hate bro
  2. jsjames

jsjames Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 24, 2008

I wish I would have know when I went to Belgium in 2010 that this beer was this hard to find here. I sat in the brewery and drank a bunch of it (first time and loved it). And it was so cheap the buy the bottles there, I couldn't believe it. I brought a bunch of beer back but none of it! Bummed every time I think about it.
    franklinn likes this.
  3. Don't turn the lights down too low, someone will switch your Loon for a Bud Light Lime.
  4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Is there a rough list of rarity/demand?

Seems like the hardest to get is Fou Foun (of their regular lineup), and the easier ones to land are the Rose de Gambrinus, Kriek, and Gueuze, but I might be off.
  5. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Canttradillon
  6. I'm in the process of trading for a couple, but most of the Cantillon I've acquired has been through finding it on a store shelf. That said, if you don't have a source at a place that gets it telling you exactly when it will arrive, you're probably out of luck on that front.

EDIT: For reference, I'm trading a few bottles of Abyss for an equal number of some of the easier to get Cantillons.
  7. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Savant (300) New Mexico Nov 3, 2009

Just go to belgiuminabox or etre gourmet and have it delivered to your door within 5-14 days
  8. I just got an unexpected email last night from a beer guy at a local store that he came across a bottle of Fou Foune and Gueuze that he had put aside for me at some point that I had no idea about!
    chuckycheese likes this.
  9. It was mentioned, but not everybody wants to drop $300 on a box of beer just to try a glass of something that the majority of people don't even end up liking that much. You order online when you want to enjoy regularly drinking a $25/bottle intense sour - not while you're still trying to figure out how to get ahold of your first bottle.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think it goes Fou Foune > Mamouche/LPs > Iris/CdC/Bruoscella > Kriek/Gueuze/Gambrinus. There's probably some movement in there depending on how much you prefer certain things, some people really dislike Mamouche, and I think Bruoscella is pretty divisive too.
  11. What about Saint Lamvinus?
  12. stupac2

Forgot about that one, Vigneronne too. I guess those would go in the middle two tiers, but this isn't a science and will all vary between people.
  13. I'd say it fluctuates quite a bit based on most recent production, as Cantillon doesn't run a regular schedule. For example, maybe 18 months or so ago (right before Cantillon got crazy), they had huge quantities of Bruoscella out but there was a severe Kriek shortage. Bruoscella was below Gueuze on the list for a while there and Kriek was harder to find than most bottles. Likewise, Vigneronne was easy to get for a while when Iris was nowhere to be found - lately they seem to be vice versa.

As for general scarcity, Fou Foune is really no more rare than the Lamvinus/Mamouche/LP range, it's just been a crazy high demand ever since the false rumors that they were going to kill it off.
  14. stupac2

I thought that it actually was more rare as well, but could believe that it's not.

Also, this is as good a place as any to ask, is this year's Fou Foune less fruity than other people remember? I remember drowning in apricots, but this one seemed pretty subdued when I had it.
  15. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Rule 27 of BeerAdvocate: All beers are less good this year than last year's was.
  16. stupac2

I actually think this year's Abrasive is the best yet. My god that stuff is delicious.
    franklinn likes this.
  17. For trading, I'd say the demand is something like this:

Fou'Foune
    Lou Pepe Gueuze
    Mamouche
    Lou Pepe Kriek & Fram
    Vig / Lam
    CdC (Gilliose) / Iris / Bruoscella
    Kriek / Gam / Classic

The "spacing" above is up to debate, but I thought I'd try to at least scale it a little bit...
    cbeer88 and domtronzero like this.
  18. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I think LP gueuze is more rare than FF. I never see that getting traded and I haven't seen it at a store nor heard of it hitting CO in four years.
  19. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Maybe you should drink it.
    davey101, ilovermont and PoopChute69 like this.
  20. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

But then he wouldn't be able to mention it in threads like these...
    pschul4, davey101, rrryanc and 4 others like this.
  21. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Well I was going to offer to trade you one..but keeping your profile limited, limiting who can send you messages, are both flags in my book. I'm sure you can land one if you try.
  22. I agree, it actually is more rare, however I can't remember the actually numbers anymore. For demand (trading) however FF takes the top. Mamouche is actually brewed in about the same volume as FF as well I believe.
  23. BTW, if people only knew how good LP-Gueuze tastes after 3-4 years it would be in more demand than Fou'Foune. Thank God it tastes no better than Classic Gueuze for the 1st-2nd years, otherwise I'd never be able to get it! :p
  24. stupac2

I've seen LP Gueuze on the shelf more than I've seen Fou Foune. I don't think either of our experiences says anything about the relative frequencies.
    I don't think that knowledge would really affect how much you silly Canadians can get.
  25. ArrogantB

Lolwut? My experiences are more valid than yours bro.
  26. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

This all seems weird to me. I'm a complete noob (completed 3 trades, about to complete a 4th) and besides Blåbaer, which got me some good stuff, no-one has been that interested when I've offered Mamouche/St Lam/Cuvée d G/Bruocsella/LP in order to make a bigger trade (to make it worth the trouble to ship internationally). My (admittedly few) trade partners were mostly interested in the Blåbaer and whether I had any Framboos. So I had sort of started assuming that "off the shelf" Cantillons were not all that hard to get in the US (or at least not hard enough to get to merit international trading).

Oh well, got some Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 coming my way next week, let's see if that get any bites ;)
  27. I'm guessing the problem you may be running into is shipping costs. It costs a lot to send overseas, so only the "really rare" stuff is what people will usually trade and/or trade for sadly.

On the Stille Nacht Reserva 2010, do you know how much you're getting? This beer is something I've been looking for but it's turned into a bit of a pain! If you are getting extras please BM me, as I'm not scared of high shipping costs! ;)
  28. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

LOL you guys are noobs.
  29. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll bite. I'd probably be interested in some shelf loons too.[​IMG]
  30. I still don't understand how you guys see any Cantillon on shelves these days. We rarely get any in this area anymore, and when we do, it's a certifiable event and gone within hours, usually before it even hits a shelf...

FF is just crazy popular with people right now, but I really don't think it is as limited as LP Gueuze or even Lamvinus. As little as maybe three years ago, Fou Foune sat on shelves almost year round, but LP Gueuze was always impossible to find, and Lamvinus was the most popular limited 'loon so it was sporadic. Plus FF tends to release annually like clockwork, whereas the others tend to be all over the place.

Net-net I agree that FF holds the most trade value, but it still all stems from the incorrect rumors of its demise.
  31. stupac2

Yeah, here too, I just get lucky a lot.
    I think it helps that Fou Foune is also delicious, and apricot/peach flavors are pretty unique and very few people make good apricot/peach sours. Sours with cherry, berry, or wine/grape flavors are pretty common, but if you want the unique aprocot/peach flavors (I'm grouping them together because I think the end result is similar-ish between the two fruits) and complex sourness, it's basically just Fou Foune. (Pechish Woods and Cascade Apricot are both good, but not as complex.)
    Kaydogg likes this.
  32. readbaron

Don't forget about Fantasia. That beer is pretty fantastic, and will be back, right?
  33. stupac2

Sadly never had it. I think Upland has one too, but that's too rare/sporadic to really count. Other than the three I named, I don't know of any good apricot/peach sours that are made regularly. Which is a shame, really.
  34. readbaron

Agreed. I'd like to see more of them show up.
  35. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Yeah, Fantasia and Peche'n'Brett should both make reappearances next year.
    readbaron likes this.
  36. stupac2

I'm glad RR seems to have made Compunction seasonal, although I'm very, very mad at myself for not getting up there in time to try it this year. It kicked for good about an hour before I got there.
  37. Plenum

Plenum Aficionado (225) New Jersey Apr 29, 2009

Cantillon can definitely be traded for. I've done a number of trades over the years where I either sent bottles or received bottles. Getting it from stores now requires a bit of good timing, and sometimes having a good rapport with the beer manager. That said, I ended up with over a dozen bottles of Classic last year just by going into stores where it was shipped. However, for any other variety, I had to put in an order with Belgium in a Box.

Good luck in your quest. And as previously mentioned on here, there are other fantastic alternatives. Cantillon has the best name recognition right now, but Drie Fonteinen's Oude Gueuze and Doesjel are both excellent. Girardin Black Label is showing up in more places now, and that's an excellent choice as well. Even Boon's Mariage Parfait is pretty good. And if Tilquin comes to your area, track it down. It's just as good as anything out there. I've got a decent amount of all of them in the cellar, but it's come with some patience and a legwork to make it happen.
    Wowcoolman likes this.
  38. tony32408

tony32408 Aficionado (215) New York Sep 21, 2009

http://belgiuminabox.com: Cantillon Fou' Foune 2012 0.75L: 37.00 before shipping. Doesn't seem that unreasonable if you really wanted to try it.
  39. I have bottles of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic bio, Looking to trade for Cantillon Classic, Bottle for bottle. The only difference between the two is the label, and Lambic bio is organic. If anybody is interested let me know :)
  40. ArrogantB

Just curious but why? The yellow label is a bit cooler in my opinion but the old label with the mash tun was the best.
    nrs207 and LambicKing like this.