1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading for Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by PoopChute69, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Dude I'll take all the St. Lamnivus off your hands that you can pack and treat you very well. Hit me up :)

2. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Unfortunately, it isn't in stock though.

3. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think if someone is willing to do an international trade, they are also willing to order from Etre or Belgiuminabox. So, while those beers are hard to find in a store in the US, they aren't that difficult to order online.

4. Ive got the label with the pissing fountain. I like the Yellow label alot more, just a novelty outlook I guess. I think the ones I have are the Organic Gueuze, if not please correct me :)

I also like the Old mash tun label, but never had a bottle when they used it.

5. Tnudish

You have gueuze BIO bottles

6. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Biggest noob thread ever right here

domtronzero likes this.
  7. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

You know they can be easily purchased from your computer, right?

8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

same thing
    Its all the same gueuze just a different label.

robinsmv and loony4lambic like this.
  9. ArrogantB

Shhh!

10. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I don't think he has any idea

robinsmv likes this.
  11. Tnudish

I'm aware it's the same exact gueuze, he was asking which bottles his was classified as though

12. ArrogantB

Classified according to whom?

13. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

That's true, I didn't realize until recently that they deliver to the US. Belgiuminabox overcharges massively for the rarer stuff though, but I guess it doesn't matter if you really want the beer. How does the shipping compare to paying for a USPS box yourself (if you trade)? When I've ordered from Etre to the UK the shipping charge is €44 (recently increased from €30), which I find somewhat prohibitive.

14. Tnudish

I don't know if this is a trick question or what? The Classic Gueuze label has the normal Cantillon guy falling over in chair logo while the Gueuze BIO label has the fountain pissing picture. It's the same gueuze, just labeled differently. He asked which his was, I answered him....

15. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

No, I get mine from generous BAs who throw them in as extras. I find it much easier then paying international shipping and dealing with those euro thingies.

16. analbumcover

analbumcover Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2012

Really? How do you go about this?

Never mind, I like this idea better. Who are these people and how can I trade with them?

LiquidDegenerate likes this.
  17. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I'm not sure if I can tell you. They are all members of a secret trading pact who throw around whales like they are mere guppies. I may have already said too much by speaking of their existence. The only other thing I can say without fear of their wrath is you do not want to piss off this group of trade mercenaries or they turn into BA assassins killing any trade that you could possibly win. They will purposely lose the trade themselves to beer block you.

18. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

"euro thingies" /facepalm

19. Ted didn't we already hammer that one out a while ago, by the way i drank every bottle of Cantillon i traded for and it is always worth it. Always willing to trade for more Saint Lam, Vigneronne and Fou.

tbadiuk likes this.
  20. I ordered a large (30kg, iirc) box from beer planet, and the shipping to the us was 94€ (!)

21. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I actually thought the prices including shipping from Etre were pretty comparable to what we pay retail here in the US (if you would be able to find it o_O) . When I placed my order back in October, including shipping, it worked out to be roughly (in USD):

Rose deG - $23
    Classic Bio - $18
    St. Lamv - $32
    St. Gilloise - $29
    Vigneronne - $29

(since they were all 750ml bottles, shipping charges were allocated evenly across 10 bottles)

Even if these prices are off by a buck or two, your time and headaches must be worth something.

22. huskermike12

That's actually even a little less than we pay in Iowa except for the Classic, so yeah, much better choice.

23. sherm1016

Yeah, I think if we were to apply shipping as a percent of the bottle prices before shipping, the price on Classic get much better. About $13 I think. But it seemed to make more sense to me to apply it as a flat amount per bottle, since I could sub in a much more expensive bottle of St. Lamv for the Classic and have no increase in shipping.

EDIT: Just to reaffirm - we don't see Cantillon here in WI but once in a blue moon, so I really don't know for sure what the retail prices are.

24. HenrikO

This actually seems pretty competitive. I consider my earlier question answered: there is no need to trade for non-whale Cantillon as you can just have them shipped to the US.

Except if you need your fix when Etre/Belgiuminabox are out of stock, of course.

25. sherm1016

One cost that I did not build in, as it was not an issue: it is technically illegal to have alcohol shipped into the US for personal comsumption, unless it goes through a legitimate importer. As such, US Customs can and does seize shipments from Etre/BiaB. Not sure what the seizure rate is, but if, for example, it is 1 in 10, you would want to add another $2-$3 per bottle to account for seized orders.

26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Instead of trading for Cantillon I just made friends with LambicKing and started a tasting group with him in it. Much easier.

:p

27. huskermike12

This is the main problem especially for things like St. Lam that is almost always out of stock when I look.

28. Ugh - loon inflation these days is ugly... Classic Gueuze used to be an $8-$9 750, Rose/Kriek/Vign $13-$15... only Lamvinus was ever a $25-$30 bottle. And I'm only talking 2-3 years ago at these prices regularly on US shelves.

If you're paying $30 for a bottle of St Gilloise, you're really doing lambics wrong... you can get a just as good (often better) bottle of Girardin or others for half the price.

redblacks75 likes this.
  29. sherm1016

The Gueuzes that I have seen in Milwaukee in the last year (to the best of my knowledge, and I look pretty closely) are Hanssens and Tilquin. $10/375 or $20/750 for either, IIRC. Or course Lindemans Cuvee Rene at $5/375, and probably some Boon. Might also be able to find some St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition if I hunt for it, but I don't recall there being a recent shipment of that either.

No Cantillon. No 3F. No Girardin. Some of that stuff hits Chicago, but when it does, it doesn't last long from what I can tell.

It's very possible that St. Gilloise is not worth $30 a bottle. But how the hell would I know (or better yet, try it so that I can make that decision for myself).

EDIT: Timmermans has been available in Milwaukee as well, at somewhere aroung $15-$20 / 750ml.

30. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Pricing on loons is all over the place these days. In the past year, I've paid anywhere from $25-35 for a St.Lam, $18-25 for LP. I've gotten both Classic Gueuze and Kriek for $13. And I was extraordinarily fortunate enough to get a FouFoune this year for a mere $20, half the price of ordering it from Belgium!

31. Yeah, I'm not saying don't try it, I'm just saying this Cantillon craze is getting way out of control when people are paying $30 for a basic gueuze. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Cantillon plenty, but the other brands are 95-100% as good for a fraction of the price. People are now buying Cantillon just because of the name, which is silly. It's become a farce, really - look no further than these two beers, which are identical:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/11888
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/1703

The US label has a 4.32 while the Euro version has a 4.15. That difference is the American 'loon hype in numbers right there.

I can appreciate that your local stores might not get everything, but if you're going to order online, you can order other brands just as easily for a lot less money. Girardin 750's are like $4 on Etre vs $20 for a Saint Gilloise.

32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Not much love for De Cam. Obviously none of you are golfers.

33. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Savant (385) California Jun 16, 2008

Only problem is De Cam seems to be harder to get then cantillon. I would swap a case of cantillon gueuze for a case of De Cam gueuze any day of the week =)

34. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Alternatively, those two numbers are within the pDevs of each other and as such are not distinguishable.

I think that people pay way, way too much attention to the headline number and not nearly enough to deviations/variances. It's entirely possible for differences that seem large to be utterly meaningless, as is the case here.

Incidentally, even if the difference were meaningful there are other potential explanations (such as Europeans having more reliable access to gueuzes so rating them lower in general, Europeans rating all beers lower in general, etc).

pschul4 likes this.
  35. HenrikO

Love me some De Cam. De Cam Oude Lambiek is made of pure WIN.

ASUBeer likes this.
  36. I love De Cam, but it's much more rare, and more expensive.

Perfectly valid point, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that makes them indistinguishable. If people rated honestly to a 5 point scale, sure, maybe. But they don't, and damn near every halfway decent beer on this site falls within the same pDev range. Which is why many people ignore them. Otherwise you may as well just move to a thumbs up or thumbs down rating system.

And yes, there, are many other potential variables at play. We'll never know, but given knowledge of the beer scene, there's little debate that there is a Cantillon hype boom going on at the moment, and with hype tends to come inflated ratings.

37. Tnudish

All this lambic talk is making me thirsty....

MrKennedy, sarro and cbeer88 like this.
  38. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

De Cam is more expensive and harder to find, sure, but it needed some love here anyway. For those that haven't had it, make the effort to find it.....worthy. And yes, that is just like, my opinion man.

39. sherm1016

1. I've ordered 1 bottle of St. Gilloise, just to try it. If I turn around around and start ordering it on a regular basis, at that point we can have discussions on why it is a bad deal relative to other, similar beers on the market. Maybe it is just a "basic Gueuze." I'll decide for myself though, after trying it.

2. Including shipping, Girardin Black Label on Etre would have been about $15 USD. Certainly a great deal relative to the St. Gilloise (assuming I agree that it is just a "basic gueuze"). Not as great of a deal over Classic Bio, or similar 3F offerings. All these things would need to be weighed and decided at the time of purchase, taking into account what you "want" versus what premium you are willing to pay over a similar, lower priced alternative.

Cheers!

40. Fair enough. I just don't think most people are taking the same calculated approach as you. More like "OMG Cantillon is the best and all these other brands suck in comparison and I don't care how much Cantillon costs I need it all!"