1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Something that really gets my goat is when someone posts an ISO:FT and you respond with exactly what they listed out and you get no response. - This goes out to you SpeedwayJim.

At the very least respond with something like this

- Thanks for you offer, but someone else responded sooner
    - Thanks for offering what I was asking for, but someone else offered up a bigger want
    - I know you offered up what I was asking for, but I changed my mind
    - I know you offered up what I was asking for but you're a dick and I don't want to trade with you.

I guess in short just respond with something. If I am off base with this let me know.

Any other "Pet Peeves"

2. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

If you are referring to a Wanderer for Rare trade based on recent threads, did you see this on his post?

"EDIT: This one is closed. I got about 20 BMs since I posted this 20 minutes ago... you people are animals. Will work something out with as many people as possible but I apologize if I don't get back to you as there were too many offers."

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/iso-rare-ft-the-wanderer.36073/

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-rare-iso-lots-of-options.36660/

Looks like that was way down on his list anyway...

If you are not referring to that, maybe it is because you have JoshVandy listed as a trader.
    ...see bad trader list

SatlyMalty, Pahn, ant880 and 4 others like this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I agree with you wholeheartedly - it's annoying when someone who's looking for a trade doesn't bother to answer an inquiry. It doesn't happen often, but I generally make a mental note the person isn't responsive & move on.

However, some advice, which is worth exactly what you're paying for it - calling out a specific person, especially one that's been around a while, is just going to start a poo-storm. Much better just to lay out your peeve in general terms without getting specific.

ant880, Duff27 and cavedave like this.
  4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Defining "off-the-shelf"

5. Someone telling me, "the $4$ is off" when it's less than $5. blegh.

6. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

My only pet peeve is not winning the trade

7. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Having someone send me an offer for an ISO/FT that I posted and then dragging their feet and telling me that they have beers coming in that may change their mind on the offer that THEY posted ME.

landhoney likes this.
  8. This. When its a 1:1 trade and its a 15 dollar bottle compared to a 20 dollar bottle? yeah, I might ask for a random shelf beer. When its a 12 bottle shipper of rare crap in the 150-200 dollar range and you take issue with 5 bucks difference? I'll trade with somebody else.

LumpkinBrews likes this.
  9. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Lack of communication. Days upon days before any response. Drives me effing nuts....than again, that is a relatively short putt anyway.

10. jp7161

I offered the two Armand's, which he listed. All I ask is that you get some kind of response.
    I determined from the Crickets that Wanderer wasn't going to get it done.

The only reason JohVandy is there is I made a successful trade with him with no issues. I will delete him now since you mentioned it.

11. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

When someone replies to an offer, then adds "I know that this is more than you might think I would ask for, but you have to understand this is a rare and tasty brew"

Man that really grinds my gears.

12. jp7161

Fair enough - personally I don't mind getting called out for things I have done, or failed to do, if they are in bad form so I didn't think about it. It's not a personal attack on anybody, just a pet peeve of mine.

LumpkinBrews likes this.
  13. It becomes personal when you list names.

hey5hitgoose, Bluecane and sliverX like this.
  14. jp7161

I just don't view what I said as an attack, and to clarify I did not see that he had edited the ISO:FT so I apologize and I have sent a BM to Speedway as well.

So I am glad someone called me out on my mistake.

Joe

gklover1 and MagillaGriller like this.
  15. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

My biggest pet peeve in trading is usually the person I'm trading with.

16. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

My biggest pet peeve is people refusing to trade their walez to me for off the shelf expired IPA's. Come on, where's the advocacy?

17. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

You guys need to relax, if someone doesn't respond to your BMs, it could be for many reasons, such as a lot of responses. Nothing to get upset over.

18. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Exactly what I came in here to say.

I can't stand when people self pimp their beers.

"Just to let you guys know this is probably the best beer I've had EVER and it was a really limited release [yet he has multiple bottles of it for trade often, ha]."

DSlim71 likes this.
  19. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

Followed by "I just want to spread the love"

GeezLynn, bauermj, ericwo and 6 others like this.
  20. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Followed by an ISO of:

"004
    Ann
    Deviation
    BA PiaPT
    One off Cantillon/3F
    BA DL
    Rare+
    3x KH
    Framboos

Willing to add locals!"

Overlord likes this.
  21. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

my only pet peeves in trading have to do with the bullshit people post. even stuff like "terrible communication" can just be solved by calling off the trade--no harm no foul.

22. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

FTFY

SpdKilz likes this.
  23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I have too many pet peeves to list. I am a bitter old man.

ridglens, JxExM, gklover1 and 12 others like this.
  24. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

trading "Pet Peeves"?

Whoa buddy, this site is beer for beer only.

Or is Pet Peeves the new barrel aged beer from Half Acre?

25. My pet peeve is completing a trade, because then I actually have to box the crap up and pay to ship it out. I hate that.

Hopsiam14, gklover1, nflmvp and 6 others like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

My biggest pet peeve in trading has gotten worse lately. It is when my shipper accidentally switches a box I am sending with another box full of radioactive rabid lemurs. This has happened three times this year, I'm pretty tired of it.

27. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

It's not about being upset, it's about two things: (1) simple politeness in responding to someone who's reached out to you & (2) communication. (2) is key to any trade, & if Person A doesn't have time to respond with an "I'm set" or "Thanks, but all good here" then frankly I don't trust that person to communicate in any future trade.

Too many good traders out there to try to strike up a match with anyone who can't be bothered to type two or four words (& probably texts 369 times that many every day).

28. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of being a bitter old man, Dude, at least its an ethos.

29. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

They could spend 15 seconds of their time to tell you that they have a deal done or they're simply not interested. That way you can move on.

30. One more I forgot since I haven't been trading much lately: responding to an ISO with exactly the beer(s) someone was looking for, only to receive a BM beating you up for more beers.

ChiTownPackFan and MarkIntihar like this.
  31. MordorMongo

Has happened to me more times in last 3 weeks than in prior 3 years. It will be the inevitable reason I eventually climb the steeple and make the world a better place.

johnyb, sliverX, libbey and 1 other person like this.
  32. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

The worst is when you respond to an offer and get back the response that someone else offered more than he asked for followed by "what else can you add?". I always respond that is a great offer and they should take it. That seems to be followed frequently by "my other trade fell through are you still interested?". Nope.

33. Same here...3-4th time in as many weeks, with this last one happening in the last 30 minutes. I'm about to throw in the towel.

34. MordorMongo

Hahaha it is like we tried the same person as I got same BS and I told them the statute of limitations had ran out but wished them the best of luck.

AldoRaine likes this.
  35. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I don't even know how to respond to being called out... I've definitely been guilty of not getting back to everyone... But even though it only takes a minute to say no thanks, 20 responses equals 20 minutes.

In my defense, I closed the thread about 20 minutes after I posted it and I specifically listed what my priorities were. Almost all the Rares got traded to locals as in persons trades.

Also, I'm pretty sure my trading record is spotless. Not one of my 130+ trades across three years has complained as far as I know... Just sayin'

dman5400, robinsmv, smutty33 and 13 others like this.
  36. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

So you got my lemurs?

MagillaGriller, LaneMeyer and kbuzz like this.
  37. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

My pet peeve? POOR COMMUNICATION! Can't stand it.

38. The person who is obviously offer the lesser beer, but wants to keep it $4$.

39. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Back when we could comment on trade threads this used to get me every time:

OP: Looking for a bottle of _______, willing to trade ________. PM with any questions.

Noob: Oh, I have ______ and I'd love to trade it for ______. PM me.

Seriously? Why should he PM you? Why don't you just PM him after seeing that he's clearly open to trading? It feels like someone seeing an ad for a bike for sale in the newspaper, but instead of calling the number and buying the bike, they take out an ad in the next paper, asking the seller to call them.

dman5400, Durb777, matttttYCE and 4 others like this.
  40. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I never traded with you and I don' know you, but your guilty of nothing. 130+ spotless trades speaks for itself. You should have never been put in a position to defend yourself over something so insignificant. We have bad traders on here who don't get named for stealing beer from people and sometimes that takes days and pages and pages of posts before those people get named. Being called out specifically in a brand new thread for not responding to someone you never communicated with is a bit much.

I have many spotless trades too and sometimes when I make a trade post I don't respond to everyone. It is what it is, it is not a bad reflection on a good trader.

MagillaGriller and JohnGalt1 like this.