1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

People trying to trade bottles that they don't even have yet.

Like that guy from Iowa that tried to pretrade six CBS because he was on lists a month before the release...

claaark13 likes this.
  2. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

"I will have 24 2012 DL, 12 2011 DL, and all the DL Variants up for pre-trade and in my hands after DLD 2012. Let me know if you are interested!"

- SpottedZombie

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Don't forget the BA baller stout he was privy to because someone showed it to him or something and swore him to secrecy!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  4. Pet peeve: traders that agree to a trade and then don't respond to subsequent BMs. If they are not interested in a trade anymore (change their mind), they should just say so.

5. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

"check my gots" when looking for rarer beer

gjahn123 and smokinoak like this.
  6. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

"this will never get done"

"you'll need to offer a lot more"

7. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

old ipa's as extras, worhless.

sarro, JxExM, dcloeren and 4 others like this.
  8. Oh, I forgot to mention another major pet peeve of mine: threadshitters leaving "helpful" comments. If you don't like some aspect of a trade, sh*t the f$&* up.

9. Trader's with too many pet peeves

10. I think BA fixed that for you.

claaark13 likes this.
  11. MordorMongo

Guess there goes any chance of us ever trading! ;)

12. Yessir! :)

13. nlmartin

nlmartin Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 26, 2005

I think I love you in a total heterosexual way.

14. Tape (of any kind) on bubble wrap. Myself and others have posted about this ad nauseum but I guess not enough because the problem persists. There is no need for tape on bubble wrap. PERIOD. Use rubber bands.
    End rant

15. Definitely tape on bubble wrap.

16. I've got this one twice recently...
    My post~~ ISO: Baller Sout &/or Better Half FT: Evil Twin Biscotti &/or Lil' B
    The response I get is this:
    "I see that on your Gots list you have a GI King Henry & CBS. I'd do Baller Stout or Better Half for the King Henry & CBS. Let me know."

Come on man... if it's not on the ISO:FT post, don't bother

ChanChan, alwaysanswerb and barfdiggs like this.
  17. I've learned this lesson the hard way too. Show nobody your Gots and show nobody your cellar list. Otherwise, people will always ignore the ISO:FT post and ask instead for your whales.

alwaysanswerb, sliverX and cfh64 like this.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I don't know about this, scotch tape comes off very easily. Now packing tape is another story. Do the rubber bands pop the bubbles at all? Popped bubble wrap is not a good thing.

19. MordorMongo

I used to use tape, now rubber bands. I make bricks of bubble-wrapped, rubber-banded beers wrapped in shrink wrap. Dont really mind getting taped ones as if I do I just use it as filler for boxes, no worries on that for me....gave up long ago. Of course shippers are better than all that, but I digress.

20. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Me-"Looking for BCBS and varients, have X trade. Will go above $4$ within reason"

Prospective Trader: "Darkness, Boris Royal and 3 KBS for a BCBCS?"

Me-"No."

21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

No.

22. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

Recipients who don't let you know as soon as they possibly can that your box arrived with contents intact.

23. Shitty communication has to be my #1 pet peeve as far as trading goes. I can't stand when it takes people multiple days, or even a week to get back to you confirming the trade, or replying in general.

24. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

in case the overall gist of this slipped by, i want to point out that if someone doesn't get back to you but has edited in "this is closed, barraged with messages, sorry if i don't get back to you," i can't see any reason to be annoyed with them, much less call them out publicly. sure, "it only takes a minute to reply," but it also only takes a second to press refresh.

25. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

People who have been on here for less than a year that I have never heard of calling out excellent traders by name for reasons completely unworthy of a call out. Yeah that really annoys me.

7clutch, robinsmv, codysjb and 8 others like this.
  26. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

You think it's easy on the lemurs? Have a heart, man.

ewright and cavedave like this.
  27. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

28. MordorMongo

29. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I had to use a box cutter and 8 throwing stars to get to the beers you sent me. Insert emoticon of laughing face here. I tape the crap out of everything and am quite grumpy as well. FYI to future trade partners - Pack however the hell you want to get my beers to me without breaking.

JxExM, gklover1, CUE45 and 12 others like this.
  30. MordorMongo

Just don't start a bad trader thread on me when you nick a can or label and ruin something! I do over-do it because I would rather be safe than sorry and I am with you, as long as it gets to me safe job well done!

31. AndresR

AndresR Savant (250) California Jul 19, 2009

ISO: PtY <-------- Those guys.

32. evilc

This.

I pack crazy - lots of tape. Since *I* am the one on the hook for maybe $100 worth of beer - if you want to bitch about me taping the shit out of bubble wrap - put me on ignore and don't trade with me again. I pack shit to make it. You can lecture me about rubber bands, whatever - eat me. =) My goal is for the trade to succeed. Be a princess and cut the tape, thanks.

33. evilc

My kind of trader. Oh wah, I had to cut tape. I lost 20 seconds of my life.

34. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha, to all of you tape vs. rubber bands folks, it takes too long to take the rubber bands off also!;)

Do like I do and artfully use enough bubble wrap so tape and rubber bands both are unnecessary. If you can wrap without needing either of those things, you are sure that you have enough protection.

vurt and MarkIntihar like this.
  35. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I feel you, but I just can't bring myself to make 8-12 bubblewrap swans or rhinoceri...when a couple layers with a conservative amount of tape will do the job in half the time. Even belgiuminabox and etre use tape...

36. This hobby is already going to cost you, so why not just use shipper boxes? Less tape, little to zero bubble wrap, and easily reusable.

If everyone kept and reused shippers, one day the trading market would be saturated with them. No one would have to buy boxes and bubble wrap again.

FourBetter and sarro like this.
  37. MordorMongo

You would think. However, I purchased 25 styros once and 50 spirited shippers and now have exactly zero of either. I joked once I was going to write my info on an inside flap and start a thread and try and see where the hell they end up.

38. Like a where'sgeorge type of shipping tracker......I like it.

Even if they never make it back around, it makes more sense to me to spend 2-3 extra dollars and not have to spend the time wrapping bottles and ultimately feel like the bottles are safer in transit.

39. MordorMongo

New pet peeve - we need a place to publicly mock some of these IDIOTIC ISO:FTs. Seriously, we really do. I applaud some of these folks for even having the balls to just blatantly try and screw someone. If you need an example I can almost guarantee there is one on page one. If you have to swap over to page two consider it a victory.

I am surprised someone hasn't just gone rogue and posted ISO : your best FT : some polished turd I picked up at the grocery store on the way home from work......fucking might as well.

In case you all can't tell I am a touch pissy today, hahahaha ;).

gklover1, Jwren5, vurt and 10 others like this.
  40. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha, sounds like you should be the one to do it.

MordorMongo likes this.