1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

I've apparently stepped on enough toes here, so I won't comment on the above any further. But just for the record here, FBS hung around at the largest, most popular shop in Raleigh/Durham -- Sam's Quik Shop -- until at least March. I first noticed it was actually gone in May.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Member

3. JulianB

JulianB Member

4. youradhere

youradhere Member

Looks like the arbitrary beer valuation system that grew within the site has finally met its match in "no reply trade forum" policy. I like it. I like watching the adjustment from the addiction of capitalist-beer to simply enjoying beer, rather than worship it for its artificial value. The vocal minority with the most to lose no doubt decries the forum fallout as the end times and heresy, yet they too will disappear along with the value of a beer outside of what you paid for it. The world you created on a website dedicated to beer has changed, and no one cares that it did except for you.
  5. Pahn

Pahn Member

it would be nice if things were that simple so you could be as right as you feel. however, some people care that people throw up "ISO: X, FT: Y, [include some false information to trick partner into accepting]" and are more likely to get it done. you may not care, but this doesn't mean that the people in question are "just upset that their beer value is going down."

i reiterate that i like no reply, though i can see its drawbacks (as craft beer gets more popular, more predatory traders will enter the community... whether you agree that "someone got ripped off" or not, people going into trading with a predatory mentality is a bad thing for everyone, whether you believe in objective trade value or not [i don't]).
    MarkIntihar and Knifestyles like this.
  6. LambicKing

LambicKing Member

I truly wonder if many of these examples are a result of ignorance or straight up predation. By no means do I know bottle counts and other "trade value criteria" for many beers, but come on...
  7. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

My favorite is when someone sends you and offer, and you accept and you never hear from them again...
    FTowne likes this.
  8. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

*cough, cough* chussain *cough, cough*
  9. evilc

evilc Member

You haven't seen his cellar....

Have you seen it?
    ASUBeer and domtronzero like this.
  10. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Member

Actually bought a four pack in June in Wisconsin myself.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Guess I need to move to either NC or Wisconsin then as wasn't the case around these parts at all.
  12. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

Or just know that you should be able to trade awesome Indiana locals for FBS well into the new year!
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Member

Wow!!! You should have gone for it man!!! You should have thrown some Cantillon as an extra!! You missed out ;)
  14. pittsburghkid66

pittsburghkid66 Member

I swear to all the people that don't know this guy, he is a prince. I just met up with him for an ip last week and the guy is gold. Don't let his alter ego fool you. Like Marshall Mathers became slim shady when he was rapping, same thing happens to Mongo when it involves beer trading.
    Siggy125 likes this.
  15. Shmeal

Shmeal Member

Trying to justify $4$ by stating shipping costs
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Wait, what? Can you clarify that? Curious.
  17. Shmeal

Shmeal Member

"my bottle of X wasn't actually 15 bucks because I paid 6 dollars extra for shipping. It's value is now 21 bucks"
    Photekut likes this.
  18. jp7161

jp7161 Member

Do people really do this?
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Yeah that is BS unless it is something euro only that HAD to be shipped to obtain.
  20. JulianB

JulianB Member

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 90% of the problems in this thread stem from people who are trading beer like sports cards rather than to enjoy beer.
  21. standardcherry

standardcherry Member

I agree with this. I don't mind trading rare stuff for "lesser" beers as long as they are good. You do have to consider how hard some beers are to get though, sometimes offers get out of hand. When I posted an ISOFT I had an offer of a combo of Surly 4pks for my vanilla DL o_O..
  22. evilc

evilc Member

23. Shmeal

Shmeal Member

Haha I remember that thread!

Oh yea people do this. I've lost count with how many times I've had to tell people that no one counts shipping.
  24. evilc

evilc Member

It's a new thread!

Wait, so I can't count time, gas, shipping, and packing materials when I quote my end of $4$????
  25. Shmeal

Shmeal Member

Oh, I judging by the text in the link I thought it was an old thread that got shat on hard

Next time I go to China for work I should grab a bottle of that PBR reserve they have over there. $4$ would be insane. $40 US for the bottle, plus transit from 12 time zones.

Wale hunting time!
  26. Photekut

Photekut Member

ASUBeer and cavedave like this.
  27. robinsmv

robinsmv Member

You might be onto something, I bet a hipster would give his right nut and his fixie for that, just to be ironic ofcourse
    Zach136 likes this.
  28. cavedave

cavedave Member

Just did same
  29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Member

I love BAs who refer you to their 'gots' and follow it up with "I haven't updated it in (insert time frame here)." My other favorite BAs are the ones that refer you to their 'gots' for trading purposes, then after you choose a few beers from said list, the reply is 'oh but that's not for trade.'

That's where I move on. Don't waste my time because I'm not interested in wasting yours.
  30. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Did he drop off and change his handle to HaveUSeenMyCellar?
  31. yamar68

yamar68 Member

All these links really aren't much use for this conversation.

Beer Trading Help threads last about as long as a queef in the wind around these parts.
  32. Patrick

Patrick Member

You aren't hanging out with the right women.
    yamar68 likes this.
  33. nc41

nc41 Member

FBS out the ass, a lot more than last year, still around too. Actually i'm burned out.
  34. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Member

People who keep their Ann bottles
    DaveHack likes this.
  35. Franch

Franch Member

36. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

37. Patrick

Patrick Member

I don't get it. Him willing to go over $4$ for CBS is a peeve?
  38. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

His pet peeve is generous offers, apparently. He probably kicks his dog if he gets an extra.
  39. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

How much was CBS? $20?

I just figured it would probably take more than $30 worth of those beers to land one is all.
  40. Patrick

Patrick Member

Franch bulldog?
    Franch and LambicKing like this.