1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Nice. I'm definitely gonna try this and the vanilla bean idea. Thanks.
  2. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I'm tired of getting old IPAs as extras. Last 2 trades I've received and IPA as an extra that I was really excited to try only to drink it and taste nothing but malt.

If you're tempted to do this, don't. Send something else or send a message saying that you're light on locals at the moment and can only send ___ extras.
    dman127 and csano like this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

4. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Got around to doing this yesterday with some nice espresso beans. Used one of those tea strainers and about 8 beans that I broke up. Worked perfectly. Tasted as good as BCBCS. I have a vanilla bean for tonight. I'm thinking I could cut a small piece of it off. It's pretty pungent, so it should work well.
  5. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

There are some good IPAs I can get my hands on around here, but so hard to get them fresh enough I rarely trade them, would never send an IPA unless I was sure it was reasonably fresh.

The golden rule of trading should be send something you would be happy getting.
    davemike2112 likes this.
  6. Lack of communication. How hard is it to just say "everything got here safely. Thanks bro". I give my phone # early in trade negotiations so there literally should be no reason you can't just take 10 seconds to send a text or a BM and say its in your possession safely. Shit, you can even tell me you hated the extras or I did a shitty job packing and you never wanna trade with me again if its the case. But tell me you have the box.

And another is agreeing to a trade, having me go out and buy agreed upon beer including fresh IPA's and then bailing on the trade. At least tell me when I say "I'm going to buy you your the last of the beer today since my shop got some that was bottled yesterday". Say you're gonna bail.
  7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

8. Do you think he has any Supplication?
    JulianB and Johnnyramirez like this.
  9. He does but he won't let it go $4$. Too hard to get
  10. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Is that the one aged in Pinot noir barrels?
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  11. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

12. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

He has "fresh" Pliny, too!

"Just throwing it out there"

At the very least he is mildly entertaining and has already reached near-legend status! I am a fan!
    Johnnyramirez and Gosox8787 like this.
  13. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Slow shipping
  14. Not only does he have "fresh" Pliny, he's apparently got 18 of them!
  15. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Thanks to him, I now know that you can both "ignore" and "follow" someone on here.
  16. All jokes aside, his connection must be pretty legit if he has 18. Or he's chasing trucks of Pliny and wasting his time.
  17. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

But it better be only NJ Pliny. I ain't takin' no Pliny from other states.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Please let me know within a day or so that the box has arrived safely. I made some trades last nov and I bet 1/4 didn't do this, I shouldn't have to track my own box.
  19. MordorMongo

Man you must be REALLY bored this evening, reaching far back in the archives to relate your feels. I actually admire your tenacity, continue on sir!
    cavedave, salzar and Gosox8787 like this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Just look at the time stamp, trying to bore myself to sleep, have to get up early too.
  21. My own pet peeve is myself when I told someone I could get berliner only to run to the store and find all of said berliner gone. Lesson learned was never confirm a trade is a go until beer is in the box. Guy was still happy with the extra stuff I tossed in to make up for it.
  22. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

23. MordorMongo

That will never not make me chuckle.
    Overlord likes this.
  24. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

i get tired of people BM'ing me looking for trade info on where i'm getting my bottles, what they go for, allotments, prices, etc. if you were really interested in the beer, you'd do the legwork and get the info yourself - the internet is great for that. i've even had a local get really defensive and rant at me about how i'm now a bad person because i didn't tell them where i filled a growler for a trade, this after they refused my trade offer for an ISO they posted because they "don't like to trade limited release local bottles to locals who missed out on the sale."
    JulianB likes this.
  25. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Really?

I get being annoyed at your second point, but is it so hard to respond with manners to a potential trading partner with: "Bottles were $8 each, limit of two per person at the brewery."

Release details aren't always incredibly easy to come by. If you're so interested in really trading a beer, you can have the decency to have an honest discussion.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  26. box_social

i guess i didn't mention that these people aren't BMing me with trade offers. they don't have the bottles in my ISO, they just want the info. i have absolutely no problem letting potential traders know about the bottles i'm offering, but it seems kinda lame to hit me up for details, then make a new ISO for the FT bottles i listed. it's certainly not a big deal, just a little irritating.
    JulianB likes this.

27. What the hell? I used multiple bottles of my BA Mexican Cake allotment specifically to hook up locals who missed out on the sale. That's some of the most ass-backwards thinking I've seen on here. And calling you a "bad person" for not sharing beer details?! LOL-tastic.
    box_social likes this.
  28. box_social

haha yeah, one of the more wtf moments i've had on this board. live and learn, i guess.
  29. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

In a recent trade I probably sent double the extras and I didn't even get a "received", never mind a "thanks". I didn't even bother asking. Not worth my time.
  30. Traders who say they have 'access' to certain area breweries and then when asked what bottles are available...they send a link to their local craft beer shop that, get this, sells on-line.

Also, people who post an ISO and the FT is simply "let's work it out"