1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading Sense: Red Flags

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by maximum12, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

hopefully the guy he listed as a reference is actually an alias of his own.

2. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Who is an alias of someone already banned before, who was also an alias for the only retailer in the country that can get bottles of Younger. Which means that it's worth the risk of trading with him!

3. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Take an RR growler and fill it with Knee Deep Simtra, who would know?

4. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Given how few of us have had an opportunity to try the Younger, you're absolutely right. Given how limited it is, I'm not even sure the majority of us who have tried it could pick it out in a blind tasting test. I know I wouldn't be able to.

5. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aficionado (175) Virginia Aug 11, 2007

This isn't so much a red flag, as it is an etiquette question. I had a trade set up for a bottle of bitter valentine. That trade fell through (mutually, before anything was finalized or shipped, due to an issue the trade partner was having).

In the meantime, I got another inquiry about it, so I replied. I didn't hear anything for 5 days from the new respondent, and the original trade got reignited, so I went ahead and made that trade. Should I have contacted the other party who had expressed interest? I sent a BM on Wednesday afternoon to say bottle was available, and what to do next. As of Yesterday I hadn't heard anything, so I packed up the Bitter Valentine for the new (original) trade.

I got a message last night asking about it again, but I said I hadn't heard anything in 5 days, so had assumed interest was lost. Was that poor form on my part? I usually answer asap, but I also work at a computer most of the time. For some reason my phone won't let me answer or type on these forums, so if I'm out of work, I respond when I get to a computer again, but never with a multiple day delay

6. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Not poor form. If there's a five day lag in communication, I'd go ahead & make a different trade. I'd bet that if the other party was that slow in responding, they won't care much anyways, it obviously wasn't a high priority.

Pahn and csano like this.
  7. haha, don't know how i missed this, but i haven't read ba much lately. i won twice in the deadpool already (spottedcrackbabie and mikesgroove), so i'm going to see how my other bets play out before i keep putting more bottles in the pot.

my personal red flags:

1) 2011 or 2012 join date that immediately has a strong opinion on everything, particularly trade value
    2) same as above, but goes after all the wales right away
    3) is caught entering an lif for beatification, the rules of which stipulate that you must not have beatification, while putting up ft: beatification
    4) resorts to goandpickitupformebro as an argument
    5) resorts to you'renotanadvocatebro as an argument
    6) is the perpetrator of straight-up bad trader shenanigans, has to be publicly shamed into doing the right thing, then reinvents himself as a great trader / old guard while reminding people about evil wisconsonian (?) hoarding

AndresR, ShogoKawada and MarkIntihar like this.
  8. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

ISO Entrance into the deadpool..... preferably as a jockey, and not a horse.

9. when a bunch of people started asking us about it, we considered it, but we are ultimately sticking to the original 5. opening it to non-locals is bad because:

1) it requires shipping, making it riskier, and possibly the most morbid bif ever
    2) some of the rules are "we know it when we see it," thus requiring everyone's agreement and honor-system participation, so we only included people we really know well
    3) it would be really ironic if a stranger entered, lost, and refused to pony up, thus making him a bad trader in a bad trader deadpool. i think i'd have to shoot myself

bpgpitt10 and MordorMongo like this.
  10. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

So four people know you really well? That's risky...

11. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. I agree but these jerks are making me look bad.

13. baconsausage

baconsausage Savant (270) Vermont Jun 28, 2010

anyone with an avatar that contains: dogs, cats, breweriana, sports, anime, hot chicks, tv and movie personalities, pink elephants, unicorns, cookies, bob dylan and weird gray shelves.

i will always trade with people who have meat in their avatar. and dragons. dragons are cool.

14. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

This is my favorite one. Mostly because I like stupid people thinking their getting away with something clever

15. As Levi mentioned above:

...just sayin that this is one of my personal red flags

16. you're going to love this guy then.

my cellar is no longer too deep after trading for Beat
    I have a 1 beat I could trade
    FT: RR Beat x1
    FT: Beat B5

so you know it's the same guy, he posts the last offer in the fb beer trading group:

[​IMG]

all of the above are may 18 and earlier.

on may 21, the fb beer trading group sees an lif for beatification:
    [​IMG]

coppcw08 enters and is called out. he denies having beatification:

[​IMG]

i should say that i had long ago placed a bet on this guy in my deadpool. personally, i think i win... because if you can't trust a guy in an lif, can you trust him in a real trade? the other guys are discussing it.

17. pschul4

To answer your question: NO.

To respond to your post: That is great! What a clown, I hope he gets what he deserves (it sounds like he already has)

18. honestly, i doubt anything of consequence will happen. as i pointed out in the john chris nomad thread, there are no consequences to trading in bad faith on ba. you can trade through reddit (which this guy has done, and he may be in cahoots with yoniwolf, a known bad trader), facebook, ratebeer, thebeerspot, ba....

my single post isn't going to stop him from trading elsewhere. hell, it probably won't even stop him from trading here.

19. I love how Teddy called him out. Good ol' Teddy.

Arbitrator likes this.
  20. pschul4

That's a good point :( However I do think it helps protect out BA community even if the culprit can commit crimes in over venues

21. ya, westcoastbeerlvr is sharper than i gave him credit for...

Arbitrator likes this.
  22. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I love it, what a doucheapotamus! Also, damn man you have some serious spare time to always be so on top of these things....well done!

ales4baldo likes this.
  23. doesn't take as long as you might think. took probably 10 minutes to put that post together. and obviously, i'm INVESTED in making the case on this guy - there's a duck duck gooze in the pot that i want!

24. Wait, coppcw08 is proving himself to be a less than great trader? There is a shocker. I called him out on Reddit the same week he appeared. Not sure it helps, but a friend of mine had a less than enjoyable trading experience with him.

25. is this the guy who received an oak-aged yeti in place of a ba yeti? he needs to post a proper bad trader notice so i can win this damn pool. :mad:

i lol'ed when i saw that coppcw08 had an '09 black tuesday for trade. if he mixed up his yetis, i'm guessing he mixed up his bt's and has an '11 vintage.

26. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Wait a minute, I thought he could not possibly be a questionable BA... :eek:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/iso-beatification-b5-x2-ft-list.12545/#post-157368

Damn being from BG.

I should get in on this deadpool. He would have been one of my choices.

27. while i came up with the idea and have limited the original one, i don't own the idea... interested parties can start their own. :)

this has basically been a way for me to get free beer off the many prescient gut feelings i've had on ba over the years. but maybe we should open it up to some midwest people... daddy needs a ba dl and more king henry.

28. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I'll be your Huckleberry.

Edit - I'd probably trade the Roze it would take me to find a KH just to see this list.

29. No this is a guy that set up a trade on Reddit for a BCBCS but got a BooGoop instead. It's my friends fault for agreeing that he could send a BooGoop, but coppcw08's excuse was that his wife drank the BCBCS; I saw him offering it for trade on here a couple days later coppcw08 told him BooGoop was a limited release that wasn't going to hit distribution in CA. My friend's fault for not doing his research. Not Bad Trader List worthy, but definitely shady trader worthy.

brooklynbrews and tewaris like this.
  30. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

He has made my list for sure.

brooklynbrews and beerific like this.
  31. Yeah, he is on my personal list as well.

32. funny, he did the same thing with beatification:

"I do not have the GI Rare,Vanilla, or Beat anymore. I drank them" - may 10
    "I have a 1 beat I could trade" - may 15

all sorts of bad faith trading bullshit.

33. was just joking... and i can't share the full list of others' guesses, but i have posted mine publicly a few times now.

34. Yep, it seems like every time he posts he is contradicting one of his previous posts.

35. Anyone who posts 'Let me know if this gets done' in reply to someone's trade. That shit irritates me to no end. I automatically assume the person is only trying to guesstimate the best ROI they can expect for the beers in their cellar. You want to know if this 'gets done', post it up yourself. One trade getting 'done' doesn't mean it happens again.

36. alcstradamus

alcstradamus Savant (405) Iowa Aug 10, 2008

I used to have a pretty good spidey-sense back in the day...spotted a good 3-4 bad traders months before they got called out. Too bad you can never call them out ahead of time because all the captain save-a-ho's come out of the woodwork with their 'faith' in people

ficklenicholas and Photekut like this.
  37. agreed... i think i've started building some credibility by doing it a few times publicly, but it helps to have thick skin.

38. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I did a trade with Clinton/coppcw08 back in March. Not sure about the latest issues, but our trade went smoothly back then. I didn't check his references either.:) Never have after 50+ trades this year actually. I generally don't sweat it if it's less than a $50 deal.

39. When someone replies in a FT:ISO that they too can and want to do the same. Throw in what appears to be broken English, and you've got a highly potential bad trader.

40. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I love Teddy.

Indeed... westcoastbeerlvr is Teddy.

TurdFurgison and ShogoKawada like this.