1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trading Sense: Red Flags

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by maximum12, Jun 5, 2012.

1. I don't trade with people that call me bro or even have it in a post for a trade.

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

U mad bro?

3. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

THIS SHOULD GET DONE

4. Now I will never be able to trade with you.;)

5. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I have to ask....

Was ObeerWanKinobee already taken?

Callmecoon and Dactrius like this.
  6. Not sure never checked. Obemaltkinobee is cooler. I stand by my choice.

crushedvol, ggfunk and richardflyr like this.
  7. brilliant.

8. coppcw08

coppcw08 Initiate (0) New York Feb 9, 2012

I'm not the one who screwed this guy over. Levi, is just a douchebag and likes to start shit over a MISUNDERSTANDING. He can suck a bag-o-dicks. But I did vote to not worry about it...I don't care who knows. It's karma...anything under $50 just chalk it up. I've been screwed over several times it happens. I'm not going to chase someone down for beer.

9. We almost had a trade, but then you went with someone else, i forgive you bro, haha.

10. Oh yeah, this bad trader just did me over.

Responds instantly within a minute to the whole conversation. I agree to his trade send him my info and he ignores conversation and posts repeadetly after in other threads. This is why we should ID children and ban these kids from the forum.

11. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

Whoah. Going on my personal list. Glad I found you on here after seeing your dishonesty in that Beatification LIF.

12. My short time here on BA started exactly this way. I shipped to tsauce2 first, tried to do the best I could, and he destroyed me with his box. Bottle of KBS was one of the many extras! Still am so thankful I was fortunate enough to have that guy as my first trade.

cosmicevan likes this.
  13. sfrisby

sfrisby Zealot (75) Georgia Jul 9, 2009

I'd like some feedback please. I am relatively new to trading. Maybe a half a dozen over the last 2 months. I found what I would call a to good to be true trade. Offering 4 very nice beers for one very nice beer of mine. He says he is trying to shrink his cellar, but common sense is waiving a red flag in my face. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

14. ET678

ET678 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 10, 2013

Being a new here myself, this is advice I wish I had a few weeks ago. If someone is active in the forums theyre probably going to be active with your trade.

15. ET678

HAHAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing!

16. ET678

Im gonna ride the newb gravy train as long as possible! ;) In all seriousness though, that's the best way to get get cool extras to BIF on your next trade.

17. Is he a reputable trader? Maybe BM one of the older members and they'll give you advice. It's possible that its legit, but without knowing the trade, there's no way to give an opinion, and I wouldn't want to tell you to make the trade public.

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Does the BA in question have any references?

FTowne likes this.
  19. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

1. Deals too good to be true.
    2. Someone who thinks their beer is "too good to trade..."
    3. Slow responders
    4. Too pushy, and not interested in getting you what you want. Trying to just push the beers they have.

20. ET678

Im thinking if the person has done a few trades and is genuinely trying to hook you up, then the trade wouldve been made more reasonable with maybe 2 of those 4 bottles as surprise extras.

21. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i would suggest reaching out to any previous trade references. your potential trade partner might have a very long trade history. if you feel that it is too good to be true, we can always cut out a beer or two on my end... ;)

22. sfrisby

sfrisby Zealot (75) Georgia Jul 9, 2009

You gotta love the irony..........

cosmicevan likes this.
  23. cosmicevan

what i've learned is that the only way to really get trades done with people that are not previous trade partners is to throw something out there that is too good to be true. that seems to be the only way to really shake beer out of people these days is give them something that they literally cannot pass up. hopefully when the smoke settles from these trades, i'll have a few names to add to the regular trade partner list. we'll see how it all plays out.

24. Maybe with others, but if I ever have anything to trade, I'd trade it for shit I can't get, but won't hold it for ransom. Seriously. I don't trade as much as others and I only have 1 real trading partner, but he'll tell you I just trade for something I fancy, no regard to $4$. But I completely see your point. It's a game of maximizing value with alot of people

25. People who have a creepy avatar picture is a big red flag that I have noticed recently...

dachshunddude86 and dvelcich like this.
  26. ET678

HAHAHAHA Good shit!

27. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Seems legit - he DOES have that photo......

28. If you are trading with cosmicevan the only advice I have is to reinforce the footers on your porch or you will be sorry.

My red flag is anyone who has sunglasses and/or a cigar in their profile picture

JulianB and cosmicevan like this.
  29. ET678

Mine too!

30. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Trading tips #1:

Look out for shitpuppets

powz87, jbuddle, franklinn and 2 others like this.
  31. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Mostly a lack of communication. I hate it when someone BMs me and doesn't respond for 2-3 days. I don't have time for that shit.

I would say a join date of TODAY or YESTERDAY is probably a big red flag as well, lol.

Clonies720 and ET678 like this.
  32. cdmillard

cdmillard Savant (410) Maryland Feb 17, 2013

Interesting. I kn
    ow it used to be a requirement for FedEx or UPS (this is going back 15 years or so), which is why I always request a phone number.

33. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

When they ask me for a number, I just give them mine. If I'm shipping and something goes wrong, I want to be the one they call anyway.

34. cdmillard

cdmillard Savant (410) Maryland Feb 17, 2013

Good idea. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

35. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

I don't know yet, never had a red flag pop up, usually everyone I BM or BM's me something works out.

Lately few haven't worked out.

*shrug*

36. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Yah I get very hesitant in setting up a trade with someone that doesn't give me their cell number. I have your address, why so hesitant to give me your cell number? Perhaps you don't want me calling you when you flake on the trade? That's the way I see it at least.

cosmicevan, futura123 and Photekut like this.
  37. cosmicevan

if someone balks at the number request, be sure to call the number you get.

domtronzero likes this.