1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Transferring from 1/2 commercial to multiple corny kegs

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by tigers38017, Dec 23, 2012.

1. tigers38017

tigers38017 Initiate (15) Dec 23, 2012

How long will the untapped corny kegs be good for after transfer?

2. As long as you observe proper sanitation and oxidation procedures, it should last as long as it would in the original keg.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

i agree with Mike but will add that you can be pretty sure that your racking technique will result in some added O2 no matter what. we can also assume that sanitation is not an issue. if it is then all bets are off.

so perhaps you should work with the premise that your transferred beer will remain fresh for less time than the brewery package, and potentially alot less time. if you are careful though it might not be such a concern.

as for tapping the corny it will not matter what so ever.
    be sure to keep this beerr cold! keg beer is not the same as homebrew or bottle beer and it must be kept cold (with very few excepions). keep it cold, the colder the better.
    Cheers.

4. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I think to do this the right way you are going to build some stuff.
    A Sanke tap through a hose to a Corney quick disconnect attached to the beer out post on the Corny should do the trick.

I never did this myself, but I seem to remember others suggesting that the transfer be done under low PSI or the beer will foam up. On that note make sure the Sanke and Corny are both cold.

Purge the Corney Kegs with copious CO2 before transfer. Good luck.