1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Transplanting Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by skylark012, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Any hop growers out there have experience transplanting hops?

I decided to give hop growing a shot this year despite not having the most optimal conditions. I have three Cascade plants doing well on a sunny hill, and three Nugget plants doing not so well because the second location I tried is clearly not getting enough sun.

My question is, would it be a better idea for my to transplant the three underperformers to a better location immediately, or wait until the growing season is done? I was thinking it might be best to move right away since I understand the first year is mostly about establishment of the plant and I'd rather they start developing their root system in a better location. However I'm wondering if this will be traumatic for the plant and I should wait until the fall?

Thanks in advance!
  2. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

If it were me, I'd wait until the fall to give the rhizomes that you have the change to develop as much as possible this season. My Cascade plants were started from rhizomes that someone brought me one fall. I immediately put them in and they did great the next summer.
  3. You can dig up the crown just after the spring thaw and transplant. Established crowns need a wheelbarrow to move them.
  4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I agree that this is the best approach. The OP won't need a wheelbarrow after 1 season though.
  5. I should have said "well established".
  6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I do know what you mean... I'll be moving some Cascades with the bucket loader next spring.
  7. The bucket loader would have worked better for a friend than the 5 CU-Ft wheelbarrow, but those just went down the street a couple of houses. I have moved 1 or 2 year old hops, no problems.
  8. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

I'd do it in the fall or spring. Right now they're storing energy.
  9. My father s neighbor has a few hop vines growing that have sprouted up new chutes every year. He dug up a new chute and gave it to me. I planted it three weeks ago and this thing has took off growing.

Not to hijack ops thread but what is the method for treating new hop vines before the winter freeze ?
  10. Once it get to be late fall, you cut the bines off.
  11. spring or fall it is! I'll see when I'm feeling motivated. Thanks for the feedback