1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Transporting Growlers Advice

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mnbuffalo, May 22, 2013.

1. Two weeks ago I had a top of a Pseudo Sue growler break off like Mt. Rushmore in my car on the way home from Casanova and assume it was a temperature issue.

I need to figure out how to properly manage a collection of growlers because I'm heading to MA in a few months to visit the in-laws. I plan to take a break from family time and ride up to VT and hit the big three breweries in an effort to bring back a nice load of beer back to MN. In that haul I want to have multiple HF growlers in my trunk.

What will work to get the growlers back to MA, and then in my trunk for two days of driving without the growlers exploding or having the beer go bad? I have experience working in a sporting goods store cutting and wrapping dry ice in newspaper for campers heading to the Boundary Waters, would a similar approach in a cooler be the ticket?
  2. Make that Mt. St. Helens. Brutal.
    SadMachine likes this.
  3. Tape the screw on lids down with electrical tape.
    Keep as cool as possible and pray !!!
  4. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (675) Washington Dec 30, 2005

Two days in the trunk? And how much longer until consumption? Three days is a long time between filling and drinking even under the best of circumstances. I'd drink the growlers at the in-laws and look for 22 oz bottles to take back to MN.
  5. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 Savant (280) Minnesota May 19, 2011

Growler threads/caps are less than ideal, taping them is imperative. Limiting vibration will help as well. Keeping them cold will go a long way in preserving the beer.

Your cooler and dry ice idea is perfect. Tape the screw caps and add some cushioning directly beneath each growler. May the force be with you.
  6. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

My goodness I did not realize this was such a challenge. I've hauled growlers all over the midwest and never had any issues.

Rule #1-Always tighten the caps yourself after you get them from the establishment. It's usually 50-50 whether they are secured as tight as possible.

Rule #2-If it is warm bring a cooler and keep them packed on ice.

That's it.
    JrGtr likes this.
  7. Rule #3 drink as soon as possible upon arriving at destination, unless you are cellaring something.

Rule #4 bring me some lawsons stuff!
  8. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I've transported and stored growlers forbages without having a single problem. I suppose it's out of the question that you simply got a defective bottle, and that the problem is actually inherent in growlers why the top broke off yours? I always just check the topbwhen I get one, and leave it at that. Keep it in the dark (I have a soft-shell Growler cooler for them) and not worry too much. Don't let them get too warm, but otherwise I don't do anything special. Legnth of time they stay good depends on how they're filled. If it's capped on foam, it's fine for a while - I've kept them food over a month with no discernable taste problems.
  9. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I use this, it was a gift from the wife for xmas....
    [​IMG]
  10. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (285) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

If you are bringing back HF they are swing-tops and are much better then the normal screw-tops. Just keep them cool and they will be fine. I've had a HF growler last me weeks....
  11. I came here to say exactly this. The swing tops shouldn't be a problem at all, but still keep them cool of course!
    Bizoneill likes this.
  12. Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to go for it. Ideally I'll buy 4, one for MA and 3 for home in MN. I'd like to trade one and have friends over for the last 2 with some lobster rolls.
  13. In the coolers, if I am driving a short distance, I use ice packs and old sheets to stuff between the two growlers.
  14. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

not sure why my pic didn't work, attempt #2
    [​IMG]
  15. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Just be aware that you can't use your own growlers in MA. You have to use brewery-specific growlers so don't worry about bringing any for here. Yea, it's fucking stupid
  16. Bizoneill

Oh WOW... That's good to know for the future....
  17. Bizoneill

I've seen these and wanted one for awhile i should just grab one... Could really use it for tonight actually LOL!