1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Travel help: how much does a 750ml weigh?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by daniloknezic, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all. Trying to guess how many bombers i can put in my checked bag but I don't have a scale. Anyone know how much a bottle weighs? Thanks!

2. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

A pint's a pound the world around.

750ml = 25ish ounces

The glass itself will add a few ounces too, but it should be easy to guesstimate close enough.

3. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

geez google 1 gallon water. 8.34 pounds, beer is 95% water. figure 2 lbs for the beer, and 1 for the bottle.
    aprox 3 lbs per bottle.

SlightlyStoopidG and FosterJM like this.
  4. azorie

liquid oz are not weight, geez.

at least not exactly.

Ericksne likes this.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

You were close.
    Etre Gourmet says 2.9 lbs :D:)

Im just being a ball buster today.

Cheers!

6. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Depends on the specific bottle Cantillon 750s are ~3.4 lbs. 22oz bombers can be as low as 2.2 lbs.

7. azorie

no worries I went and hand weighted a empty 750 seems about a pound give or take.
    those bottles vary a bit. but I bet most European bottles are quite thick, I weighted a Dupont bottle.

FosterJM likes this.
  8. Thanks everyone this should give me enough of an idea to avoid baggage fees.

9. azorie

you could always ship some to yourself, I do everytime we are over in Europe.

10. Danielbt

Yes, I do realize that, thanks. 16 fluid ounces of water weighs 1.04 pounds. Close freaking enough. I certainly didn't make up the "A pint's a pound the world around." quote.

11. azorie

lol, I know I was being silly.;) that saying is old but semi right, if you do not include the bottles.

12. Depends on the beer bc they will all have different densities. But for shipping in my liquor store a 750ml of wine is 4-5lbs lower for wine, higher for champagne bc of the extra glass. 1.5 liters of wine are 7-8 lbs. Since beers use a bit thicker glass in that format (usually) a guess of 4.5 lbs should be conservative enough.

13. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I took pictures so you can see for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jzeilinger likes this.
  14. bigsippin

bigsippin Zealot (90) California Feb 9, 2012

what else you weighing on that thing?

Boozecamel, drperry11 and FalconA like this.
  15. Danielbt

"Hops".

shand, beerFool28607 and bigsippin like this.
  16. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

My super accurate bathroom scale says they are 3.3 lbs. When I'd pack cases for transatlantic flights (mostly Cantillon), I'd account for 3.5 lbs/750 and depends on the brewery for the others...much like folks stated previous to me.

17. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

When I was flying with 750's a 12-bottle shipper weighed like 48 lbs. So if you're shipping 750's like the title says, 12. If you're doing bombers (which aren't 750's) then maybe 13, but you have more packaging so probably still 12.

18. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

19. kbrinson

kbrinson Aficionado (110) Indiana Mar 5, 2010

Go buy one, weigh it, then open it, then drink it, then you'll know. Why are you asking us the question? There's a lot of incentive in finding out yourself. Have a good trip.

Ericksne likes this.
  20. 3.4 ilbs just weighed 8 different 750ml's

21. Fist pump to brewbetter, I have a similar scale but the 22 oz bomber doesn't equal 750 ml. I weighed (6) 750ml cork and cage bottles from the cellar and the unofficial average was 2.85 lbs., but, the bottle weights were very different, LambicKing had a different figure as would most people, it all depends on the brewer's glassware so my best advice is, if you're trying to avoid baggage fees is to spend the extra $20+ and buy a portable luggage scale. If you end up over the limit, that's just more good stuff you end up drinking in your hotel room before you fly home. The other option is to ship some of that goodness home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.