Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Traveling question (not about PDX, entirely...)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by claspada, Jan 28, 2013.

1. claspada

claspada Advocate (695) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007 Verified

I will be traveling to Portland in May and while I have that area pretty well described and planned out I was wondering if I could get some information on the "surrounding" areas. I was wondering if it was worth it to take a day or so in either Bend or Hood River (not just beer-wise as well but maybe some outdoor/scenic stuff as well). Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (680) Germany Jan 19, 2010 Verified

Yes, definitely worth it! Should be some thread around here w more info, some people should be able to chime in about bend.
    Multnomah falls and the gorge, while touristy, is definitely worth the trip.
    A half day in Willamette valley and wine tasting is also wonderful.
  3. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (125) Arizona Sep 19, 2009

Bend is a bit of a trek from PDX, but Hood River is worth the trip. As digita7693 said, you can check out Multnomah Falls along the way (which is right on the freeway heading up the gorge). Hood River itself is a nice little town to browse around, and has some good breweries to check out, including Full Sail and Double Mountain. If you fancy a detour on the return leg, cross the river into Washington and check out Walking Man in downtown Stevenson, which is right on Highway 14 heading back to the I-205 that takes you back to PDX.
    flexabull likes this.
  4. claspada

Yeah that was really my debate was if there is anything I MUST see in Bend because of the 3-3.5 hr trip from Portland or if I would be just as happy just hitting up a place like Hood River with it only being 1.5-2 hrs away, with only 3-4 full days to work with...
  5. NWer

NWer Advocate (720) Washington Mar 10, 2009 Verified

If I could choose only one I would choose Everybodys Brewing in White Salmon over Walking Man but that's just me. Everything else I agree with.
    Lordkrystic and beertunes like this.
  6. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (125) Arizona Sep 19, 2009

If you had more then 3-4 days, Bend would be the best choice as the beer scene there is off the charts. But with the short time that you have, I think the trip up the gorge to Hood River would be easier. This just gives you a good reason to make another trip to the PNW in the future :)
    flexabull likes this.
  7. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (630) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Bend is excellent to visit, but it's quite the haul, and you'd be going primarily to visit a place like Boneyard or Deschutes and you can visit the latter in PDX and the former has beer pretty much everywhere.

I highly recommend Hood River. Only an hour outside Portland. Set up a tour at Logsdon, head down to Parkdale to visit Solera, then up to Hood River for delicious food at either Pfriem, Everybody's Brewing, or pizza at Double Mountain. Walkable place and you can also hit up Big Horse and Full Sail if you are so inclined.
    Lordkrystic, flexabull and NWer like this.
  8. claspada

Side question: How easy is it to get around Portland via mass transit (bus or rail)? I know I will have to rent a car to get to Hood River but would I need one to hit the main spots around PDX?
  9. seanchai

seanchai Advocate (650) Virginia May 23, 2009 Verified

Really easy, most public transit-friendly city in the country outside NYC.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

Yeah, a visit to Everybody's is a worthy target. Also in HR, Pfriem Family brewers is now open and should be a must hit. Bend is worth a couple days by itself.
    RedMedicine, flexabull and Sarlacc83 like this.
  11. Logsdon! plus hood river is gorgeous!
  12. w_klon

w_klon Savant (280) Oregon Aug 1, 2012 Verified

and good fishing!
  13. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (350) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I suggest taking 26 East over Mt Hood. Stop along the way for a hike, then 35 North up to Solera in Parkdale continue to Logsdon an then Hood River for Pfriem, Double Mtn and Everybody's in White Salmon. Back to Portland via I84 West. A bit ambitious but doable.
    guajolote likes this.
  14. RedMedicine

And let us know if you need suggestions for hikes on Mt Hood and/or in the Gorge off of I-84.
  15. claspada

Any suggestions and details regarding hikes/stops would be much appreciated.
  16. flexabull

flexabull Champion (810) California Mar 9, 2006 Verified

There is some great hiking at Mt St Helens, and it's only about 50 miles or so from Portland.
  17. RedMedicine

If you take 26 East, you have a ton of options. An easy and popular hike is Mirror Lake (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Mirror_Lake_Hike). There are additional trails off this hike with some good elevation gain (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Tom_Dick_and_Harry_Mountain_Hike). Spectacular views of Hood on a clear day, however might be crowded on the weekend.

If you have a bit of extra time the drive up to Timberline Lodge is worth it. Plenty of trails leading right out from the lodge, with views of Jefferson, etc. Silcox Hut is a good landmark for an it and back (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Timberline_Lodge_Hikes).

In the Gorge (on the way to Hood River if you take 84), I really enjoy Triple Falls. Moderate hike with a lot of options (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Triple_Falls_Hike). If you leave from Oneonta trailhead, you can drop down to Middle Oneonta Falls just before the split for Triple Falls. You can also leave from Horsetail Falls Trailhead.

I think these are better options than Multnomah Falls. It doesn't hurt to park and take a peak, but the crowds can be overwhelming. If you are going to do Triple Falls, keep in mind you can sneak into a parking lot closer to Multnomah Falls than the one from i84 since you will be on the historic highway.

Have fun :)
    beertunes and flexabull like this.
  18. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

I haven't eaten at Pfriem but that is excellent advice on eating at Everybody's and Double Mountain. The pizza at Double Mountain is definitely on the "hella good" side of things. Great food at Everybody's also.

I'd start in White Salmon.....that bridge looks even narrower after a few brews.
    Sarlacc83 likes this.
  19. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (630) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Pfriem had some very authentic Belgian food. My wife got the mussels and I ordered the waterflooie (Belgian chicken stew), and we felt like we were back in Europe. Beer can still use a little work, but it's still good. Think it has a chance to be great with some tweaking.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  20. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Sounds awesome. We just booked a little two nighter in Hood River in October. Definitely will be checking it out.