1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

traveling to Belgium what to try

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by greggor, Jun 25, 2013.

1. greggor

greggor Disciple (60) Utah Nov 25, 2008

I am going to europe and will spend a weekend in Belgium. Thinking I'll stay in. Brussels, will be driving from Frankfort. I love sour beer and plan to go to Cantillon but looking fo other suggestions for breweries pubs or beer in general to seek out while there. Anybody who can offer sugestions?
  2. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I'd suggest you look through here and read through some of the similar threads that have been posted. It's what I have been doing
  3. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Sober up between your frequent walks between Cantillon and Moeder Lambic. Be a tourist and drop into Delirium too, and then go back to floating between the other two.
    Jwale73 likes this.
  4. All the beers. Drink them all. Srrrsly.
    Netdigger2 likes this.
  5. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Have you looked at the threads in the Benelux forum? Lots of good suggestions there.
  6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen beers are obvious. Try to find a bottle of 3F Golden Blend. It will be way cheaper there than you'll ever see it here, and it's the best thing ever. Try to find some Fantome if you haven't had it. I also highly recommend all of the De Struise beers, especially Black Albert and Pannepot (Depending on whether or not you can find them where you live. I can never find any here in Miami.)
  7. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

It's hard to go wrong, any city will have multiple pubs with world-class options. My advice would be to try your hardest to find a local to go to a pub with, or just sit down next to some people and start talking. I found almost everyone in Belgium speaks English (particularly true the closer to Holland you get, since in the south/east they might just speak French), and if you get talking to some people you can find out about some of the good options around you, the 'non-tourist' options that might have some good aged stuff, bottles for trade, etc. Also, if you have some extra room in your luggage, bring some good stouts, porters, IPAs, and DIPAs for trading purposes...or even just as a friendly gift to someone you meet, it could go a long way. Before I made my trip, I talked to some fellow Beeradvocate members and arranged some trades, ended up hanging out with a couple of them...all were super friendly and it made for a richer experience as I felt less like a tourist.
    greggor likes this.