1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Traveling to Brussels from Chicago

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Askchucky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. I will be traveling to Brussels for a couple of days on April 14th and 15th. I am coming from Chicago and trying to get info so I can make the best of my limited time in Brussels.

I know Chicago is a great beer city, but I am sure that there are great breweries that we haven't even heard of over here.

I am looking for info, advice on bottleshops, bars to hit, places to eat...and since i'm traveling solo, places to stay. I will be coming in from Germany and taking the train to Centraal station.

Also I am open to trades, if there are any locals that want to trade for American brews and maybe can help me out with info or even hanging out, I am very open to that and think it would be great.

Thanks for any help!
  2. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

I will help you out sir -:) !
  3. If you could bring some Bourbon County stouts i could provide you with some Westy 12!!

Thijs

4. Let me see what i can do!
  5. It seems you might be meeting the locals, but in any case I would recommend finding time to visit the Cantillon brewery. It's great - you can just wander around on your own and see all the original equipment and fermentation barrels. As well as tasting some of the beer of course....
  6. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

Same as Thijs, if you could bring some GI Bourbon bottles, that would be awesome. I can trade Kabert, or if you can bring a rare + vanilla or bramble = A Special Kay - Can also do Cantillon, Westvleteren or other Struise beers.

Cheers,
    Mark
  7. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I'm not local but I've been to Belgium a lot of times. And I'm there right now as it happens.

My recommendation is Drie Fonteinen, you can have beer as far back as 1997 in the restaurant, and a few Vintage bottles in the Lambic Droom next door on Fri-Sat. Plus the Golden Gueuze which was just released at the brewery. It's excellent.
  8. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Drie Fonteinen Lambik Odroom will be closed as of April 1st (maybe sooner). So sad. But you can still go to the nearby restaurant.
  9. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

If you want to visit Cantillon, your only option is April 14 (Saturday) since they are closed on Sunday. But if you don't make it, be sure to visit Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas where you can drink Cantillon on tap.
  10. gendoe

gendoe Disciple (70) Illinois Jun 14, 2008

I just left there 8 days ago. I stayed at Hotel Aris which is a 3 min walk from Central Station, a block from the Grand Place, 50 yards from de Bier Temple. The hotel is a very basic European style hotel, but is clean and priced right (103 euros for two nights). Cantillon is a must. I took the beer tour (see TripAdvisor) which was led by one of the board members from Cantillon. We also visited Delirium Café and Moeder Lambic. It was a little pricy (35 euros w/ one beer at Delirium, two at Cantillon, and two at Moeder), but I was alone and the information received made the rest of my trip much more enjoyable. You should also visit La Porte Noire, very good beer selection and interesting people.
  11. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

+1 on the La Porte Noire suggestion. One of my favorite bars in the city center! Knowledgeable staff, and always some friendly and interesting people in there!
  12. Great info..thanks everyone! Time to start planning.