1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Traveling to Coralville, IA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by drewsdad, May 15, 2014.

1. drewsdad

drewsdad Initiate (5) May 15, 2014

I've never been before, so I was hoping to bring home some new beers. Preferably bottles and cans, since I will be driving. Any breweries/beers I should be looking for?

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Backpocket Brewing is in Coralville. They make some pretty solid beers. Their Raygun IPA is great, as is their Wooden Nickel (peated Scotch Ale). They sell bottles and do growler fills. http://www.backpocketbrewing.com/

3. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (215) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

Head to John's in Iowa City. It's a short hike and by far the best bottleshop in the area. In addition to that, a decent amount of restaurants in the area have PseudoSue on tap and Sanctuary has a pretty decent line-up of beers at the moment.

4. OnIowa

OnIowa Aficionado (195) Iowa May 31, 2011

5. drewsdad

That list is amazing! Thanks for the head's up...

6. OnIowa

Just leave some for me!

7. Berg77

Berg77 Savant (285) Iowa Nov 30, 2013

Wow, Red's taplist is amazing indeed! I'm going to be in the area next Saturday, hoping some of that '10 BCBS will still be there by then!

8. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Don't count on it, that place is always packed. Lol

Berg77 likes this.
  9. OnIowa

I heard this has been a record week of sales for them for Oberon and Two Hearted. They're the only 2 less exotic beers (and less expensive) that have been on all week, so all the non-beer nerd people are drinking them up.

10. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I left in the middle of work (although truth be told I work at a beer store, which I find to be a more lenient employer than most :-D) to cross the river to Council Bluffs to get Two Hearted cans as soon as they posted them to facebook. And I am most definitely a beer nerd person. I'm as bad of a ticker as anyone but you have to respect the classics! :)

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  11. OnIowa

Certainly not inferring that Two Hearted and Oberon aren't great. I love both. Mostly that they were the "safest" two choices on tap, with a bunch of really big beers (both alcohol and cost wise), the average joe who wants a beer will probably head that way. I heard at one point that they go through like 4-5 kegs of Oberon per week in the summer when the weather is nice and the patio is open.

12. drewsdad

Duuuuuude, Red's was fantastic! I had a group of 11, and we all loved it. Sadly, we got the last of the 2010 BCS. Thank you very much for the tip. I owe you one!