1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Traveling to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OnWisconsin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Aug 14, 2012

Been searching the places section and decided it would be best to ask the experts in the forum. I am heading out to the L.A area in a week to get away and see some friends. Looking to "donate" some money to a few of the local bottle shops near Los Angeles/Culver City and Santa Monica area. Was hoping the California BAs could point me to a few good places. Also looking for a few bars/restaurants and maybe the best brewery for a tour. We will also be heading to the Laguna Beach area for a day or two if there is anything near there.

Thanks for any and all the help you can send my way. Really looking forward to having a few beers I can't have here in Wisconsin!

2. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

This is going to get moved to the Pacific forum.

Here's another thread about LA. There are numerous others if you search the forum.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/places-to-hit-in-and-around-los-angeles.70493/

My thoughts:

Bars:
    Boneyard Bistro
    Surly Goat
    Blue Palms
    Steingarten LA
    Daily Pint
    Library Alehouse
    Congregation Alehouse (Pasadena)
    Stuffed Sandwich

Stores:
    Wally's
    Vendome Beverly Hills
    Valley Beverage
    Whole Foods (preferably Lincoln or El Segundo)
    Ramirez

I'm leaving stuff out as tends to happen in a city of millions. Enjoy your trip.

PeterJ and OnWisconsin like this.
  3. Father's Office - great beer list. Get the burger.

Sam_Frank, OnWisconsin and HomeBrewed like this.
  4. I can help you on your way to Laguna. Take the 60 East out of LA and stop at Liquorette right before you hit the 57 in Walnut(probably my favorite bottle shop in SoCal but worth the detour). Then take the 57 South and get off right before the 91 freeway and say hi to the nice people at The Bruery. Then head West on Orangethorpe right on Lemon and visit Bootleggers Brewery in Fullerton. Vendome Liquor off the 57 in Fullerton is a decent bottle shop also that's 5 minutes from the Bruery. Hi-Time Wine is in Newport which isn't too far from Laguna has a great bottle selection also. After you've picked up some goodies and are done partying in Laguna you're going to go back to the 91 and head East for 45 minutes to share what you picked up with me :)

OnWisconsin likes this.
  5. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

You have to go to Father's Office in Culver City...and if you want a real treat for food, besides the burger at FO...go to Luk Shon next door...the best food you will ever have. My brother works at both places.

robL and OnWisconsin like this.
  6. OnWisconsin

Thanks all for the quick responses. Now the hard part, sorting which ones to visit first and trying to go to every one! It's alway great to see you agreeing on the same shops and pubs! jmgrub, great list and thanks so much for the input. I will be putting it to great use!! Khofer, I just may have to go the extra 45 min to share a beer or two! Thanks for your help as well.

khofer3839 likes this.
  7. Vendome has a good selection of the CA beers and locals. Liquorette is a great place to find something a little more rare or vintage beer. Probably the best selection of Sierra Nevada beers I've seen at a bottle shop. Picked up a 2008 6 pack of Bigfoot there recently.

8. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

while you're in Laguna, I'd suggest La Sirena grill http://www.lasirenagrill.com/SouthLaguna/ Great tap list and its literally across the street from just an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean if you have some time to walk or hike down.

usofar likes this.
  9. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

We agree because we dont have all that much

where are you staying?

Daily Pint and Father's Office then Surly Goat then Library alehouse are the closest bars to culver city.
    Wally's is the best bottleshop to that area.

10. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (690) California Dec 15, 2012

For me, the one store I was most disappointed after reading reviews was Walnut Liquorette. I've been to most high-end bottles shops in Los Angeles and Orange County and never felt this way about any other store. I went late last year, around November or December. Upon entering, there was one entire shelving unit closest to the coolers completely bare, not one bottle on it. Mind you, this is a very large shelving unit that is probably a third of their shop. Now, in the coolers I did find the common SoCal distributed craft beers, but that was about it. I assume the better beers that I heard were available at one time were probably on those shelves. My conversation with the owner was odd too.

It seems they had a stellar selection at one time based on reviews, but my visit was pretty much as waste. It's been about 4 months since my visit, so things may have changed. Just FYI.

Hi-Time and the stores jmgrub listed are solid.

11. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

Stop in Long Beach and hit up Beachwood. Some of the best beers on the coast and amazing bbq.

Cheers......

mrcraft likes this.
  12. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

Good point! Then you could take PCH down to Laguna (amazing drive) and maybe hit Newport Beach Brew Co/Hi Times and on your way back hit Bruery/Bootleggers/Noble. So many different choices!

13. I don't share this opinion. I've been in there around the time you posted but also much more recently and there were definitely some goodies to be had. '08-'12 Stone Vertical Epic, Russian River Stuff, Alesmith, ton of Sierra Nevada. I've only ever bought beer out of their coolers, never seen much on the shelf. But I always left without being disappointed.

14. Beachwood - Seal or Long - is a must
    Noble's doing some good stuff right now with their new brewer as well as their new tasting room manager
    Bootlegger's just opened their new taproom
    Bruery is the Bruery

15. OnWisconsin

Thanks all for the great input. This has been a huge help and can now really enjoy what you all get to have year round! So many beers to try and probably not enough time but I will be getting to at least 4 of these places and couple of the bottle shops. Looking forward to having plenty of Russian River and others I can't get back here. If there are any great beers that have been available recently please free to let me know so I can't also take advantage. Thanks again for all the help, you have no idea how much this has helped.

Cheers all!

16. OnWisconsin

We will be staying in Culver City

17. If you're looking at bottle shops and don't see Russian River, always ask. It tends not to make it onto shelves and lurks in the back rooms sometimes.

I'm seconding Walnut Liquorette as being a great little shop. Guy working there was super nice and pulled a few bottles out of the back for me. Lone Hill liquor in Glendora also had a great selection. The two are fairly close to each other also, maybe a 20 minute drive.

khofer3839 likes this.
  18. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

I feel as though you're doing OP a disservice in not recommending Mr K's during a trip to the Bruery. It's literally on the corner of Orangethorpe and Dunn, where you're turning in to get to the Bruery parking lot. To my knowledge they don't carry RR, but have a pretty awesome selection of CA beers at pretty competitive prices.

Otherwise, +1 to Bruery/Bootleggers/Noble. If its a weekday, you could do worse than swinging by Hollingshead Deli for a sandwich, a beer, and some more to go bottles.

blguillen likes this.
  19. You should check out The City Tavern in Culver City. Great amount of local beer and the food is amazing!

robL likes this.
  20. I'll endorse Mr. K's, their service has always been top notch and they used to cash my paycheck with only .5% interest. Selection isn't great as they are still in the process of expanding their craft offerings. Vendome Liquor just up Placentia has a much larger selection though.

21. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

Srsly likes this.
  22. Sunset is good stuff! Make sure to check the liquor store in the complex next to it if ya head there. Theyhave some really good stuff sometimes.