Traveling to Orange County (Costa Mesa)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Ecrassipes, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Ecrassipes

Ecrassipes Disciple (65) Hawaii May 29, 2010

Looked up the usual spots but was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations. I am making the trip to the Bruery for sure. I would also like to get my hands on some bottles of alpine, RR, port brewing, etc. Is there any likely hood of trying some PtY? I will most likely rent a car so traveling to near by areas in orange county is not a problem. Any inside information is greatly appreciated.

John

2. vacax

vacax Advocate (640) California Jun 3, 2008

The usual spot... Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, right?

3. Yeps, and also Hollingshead in Orange so the OP can buy bottles, drink beer, and eat liverwurst all in one sitting.

Ecrassipes likes this.
  4. vacax

There is a ridiculous amount of breweries in the area now... beyond The Bruery, Bootlegger's, Tustin Brewing, Old Orange Brewing, Anaheim Brewing, Noble Aleworks.. breweries are popping up like banana stands.

5. AlexM

AlexM Advocate (525) California Jun 9, 2011

Also the new Valiant Brewing will be opening real soon, right down the street from Old Orange.

6. BeerShman

BeerShman Savant (285) California Dec 14, 2010

What? Where? Hmmm

7. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

[​IMG]

Whatsarezaf and Enish266 like this.
  8. Ecrassipes

Yes, I looked up the Hi Time, the Bevmo, a pub with goat in the name, the karl strauss brewery. Does the Hi time have Alpine offerings? Guess that is a no on the PtY...damn

9. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

total wine in brea or tustin

jakjak711 likes this.
  10. vacax

If you want to go to a bar/restaurant/brewpub you go to Beachwood. Period.

DukeofDouche and Indifferent like this.
  11. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (570) California Jan 8, 2004

Hey John,

Lotsa inside info available...what date(s) will you be here?

12. IceAce

Fixed that for ya! ;)

DukeofDouche likes this.
  13. Ecrassipes

March 6th-10th. Mahalo.

14. Ecrassipes

March 6th-10th. Mahalo.

15. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (845) California Nov 16, 2009

Younger should be gone. You might want to keep an eye on Selmas pizza in Rancho Santa Margarita. Ive heard they had a keg, but not sure if they tapped it. All of the above are great recommendations for things. Try to make it to El Cerrito Liquor in Corona, Try Walnut Liquorette or Lone Hill Liquor as well.

Cheers!

16. IceAce

Tuesday: Rock'N Fish in Laguna Beach ~ Smog City Brewing event @ 3pm...should be an impressive beer list

Thursday: Slaters 50/50 Anaheim ~ IPA Day @ 11am

17. beat me to it!

Also, if you happen to hit up Bruery Provisions at the Orange Circle, its worth taking a walk down the street to check out the tap list at Haven Gastropub. I don't recommend eating there, but they usually have at least a couple nice beers on tap. In one night I killed both the RR consecration and H24 pugachev's cobra kegs.

18. AlexM

AlexM Advocate (525) California Jun 9, 2011

19. Ecrassipes

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like this trip will be lots of fun. Aloha.

20. + 1 on El Cerrito liquor in Corona. Talk to Jazz, friend el Cerrito on fb. He posts what he gets in constantly and usually has pty and bp, among other great RR beers.

21. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (390) California Jul 1, 2009

Alpine beers are hard to find right now. You can try hi-times, whole foods and liquor warehouse in hb. San Diego stores are not getting much love from ABC right now. And at the brewery if they do have any ipa's it is very limited. I just opened my last Pure Hoppiness the other day. But I still have 5 bottles of Expo Hoppiness in my fridge. Yes, hit up Beachwood BBQ (Seal Beach). All the others including Hollingheads Deli (Costa Mesa) is good but pricier than Beachwood. And the beer selection is world class at Beachwood. The OC is starting to really grow with all the brewery's opening up here. But it still doesn't compare to Sun Diego.