1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Traveling to Portland for 1st time...

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by tobylsu, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tobylsu

tobylsu Initiate (20) Dec 7, 2012

I will be in Portland for a few days in February. I am going purely for beer. Should I stay downtown or are there any recommended areas of town to anchor down in? Where do I absolutely have to go?
  2. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Downtown or on the east side close to the river would be my recommendation

As for where to go, there are a million threads on here with places beer geeks should visit. We really need one to be stickied.
    digita7693 and m4ttj0nes like this.
  3. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Lol, you get around. I'm heading up around Jan 19 to look at some place to live... This will come in handy. You never cease to amaze me.
  5. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Wait seriously? You're moving to Portland???
    I live here now:)
  6. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I've stayed at the Downtown Marriott. From there it's an easy walk to Beermongers/APEX in one direction and to Upright with HotD in between. Not to mention a stop at Deschutes & Bailey's on the way back.
    Only downside is risk of being arrested for Walking Under the Influence. I've heard transit system is good but haven't checked it out. Don't mind walking.
  7. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

We have a creepy thing going on. A bit scary. But that's cool.
    Lol

Back on topic... I have stayed at the doubletree downtown, really nice, and they take pets.
  8. tobylsu

tobylsu Initiate (20) Dec 7, 2012

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it!
  9. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I suggested as much in the feedback forum, but was told "things change too rapidly for it to be useful."

Perhaps we could make an off-site wiki page with hotel recs and stuff, then when these threads pop up we could point people there.
  10. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

And, yet, we recommend the same 10 places every time there's on of these threads. Sigh...
    LoPo87 and digita7693 like this.
  11. I like the Jupiter and Hotel Monaco. Hotel Monaco is great for traveling with dogs.
  12. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

A little effort goes a long way. I took 10 minutes to search for threads about Portland, found them, compiled a fantastic list for myself, and got everything I wanted while there last weekend, all without re-hashing this same question again.

p.s. - stayed at the Monaco (someone else was paying). Nice hotel, but the $38/night parking was a hard pill to swallow!