1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Traveling to TX in April

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by scribe594, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I will be in Texas 04/20 through 04/24. This will primarily be a baseball trip but definitely want to hit some cool beer bars, stores and breweries while I am out there. I will be flying into Dallas, treking it to Houston then coming back up and spending some time in Fort Worth and Arlington. I know Houston has St. Arnolds which I will be visiting, other than that what are some other notable beer destinations in the cities I will be visiting? Also, are there any microbrew options at Ranger/Astro games? Appreciate your input.

2. MarkK

MarkK Aficionado (105) Texas Aug 22, 2005

I love the Rangers and going to games there, but the Ballpark is a beer wasteland. They have a few Rahr beers, but none of their more interesting ones. They have 2 taps of Sierra Nevada (why they decided a beer from CA would be their microbrew, I don't know) and they aren't easy to find. Both are in the concourse in the 3rd base corner one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.

There isn't much activity right around the ballpark, but one of the few options is a Humperdinks within walking distance. It is a so-so brewpub, but sometimes they have some decent beers.

I don't know Minute Maid nearly as well, but I drop by a couple times a year. They have a few more options (St. Arnolds at several beer stands), but it doesn't stack up particularly well for beer either. There is a Flying Saucer within an easy walk of the park.

Further out a distance from the ballparks, there are some nice options in both cities. Meddlesome Moth (Dallas) and Petrol Station (Houston) are tops for their respecitve cities in my book, but there are lots of other good choices.

It is out of your way, but if you go through Austin on your trip, you will find several really nice spots for beer.

3. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (455) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Weedwacker is on draft for $8 a big beer near the 3rd base entrance in Arlington. Going to assume they will have a bigger selection this year.

Arlington itself is surrounded by tons of great spots. Fort Worth has Rahr and the OG Flying Saucer (which will be at its new location). Dallas has tons of great places, Moth (which is owned by the Saucer) and The Common Table have excellent selections, and some great brewery tours. As you get closer to your days here PM me if you need any additional suggestions.

Go Rangers!

4. uhcougar

uhcougar Aficionado (165) Texas Mar 27, 2010

Visit Karbach while you are in Houston and take some home with you as well. Great stuff! Hit the downtown Specs and D&Q as well.

5. Thanks for all the input so far, I'll definitely consider it all and will likely ask for last minute suggestions as the trip nears.

6. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Savant (305) Texas Feb 25, 2011

Hay Merchant and Petrol Station in Houston.

7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

There is a stand in Minute Maid that sells Saint Arnold. If I remember right it is right behind home plate. I will always hit up the Flying Saucer before or after an Astros game. It is downtown within walking distance to Minute Maid.

If you have time, I second Karback, Hay Merchant, and Petrol Station.