1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Travelling to Atlanta, GA from Indianapolis, IN - any brewery brew pub visit suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 3, 2013.

1. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (545) New York Sep 21, 2012

I will be driving from Indy to Atlanta for a quick two day visit. Travel route would be via Louisville, Nashville and Chattanooga. I am planning to visit Sweetwater brewing in Atlanta. Any other worthwhile mentions? I am open to extending the trip over weekend.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jriggins6

jriggins6 Savant (340) Colorado May 18, 2011

Terrapin is about a hr away from Athens. Brickstore is a must in Decatur.
    While in Nooga pick up anything from Yazoo
  3. Heavenisbeer

Heavenisbeer Savant (255) Georgia Jan 9, 2010

^this

Although I would drop into The Porter beer bar in Little 5 Points in Atlanta before Brickstore, although both are fantastic.
  4. Chattanooga local breweries: Moccasin Bend, Terminal Brewhouse, Chattanooga Brewing, McHale's Tavern, Big River(Gordon Biersch)

Stores in TN have to separate their beer based on the alcohol percentage, FYI. You'll find any "high gravity" in a liquor/wine store.
  5. AmitC

Thank you very much. I am now thinking about Terrapin, Brickstone and Moccasin Bend. Planning to buy some beer that is not distributed here in Indy - will check out TN stores for sure.
  6. You need to go to Wrecking Bar in Atlanta - they make the best and most interesting beer in town and it's a really cool place. Porter Beer Bar is just a short walk from there, too. As jriggins6 said, Brick Store Pub is a must. I would visit any of these places before going to Sweetwater.
  7. AmitC

I hope these bars and pubs have bottled beer as well. Since i will be driving, i do not want to drink much at bars. Mostly, i will be tasting and shopping.
  8. If you are looking for beer to go, check out Hop City, Ale Yeah and Greens. I agree with the other Atlanta recommendations. If you only have a couple of days, don't waste your time with Sweetwater. 5 seasons Brewing is another good brewpub.
  9. 2nd this!

There's also Porter's
  10. It's not a brewery or a brewpub but a store that sells growlers and has a nice selection: Beverage World in Ft. Oglethorpe GA. Just over the TN/GA border from Chattanooga tucked into the corner of a strip mall but well worth the trip.
  11. Sazz9

Sazz9 Savant (340) Texas Jul 6, 2012

Yazoo Brewery, Jackalope Brewery, and Blackstone Brewery in Nashville. If you can get ahold of ThunderAnn Pale Ale... its awesome
  12. If you can find a growler shop that has Eschaton you should get a fill. Just make sure if you bring your own growler it has the surgeon general warning. Not sure if it's necessary in other states but Georgia is weird with its laws
  13. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (320) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

Brick store pub is a must.
  14. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Wrecking Bar Brewpub - Great beers on tap and great food.
  15. AmitC

Thanks All. On my way in 10 minutes