1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tried a Party Pig?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by TheEarl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TheEarl

TheEarl Aficionado (165) Washington Apr 10, 2012

My friend needs to replace his in-fridge draft system, the kind he had is no longer sold, he doesn't have room for a kegerator, and he's considering a Party Pig.

http://www.partypig.com/

Does anyone have experience with Party Pigs or similar systems? Will breweries typically fill them?

Thanks,
  2. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

What system was he using that needs replaced?

The party pig system utilizes a single use activation pouch to dispense the product. You need a new pouch at $4.50 a pop every time the bottle is filled.

I would have him look into a more traditional co2 system.
  3. TheEarl

He was using something similar to a tap-a-draft that breweries would fill for him off the growler tap. Are you aware of other options?
  4. The Party Pig is alright. The quality comes out pretty damn nice but there are some draw backs for sure. First it takes up a decent amount of space in your fridge and second it is scary as all hell to take apart one you're done with it. Last time I had the pouch inside explode and shoot a metal piece across the room which scared me enough to not take it apart just quite yet.
  5. TheEarl

Have you found breweries will typically fill the pig? And when they will, do they just multiply their growler pricing?
  6. I haven't tried it but I highly doubt it. The way the pouch works I feel like it would over carbonate it anyways.