1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trillium Brewery opening in August at Fort Point Channel

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jomobono, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

2. Finally - I feel like we've been waiting on them for years... Anybody know why it took so long for the licensing? It seems like a dozen MA breweries have opened out of nowhere in the time it has taken them to get going.
  3. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

They actually tweeted back to me and said they will not be able to use the retail space for tasting. That sucks.
  4. You can only imagine how hard its been for us to wait! But being in Boston, and more specifically, in Fort Point Channel, we had navigate the sea of paperwork and processes just to get where we are today. We signed our lease in Jan 2011, and applied immediately for for a building permit (that we knew would get denied-no building is zoned outright to be a manufacturer of alcohol). You then take that denial and apply for a zoning variance. Leading up to the zoning variance hearing in July 2011, we had to hold several community hearings (at which we received a tremendous amount of very humbling support). Then we had to wait 1.5months to get the zoning variance approval letter. Then go through 2 separate, sequential facade & signage hearings and review processes. Once we got through that, then we could then reapply for a building permit. That process is not a quick one, unfortunately...we just received it. So, in all ~ 14 months for the building permit that would probably take ~2-4 weeks in an adjacent town.

We used our long lead time wisely, and we've got some incredibly dedicated architects, designers, tradespeople, collaborators, family and volunteers all stretching well beyond normal expectations to make this thing happen as soon as possible.

I hope we don't run in to any (more) huge obstacles as we continue to peel back the layers on this 1918 building in Fort Point, but even if we do, we'll put our heads down bull through those too.

Cheers, JC
    mpyoung215 likes this.
  5. Yeah, it sure does suck. we of course had hoped to be able to do this, and had it on some good advice that it would be feasible (with single use, souvenir tasting glasses, etc.) but certain decision makers deemed 2oz samples to be 'consumption' which would require an ADA compatible bathroom adjoined to the room. Due to the construction of the building (3ft thick concrete slab) and the square footage it would canibalize, and the huge amount of capital we'd have to dedicate to that, putting in the bathroom just wasn't in the cards. So, even though we'd do nothing different than what liquor stores all around the city do nearly every day, the decision was made in our case and the more we tried to engage in dialog, the harder they dug in. When the entire project seemed to be at jeopardy on this point, we had to finally concede. That was a tough day.
  6. I just heard about you guys on the BA Twitter feed, regarding hiring a brewer...looks cool! How did people higher up in this thread hear about Trillium? Looking forward to having a new brewery in the Boston area!

Cheers!
  7. very excited for this!
  8. There was some discussion about them way back on the old forum.
  9. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

The brewer also posted in the homebrewing section of BA.
    NiceFly likes this.
  10. I asked the rep for Atlantic when she came in today, and she already heard about it too. But then again she said that these local small shops call up these distributors and pitch them with the brewery's sales talk, so they're on the ground floor.

I guess I'm just trying to dig closer and closer to the source of all this awesomeness. We're pretty lucky to be in on something that's blowing up and is so cool. We could all be on a pog forum right now...
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It's been in the works for well-over a year now, discussed here on BA, elsewhere on the Internet and mentioned in local papers.
  12. Any clue what the expected inaugural brews will be or will there be a formal press release of some kind later?
  13. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

$25 saisons encased in titanium
    Jnorton00, jomobono and SunDevilBeer like this.
  14. Looking at current trends, Trillium should have created a barrel aged collaboration beer and donated $50k to a gorilla charity by their fourth month.
    Jnorton00 and wdarcy77 like this.
  15. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I'm sure JC (who already replied to this thread) will make an announcement once they're up and running.

Jason and I tried a bunch of their test beers earlier this summer, and a couple last year. So far I'm really liking what I'm tasting and looking forward to production versions.
  16. GoGriz

GoGriz Savant (255) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2008

What styles have you tried already?
  17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

JC, anyway you can give us a glimpse into the lineup of beer Trillium will offer? When do you plan to have beer ready for sale?
  18. Bottle size and prices?
  19. Just shot JC an email. Not sure how often he checks the forums nowadays.
  20. thanks guys...we'll put out all this info soon enough, but hopefully the interview we did with FPAC (local art community) gives you at least a general idea of what we're shooting for.
    http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/wordpress_blog/2012/05/a-new-brew-in-fort-point/

if you poke around on the homebrewing blog, we intend to make year round beers that got their start from those days. We've been getting feedback from folks, as they sample from pilot batches at various free events in fort point since we started pilot brewing there (ie. recently a 4.7% oatmeal pale ale and 6.2% farmhouse-style beer)
  21. Had a chance to try a few beers from Trillium and gotta say I was pretty happy with them.
    Really excited for them to come into the market and think most people will be eager to try each release because it seems like JC has some really interesting ideas.
  22. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Felt like dusting this off. When are these beers coming out?
  23. huuvola

huuvola Savant (270) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2005

Don't know the answer to your question, but their Facebook page indicates that they are making progress toward an opening date. Looks like Facebook/Twitter are better than their website if you're looking for updates on where they're at in terms of opening.
    wdarcy77 likes this.
  24. According to their Facebook page "sorry for the vague answer but as soon as possible....still waiting on a couple things re:inspections, but we are quite close now. Stay tuned"