1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Trinity Bottles in Denver

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Domingo, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

As my local spot I love em but I am just not sure if they can survive at their current price point. I have had just about every beer they have bottled once and I am glad I have but I just can't bring myself to buy more bottles. Now, their guest taps are some of the best in the Springs so that will always keep me coming back.

SalukiAlum and bigaltemple like this.
  3. Domingo

I've actually been lucky enough to have never had to pay for them...thanks to my wife occasionally working down in the Springs. How much are most bottles?

4. Ratman197

Ratman197 Savant (395) Colorado Aug 11, 2007

$20 or more.

5. I was pleasantly surprised to see these on the shelf at a couple stores, and unpleasantly surprised to see they were $30/750ml. Good beers, but at that price or anywhere near that price I'll pass.

6. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (285) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Yeah especially $30 for an IPA. . . kind-of ridiculous.

7. i am willing to pay more for their sours (brain of the turtle, old growth, the flavor). but i heard they're easing off on the sours to focus on the saisons.

8. yeah 26 dollars for a local IIPA, no thanks,

9. Steve_0

I think think the saisons and sours are way over priced, as well, considering you can get Funkwerks and crooked stave for pretty much half the price. They really need to work on their pricing.

10. Agreed.

11. Exactly...price is way too much, even for their soured brews.

12. alexipa

alexipa Savant (455) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Yet another Colorado brewery charging outrageous prices... what's going on lately?

13. Ouch...that's pricey! I wanted try their stuff now that its made it up here, but not at those prices!

14. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (475) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

They've always been that expensive at the brewery :/

15. quirkzoo

At the brewery OH Face is $18 and the "first tier" sours (Brain of the Turtle, TPS Report...) are usually $24 as is the DIPA.

16. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (475) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

That sounds about right. I should have said they've always been expensive at the brewery, perhaps not as expensive, but still expensive.

17. Domingo

Man...glad I haven't been the one to pay for those! I was thinking $12-15 a la Crooked Stave.

18. Yeah Crooked Stave is twice as good for half the price. Not sure what the guys at Trinity are thinking.

19. Domingo

Not sure about twice as good (those Office Space themed sours really are pretty amazing), but those prices are crazy. I supposed that explains why my wife never seems to have any issue finding and buying them, though.
    How well do they tend to sell down there?

20. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

The crazy thing is this: Slap yer Mammy is $19 at Trinity, but $30 at stores in town. Emma's Pumpkin is $19 at Trinity but $17 at stores around town. The Flavor that was just released is $35 but it is pretty fantastic. I buy them when people want to trade for them but at that price point, they don't move very fast by any means.

21. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Nobody is going to buy $19 DIPA's much less $30. They must be smoking that Amendment 64.

22. Steve_0

Word.

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

ISO: Trinity Amendment 64 hIghPA...

tacosandbeer and hopfacebrew like this.
  24. 3-4 years ago there was no crooked stave for sours or funkwerks for saisons. trinity is definitely going to have to restructure.

25. quirkzoo

Hard to tell how well they sell. Their stuff usually sells out but I think it is a function of several things.

• extremely limited production (bottle counts at ~500 which tells me about 2 barrels for the usual run)
    • very slow refresh cycle (most sours are only bottled once a year)
    • only brewery in Colorado Springs that produces this stuff (as others mentioned funkwerks and crooked stave availability is relatively new)
    • how many bottles are purchased simply for trading? (probably accounts for at least half, if not more of my purchases)
    Trinity's prices (beer, food and otherwise) have always been on the high end for what they offer so I am not sure that I see that changing anytime soon.

26. Domingo

Interesting. Guess I've learned a lot about Trinity over the last couple of days. All of that said (those prices are bananas) - I have still enjoyed their beers and I hope their supposed expansion or some increased competition will bring those prices down. I don't think I'd be willing to pay more than $7-8 for an IPA with the best examples on the planet going for less than that in most cases. I've really only had 4-5 of their sour beers, a couple growler fills of Awaken stout, and "Stop Making Sense," their pretty tasty eisbock.
    Brain of the Turtle might be the most sour beer I've had in my life.

27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I actually enjoyed the hell out of their saison man. I had a couple the last time I was there with the sliders. Great food, great brew, and it was not really expensive. Even their growler fills were pretty cheap. I think it was 16$ for a growler of awaken, elk mountain in parker charges 18$ for their growlers and can't hold a candle to trinity. I only wish they were closer to Castle Rock.

28. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I don't really care that funkwerks and crooked stave are newer and trinity has been around longer. 2+ years ago cantillon, Fantôme, and drie fonteinen used to sit on the shelves at a lower price point and waaaaay better than any trinity sour/Saison. Their prices are way way to high and ill probably never buy their beer because I'd rather spend $25 or way less on Fantôme/drie/cantillon. I can also buy 3 Avery sours for the cost of 1 of theirs. Just can't justify it. Hopefully they stop raping people

hopfacebrew likes this.
  29. quirkzoo

While I agree somewhat, the recent Avery sours have been $10.99 here in the springs on shelves so really 2 of their 12 oz bottles is roughly equivalent to paying $24 for a Trinity sour. Not sure there is a huge difference here.

30. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

72 cents difference in fact (for 25.4oz) if you did it by price per oz.

31. ISO: 1 Trinity sour
    FT: 2 Avery sours and 72 cents

32. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

If I could re-do college, my dissertation would 100% be on the economics of beer consumption.

33. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Let me know if you need an assistant or any test subjects.

gklover1 likes this.
  34. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

My sister lives in MN, and she wrote quite a few reports and studies around Surly. LOL

35. Knownfactor

Wasn't brain of the turtle $30 and TPS report is $30 on the shelf here in denver right now

36. HRCam

HRCam Aficionado (125) Colorado Oct 14, 2008

I am not sure if I would pay for Fantôme over Trinity anymore. I know both the brewers are pretty good friends and have shared techniques. In fact I had a saison on tap there one time that was made with sweet potato and pear. It rivaled anything that I have had from Fantôme, plus it was not that expensive at all.

That being said their bombers are really expensive for sure. The food there on the other hand, IMO, is worth every penny. Especially the buffalo mac and cheese. Dish is ridiculous.

37. Knownfactor

Yea I'm not talking about their food or draft at their location an hour from me, I'm only referring to bomber prices. From my understanding their draft pricing is actually spot on at the taproom and selling to on premise accounts, and I've heard good things about the food.

38. TPS Report and Oh Face are both $28 at Mr. B's. Needless to say, I passed on both while I was there yesterday

39. quirkzoo

Yeah, the $24 price is at the brewery. Brain of the Turtle was definitely $24 at the brewery, I bought several for a friend.

40. scray24

scray24 Savant (285) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

The anniversary party pricing was the best i've seen - Old Growth/BotT glasses (full - 12-14oz) were running about 8$.

I'm not intimately familiar with the distribution pricing schema but would guess that Trinity is selling at very near (85-90%) the same price they sell at the pub to the liquor stores so the stores are marking up in normal (40%?) fashion which is driving the $30 bottles of a DIPA. I like Slap yer Mammy but sure as hell not $30/750ml, want to say its around $8 for about an 8-10oz pour.