1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trinity Brewing dropped their prices?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ArrogantB, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I thought they used to charge $30 but I saw bottles today priced from $17 - $20. That is much more reasonable and I bought a TPS report. $20 for a DIPA is still unacceptable, Alpine only charges $12 for Exponential Hoppiness and they are probably the only brewery that can command that high of a price for an IPA. Unless RR bottles younger of course.
  2. It's possible they are old and were discounted.
  3. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (430) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Guessing nobody's buying at that price point. I aint.
  4. They are currently undergoing an expansion, which they claim is allowing them to release more bottles, and as a result, charge less for them.

But I think that is probably partly an excuse because they realized their bottles weren't selling well enough at the $25-28 price range.
  5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Trinity drops those prices and I buy on a regular basis, otherwise many better selections.
  6. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

I saw TPS report at Hazel's today for $15; their other bottles seemed lower priced than the last time I saw them.
  7. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

I was at Trinity on Friday for Pappy Legba and all of their prices are down. I still think they would sell more if they bottled in 375ml.
  8. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I would really like to try this brewery, but as stated their prices are too high. I might try to grab a TPS report for $15 but honestly that's just to try it out. I wouldn't buy it with any regularity at $15, still too high in my opinion.
  9. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I tried their Pineapple Saison...thought it was interesting and well put together. But I will take Funkwerks Saison at ~$10, which I already think is a pricey, to that Trinity offering. With that said, I am sure if Trinity made it up to Fort Collins at $15 a bottle I would give a bottle (perhaps 2) a try.
  10. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Awesome to see these price changes for both the broader craft beer consumer and for us collector-y types. Lower prices on these bottles means more stores will actually carry it, which I assume is another reason for the change in conjunction with the expansion. Fear not, BA's, price pressure doesn't just come from forum posts.
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

I've only tried their beers at fests. Too $$ at the stores and at a 'Koop fest (rare beer '11?)I think they only brought like 4 bottles and were empty in 20 min. They didn't seem to take it seriously :mad:
  12. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I really like their stuff, but I've never had to actually spend money on it since my wife has always brought it back from CoS. Their sours are about as puckering as beer can get, so I wouldn't bother chilling them. If they're even slightly cold, they might as well just be pure citric acid/unripe green apple. When they're room temperature, they have a lot going on, though. If you're paying a lot for them, be ready with something to catch they beer when you open one. I have yet to have one that wasn't a gusher and if you aren't careful, you'll lose your first glass to the floor.
  13. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Definitely wasn't rare beer. Might have been parade of darks...
  14. Mebuzzard

That may have been it. I rarely remember things from 5 minutes ag...wait what are we talking about?
  15. Domingo

I think it was their Belgian Beer Fest from 2010...maybe? Their own reps were drinking as much as they were pouring, and they didn't bring much.
  16. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (630) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

I bought their pumpkin Saison, Emma's Coffin I believe, which was pretty good and worth the $13-15 for me when compared to other similarly priced pumpkin beers (Uinta's and Rumpkin come to mind). Wanted to go all out on pumpkin beers this year and I've been to the brewery thrice on my travels and thought they had great stuff, but I won't be buying it again because of the style/price. In fact I won't be buying any of their beer until they are all priced around what TPS is ($15) with maybe one super special beer a few dollars higher. I hope others will do the same so they get the message, it really feels like a slap in the face to me the way they priced their bottled beer right out of the gate. Yea they're pretty well known in CO for their sours and saisons, but look at the Crooked Stave's and Funkwerks' prices... Enough said.
    I remember seeing one of their bottles priced $29-32 when they first started bottling, I wanna say it's their DIPA (which is awesome), but then I'd feel like I'm losing my mind.
    I'd feel like its more of backhand to the face rather than any old slap, but I get the feeling they're not really trying to screw us and just don't have it together. All three times I was there the bartenders were pretty wasted even though the sun was far from being down and of the three times I ordered food, once they completely forget and another time they brought us two completely different items than what we ordered, after forgetting we ordered meals for about 15 minutes...
    I don't mind putting up with drunken bartenders with bad memories, actually a really cool atmosphere, but their bottled prices let me know I'd be better off leaving them in the Springs.
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Maybe if they put out a flat triple IPA for more money people would buy that shit up...
  18. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

It would be really cool if someone from Trinity could chime in on this. One thing I just noticed is that Crooked Stave (and maybe Funkwerks) operate a different model than Trinity. Trinity is a brewpub first, that happens to bottle some of the beer it makes, whereas Crooked Stave is a production brewery that happens to have a tap room. I wonder if this affects the bottle prices? Seems like as they have expanded their bottling capabilities the prices went down.
  19. Steve_0

Steve_0 Aficionado (215) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

I completely agree with 95% of what you are saying but if you think about it, you are really paying $24-$25 for the same amount of beer from Crooked Stave (375mL x 2) with the exception of the saison now that Chad has changed his bottling. I don't agree with Trinity's pricing as I was definitely one complaining about how high they are, just playing some Devil's Advocate here.
  20. MarkyMOD

I see where you're coming from and if the brewery had taken care of me, the customer, in the past I definitely would take this into consideration and do them a favor by paying their ridiculous prices a few times. By taken care of I mean just seeming to really care about the customer, mainly having a history of reasonably priced bottles and friendly customer service. Hosting events that us beer geeks love, Zwanse Day comes to mind, is a big plus and so are things like reserve societies. I'd have to imagine the brewery makes at least some money off this, but it's caring enough to put the time and effort into these things that matters to me.
    In the end from a consumer's POV $30 for a bottle is $30 and even if it's The Bruery selling Fruet most people can't afford to buy many/any, especially when there's hundreds of other delicious beers on the shelf.

P.S. An example of Crooked Stave's awesomeness: my glass had a very small chip in, I don't notice as the bartender sets it down and wouldn't care anyways.
    Bartender: I see a chip in your glass, let me bring you a new one.
    Me: Not a big deal.
    Bartender: Can't be havin that, I'll fix it for you.
    Me: Alright. Hey, if you're just gonna toss the glass, I'll take it.
    Bartender: Sure.

Glass collection +1, section of my glass collection I think is awesome and would hate to lose +1.
  21. MarkyMOD

I was thinking more of their WWB_ series which I've seen for $12-15, one the few other CS beers I've seen in Boulder was their Petite Sour for $12. Their Saison is everywhere now for $6 for a 375, not sure what it was before. Bought L' Brett and Bourbon NoB for the prices you speak of at the brewery, but those stayed in Boulder for about 2-3 days, so I'd have to imagine they're producing much less than Trinity is of their beers. Only other CS beer I know the price of was Batch #1 and the worker I traded with said the price was $22 (he paid for it out of his own pocket, then traded me, reason # too many why I love Crooked Stave). I'll gladly pay these prices when I can and for styles I love when the majority of their beer is priced at beer geek levels, not 6+ figure salary or spend all your paycheck on me levels.
  22. Steve_0

Again completely agree with you. I am a huge Crooked Stave fanboy and I will gladly pay the $11/375 mL for what Chad is doing (I am also a Reserve Society member). I was just a little confused as to why the WWB series was $12-$15 as you noted and then when bottle changes were made sours/wilds remained at $12 (with tax) for half the size. I thought with half as much beer we would be seeing something around $8-$9, which is still a better margin, than the original WWB series.

As far as Trinity goes, I thought their original prices of $25-$28/bottle were ridiculous, but I am glad to see them drop prices to become more competitive, although I still can't bring myself to try the $20 IPA. I really have no experience with their customer service as I have never been to the brewpub and can only base my assumption off of the outrageuous price tags on their first few bottle releases. I just bought a bottle of their Le Capitaine for about $18 because I figured what the hell, thats aprox. $0.71/oz ($18/25.360517), so not too bad. I think with their new pricing point they will get more people to try their beer and maybe become repeat customers. They are definitely more reasonable, but they still have a lot to prove to be charging those types of prices and expect repeat customers.
  23. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

On the subject of Trinity, I'll be there next weekend. What beers are their best?
  24. Steve_0

Haha, hopefully some of our Colorado Springs BAs can chime in. . .
  25. Mebuzzard

With IPAs especially, the high price is hard to justify. Right out of the gate, sure, one might be worth $30. But I still see Slap Your Mammy on shelves around here for $30. Those probably won't move
  26. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

If they still have Pappy Legba that one is worth a try. Honestlyost of the time I go there I get their guest taps, best guest tap selection in Colorado Springs.
    russpowell likes this.
  27. My favorite is Oh Face. Merle is also pretty good if you want a dark, high ABV saison.
  28. MarkyMOD

Yea $18 isn't bad at all for a great, experimental/expensive to produce beer in 750ml format when compared to what others sell for and from what I've heard TPS for $15 is more than worth it. Their aroggance/ignorance really rubbed me the wrong way though when there's so many other good beers out there that have been around for awhile, so I likely won't buy any Trinity unless they all come down to that $15 range.
    Paradox had awesome sounding beer and it was $11 a pop, so I bought a couple, loved em like I thought I would and bought 3 more when new ones came out at $11 a pop and when I can I'll buy Autumunus too (only one I've seen I haven't tried/ have in my fridge), even if the 3 I have don't quite live up to my expectations and even though it received so-so reviews on here. I like their model and what they are doing, so I'll stick with them, they've earned my loyalty (unless the 3 I have completely suck, but I know that won't be the case). Same goes for Elevation, tried 3 of their beers on tap, would've been $15 for some bottles, and loved em so I happily paid $15 for Oil Man.
    As for Crooked Stave I just assumed those beers were even smaller small batch beers and more expensive to make, maybe more of a profit on their $12 375s than their $12-15 750s, but not a huge jump. I have no idea in reality though, hopefully it doesn't became standard.
  29. Domingo

Pretty much all of their Office Space themed beers are good. Old Growth is tasty. Brain of the Turtle is freakishly sour, but opens up a little if it isn't chilled at all. Stop Making Sense is a damn fine eisbock. The normal 'ol Awaken Stout's nice, too.
  30. MarkyMOD

Slap Your Mammy Cask was one of the best hoppy beers I've ever had, definitely top 5, probably top 3 and regular CO2 was of course delicious . All their more "standard" beers on tap (never saw any of their sours or super exciting one-offs) were good to great.
    My final plea to Trinity: Please change your ridiculous bottle prices, so I can enjoy your delicious beer.
  31. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

From what I've seen, they have markedly reduced them (~25%). I'd like to think it was a consumer driven decision but don't care. Red Swingline was going for about $19/750ml at the bar (similar releases were in the $25ish and I picked up a Merle for around $16 at a local store) and quantity is way up - ~6-8 barrels bottled vs. 1-2 barrels bottled. Barrel aging is also reduced - I think the main line series (TPS, Merle, Swingline, ...) are barreled for <3months whereas OG/The Flavor are still being barreled for ~1 yr.
  32. Saison_Man

Saison_Man Aspirant (35) Feb 19, 2013

Howdy Folks,

Jason Yester owner of Trinity here. Just to clarify, our price structure in the past was higher as we could only produce a very small amount of beer in bottles/draft and we wanted to keep most of the sales on site. In mid 2012 we installed a new brew system, moving our batch size from 4 barrels up to 12 barrels. We are currently finishing up work on another 2000 sq feet which will allow room for 70-80 oak barrels V. the the 11 we have been working with.

Please keep in mind that we are a very small brewer with very small financing. 100% of our bottles are done by hand without a bottling line, which does add a large production cost to the beer. Our beers are also 100% bottle conditioned too, which adds a large warehousing cost. We also don't have a centrifuge, and the yield on our DIPA is very very low, driving up the cost/price. The difference in producing a Saison Regal 10+% ABV V. A straight Saison with no additional ingredients, is a much higher raw material cost. When you see our Saisons at $18, most of that cost comes from an expensive recipe (ig Emma's Pumpkin has #400 lbs of pumpkin in it). All of our bottles are wilds/sours/imperials and built for cellaring. These are not ale yeast Saisons and focused on push volume/fast production. Our bottles are also 750ml, which is 3.4 ounces more than a bomber....keep all of this in mind when comparing our prices.

Look for most of our bottles to hit shelves this year @ $10-$18, with an average cost of about $15 each. Steve_0 is correct that when you break it down to cost per ounce, our bottles are very competitively priced with similar quality beers. Again, the heart of TRiNiTY will always be the pub and on site will always be our focus. Although public demands that we do have presence with our bottled products in the market, forum posts/complaints will never dictate our pricing structure. Our pricing is based 100% on our costs and our ability to produce volume. Our drop in price is 100% related to a larger brew system and additional barrel space.. We sold bottles extremely well at higher prices, in fact we sold much more/faster than we could produce. There has been no market response or forum posts which drove our prices lower. Although I love to please good beer drinkers I do that by making some of the most risky/passionate and best beers in the world... not by kissing ass, this is business too :)

Denver Post just wrote an article here if anyone wants more specifics http://tinyurl.com/bjbutz5 .... Also, if you have any direct questions please feel free to contact me by email, [email protected] .... cheers!
  33. any plans on putting bottled on dates on your beers? I was about to buy a slap your mammy but didn't because I wasn't sure how old it was
    Domingo, joshclauss and Saison_Man like this.
  34. Saison_Man

Saison_Man Aspirant (35) Feb 19, 2013

That's not a bad idea, I should date our DIPA with a month ... the rest of our beers will be dated with bottle number and year only. Some of our brands will be bottled a single time each year due to the availability of seasonal ingredients, other brands will be bottled multiple times... The lower the bottle # the earlier in the year it was bottled.