1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Trip planner

Discussion in 'Site' started by pwoody11, Feb 5, 2013.

1. pwoody11

pwoody11 Savant (470) Delaware Nov 23, 2009

Anyone aware of a website that would allow you to enter your origin, destination, and set deviation limits while mapping out beer destinations?

For example:
    Origin: Delaware
    Destination: Idaho
    Deviation limit: 15 miles

The website would then provide all beer related stops along your route without going more than 15 miles outside of said route.

I came across beermapping.com which was OK, but it doesn't appear to have the function I'm looking for.
  2. I'm not going to lie man, everything you'd need is on this website.

Check the "places" tab and enter the state you're going to be in. Check available breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops, etc., and read other reviewers' ratings. Then select which are on your way or which are possibly worth going out of your way for. Each listing has a map and link to the business in question, it's super convenient.

Search the regional forums for topics on places to visit, or ask other people that live in those areas what their opinions are. The only other thing you need is Google maps to plot your waypoints.

I'm planning a road trip and found everything I needed here, even started a thread in the IN, MI, IL, OH forum asking around and got TONS of great ideas I never even considered. Good luck!

Edit: Here's the thread I was talking about, no one know good beer like the people that live there.
    beeradvocate.com/community/threads/to-stay-or-not-to-stay-in-munster.63159/
  3. pwoody11

Thanks for the reply. I'm fully aware of this sites capabilities, but but for a long trip through multiple states, its not easy to find all the little places off the beaten path in some small town. For example, if you're passing through Delaware, you may check Newark or Wilmington, but you most likely wouldn't check Bear DE which happens to be home to a great brewery.

It's also tedious to check all those cities.

Also, it really clogs up the forums asking locals. I think "places in philly" ends up in the mid-atlantic forum 3 times a week.
  4. I agree that rehashing the same questions in new threads gets tedious, but honestly, I simply asked if I should stay in Munster and it turned into 20 different recommendations. I'm going to be visiting 4 states (not counting my own) over the course of 6 days so mine is a reasonably long trip, too, but that's why I searched whole states instead of cities, then whittled it down from there; searching for breweries in Delaware populates just 12 results, including Stewart's in Bear, so it's not as daunting as it sounds. There might be a site that can plan the trip for you, but half the fun for me is finding where I want to go and hearing people glow about The Livery and Greenbush and how I need to stay the night in Saugatuck (which I would have never considered without the many recommendations) and how they had crappy experiences at Arcadia. I'm just trying to share what worked for me since I'm in a similar boat.

While we're at it, where are you planning on going? Is it just straight through to ID?
    pwoody11 likes this.
  5. pwoody11

I have no immediate plans. Just curious and only used the Idaho thing as an example. I am heading to EBF in Boston this weekend, planning on stopping at Nebco, but it made me curious what else would be on our route.
  6. pwoody11

I don't know why my thread was moved here. I don't have any feedback about this website, nor do I need help with anything on this website.