Comment Trip reports?

Discussion in 'Site' started by beertunes, Mar 7, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,355) Washington Sep 24, 2007

What does everyone think of having a "Trip Reports" perma-thread? We get lots of "where to go, what to drink" threads in the PNW forum, as do most regions. But, rarely does anyone ever report back how their trip to Bend/SEA/PDX/ wherever went. If there were a thread, people could report back on what they liked, what they didn't and post pics of stuff. It would be like the "latest haul" thread, but probably with broader interest. Here's how an aviation site does it: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/

2. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Advocate (650) Mississippi Feb 28, 2012 Verified

I like the idea.

beertunes likes this.
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (725) Iowa Jan 12, 2013 Verified Subscriber

I post on a Boundary Waters forum where there is a "Trip Reports" section. Everyone posts details about recent canoeing/camping/fishing trips (including photos, good camping sites, where they caught fish on a particular lake, areas to avoid on certain lakes, other general advice, etc) while they were in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness/Quetico. It's my favorite sub-forum on the site and I would welcome a similar forum here on BA in regards to recent trips people have taken and tips on where to score beer, etc.

4. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (560) Oregon Mar 27, 2009 Subscriber

I see nothing wrong and a lot to like about this idea

yemenmocha and kojevergas like this.
  5. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (850) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008 Verified

If you're talking about the same forum, love the trip reports! I have a few posted there as well.

When you can't have a paddle in-hand, always good to live vicariously through others.

Beer (to stay on topic).

dvelcich, MarcatGSB and BottleCaps80 like this.
  6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

VISITING PHOENIX?

(or other metro)

That would be a great thread sticky at the top of each of the regional forums. I LOVE this idea.

It would start with a link to the PLACES section for that metro, which is an underutilized part of this site that is quite helpful - and it gives more breadth and objectivity than just whomever happens to reply that day or week.

7. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (375) Arizona Oct 16, 2012 Verified

Awesome Idea, some of the best places Ive found were on BA. But this opens it up to exploring places you would visit, specifically if you dont know where to go, or you are going for a purpose( getting Pliny on Draught for example)

8. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

I think this idea sounds pretty awesome. It's really hard to find the gems of an area if you have no clue where you're at in relation to good places. It's hard to find the good/bad bars, good/bad shops, etc. Considering that I just posted a thread the other day trying to find stuff in the DC/VA area, a thread like that would have solved my problems.

9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm a yes. Perhaps the OP of the sticky could be a regional forum mod, if those are established, and the mod could have rights to edit the OP with new info every so often. This could also be linked directly from the beer guide page for the corresponding metro areas.

beertunes likes this.
  10. Let me know when the actual Trip Report thread starts. Not a thread about an idea for a thread., :)

beertunes likes this.
  11. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Advocate (675) Pennsylvania Feb 18, 2011 Verified

Sounds like a great idea to me.

12. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,355) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Seems like there's at least some interest. Next person to road trip starts it. Tell us where you went, what bars/breweries/stores you visited, what beers you tried (with an overview of quality), and, if so inclined, what non-beer stuff you did. Add pics if you want. Should probably start it on the main page. Spring's here, hit the road!

13. Also Airports should be added as cities in places. I am at MSP airport drinking a SN Torpedo as I type this and I often see these threads pop up

beertunes likes this.