1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trip Suggestions (Lexington, Asheville, Atlanta, Nashville, Louisville)

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by cdb636, Mar 5, 2013.

1. cdb636

cdb636 Member

My girlfriend and I are going through all the above mentioned on a little roadtrip next week, and have a fairly good idea of where we will go (thanks to all the threads about this type of trip), but just wanted to run it past the people who might know best if there is something we are missing, or anything we should consider (such as restaurants, activities or even beer to seek out in the bars, brewpubs or stores while in the area). Also there is a location specific question or two that I would love to figure out as well. I understand that not all these cities are located in this subgroup, so I posted it in the southern region as well. All help/recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Lexington-
    Buffalo Trace Distillery
    Country Boy
    West 6th
    Stella's Deli
    Q- Where can I find a bottle of Pappy? I heard that it is not always available at BT.

Asheville-
    Pisgah
    Wicked Weed
    Wedge
    12 Bones
    Appalachian Vintner
    Thirsty Monk
    Early Girl Eatery
    Q- We want to do some hiking, where is the best place to check out that isn't far out of the city? Read about the deep gap trail and Mt. Craig, is there a better option? Also wanted to hike in the Nantahala forest. Thoughts?

Atlanta-
    Holeman and Finch
    Flip Burger
    Hankook Taqueria
    Brick Store Pub
    The porter beer bar
    Whecking bar brewery
    Hop City
    Q- What are some non-beer-specific activities that we should do while in the area?

Nashville-
    Mitchells Deli
    Yazoo
    Jackalope
    Turtle Anarchy
    Jacks BBQ
    Cold Springs
    Arnolds Country Kitchen
    Prince's Hot Chicken
    Hattie B's
    Las Paletas-Crema-Mikes Ice Cream-Jeni's
    Q- Where could I find calfkiller beer?
    Yazoo won't be open when we are there, where should I find it?
    What breweries do I have to hit and what should I skip?
    We want to see a show. Where is the best venue to experience the town?

Louisville-
    New Albanian
    Against the Grain
    Sergio's
    Holy Grale
    Cake Flour
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe
    Hammerhead
    Blind Pig/Meat
    Q- Where should we eat?
    Any distilleries I should be looking into?
  2. cdb636

cdb636 Member

Anyone able to weigh in?
  3. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Member

never heard of the Hankook taqueria.

If you like BBQ Community Q in Decatur is pretty good.

attractions in downtown include the aquarium and world of coke.

hop city is solid, you might try green's on ponce de leon ave or Buford Hwy.

Decatur also has Ale Yeah, solid beer selection.

If you are going to Holeman and Finch for the 10pm burger, be aware that it is a zoo and you probably need to get there at 7:30ish to get a burger. Empire State South is very good. Any of the Rathbun spots is very good. Krog bar is fun.

If you are adventerous, then the Clairemont Lounge is always an interesting stop.

Going from Asheville to Atlanta, a sidetrip to Athens would be worth the hassle. 5 points bottle always has a great selection..honestly as good or better than anything I find inside the perimeter. Cali n Titos is awesome cuban food. Trapeeze Pub always has great stuff on tap.

sounds like a fun trip.
    MagicJeff likes this.
  4. carrollmel7

carrollmel7 Member

Not sure if you are into hiking to see any waterfalls, but if you are the Catawba Falls trail is 30 minutes east of Asheville in Old Forte. It is a 3.0 mile round trip hike to two great waterfalls in Catawba Falls and Upper Catawba Falls. Also will throw out the name of my favorite restaurant in Asheville; Salsa's.
  5. BrownNut

BrownNut Member

Don't know how long you're in Atlanta, but for an outdoorsy activity if the weather's nice, you could drive out to Stone Mountain and climb it. It's a pretty easy climb, but nice exercise on a nice day. There's a welcome center at the top with observation areas, snack bar, nature education stuff, etc. But the climb up and down is the draw. You're fine in tennis shoes and don't need a walking stick or anything. There's a fee to enter the park.

You could take an easy picnic and blanket to Piedmont Park and people watch - again, temperature permitting. Or there's the Park Tavern right there on the edge of the park (don't know about their beer), and then a nice walk through the park.

The Botanical Gardens are nice if either of you are planty. The Aquarium if you're fishy. World of Coca Cola if you're cokey.

Decatur is a kind of hip little area to be in, with a number of fun restaurants, good beer bars, and Ale Yeah, a small but nicely stocked craft beer store.

Little 5 Points, Virginia Highlands, Midtown, and East Atlanta are a few other pretty social areas.
  6. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Member

For hikes outside of Asheville, we enjoyed Graveyard Fields and Sam Knob. 3m and 2m. Graveyard fields ends at a great waterfall and Sam Knob ends at the top of a 6000ft rock peak.

http://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/graveyard-fields/graveyard-fields
    http://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/black-balsam/sam-knob

These are 30min outside of Asheville but a quick stop from Waynesville where you can stop in an visit Frog Level and Headwaters breweries and Tipping Point Tavern (also brews some of their own beer).
  7. gaweso

gaweso Member

For Asheville, I would second Salsa's, and add Over Easy Cafe as another breakfast spot and Green Man as another brewery.

For Atlanta, I think you have the 3 best beer spots (imo), but Twain's in Decatur is a solid brewpub, as well as 5 Seasons which is next to Hop City. There is another 5 Seasons in Sandy Springs that has a different brewer that I see recommended a lot (I've never been there). Taqueria del Sol, Leon's, Cakes & Ale, Las Brasas, Farmburger, and 246 are all good food options in Decatur. Fox Bros BBQ is also really good (and close to the Porter and the Wrecking Bar). There are lots of great places to eat along Buford Highway. I also like hiking around Sweetwater Creek State Park, which is close to Atlanta, and you can get lunch at Beaver Creek BBQ which is close to it.

You should check out Creative Loafing for events in Atlanta: http://clatl.com/
  8. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Member

DBA in the Virginia Highlands is good BBQ too; also second what he everything he says about Decatur, cool spot.
  9. BrownNut

BrownNut Member

Seconding Fox Bros bbq in Little 5 Points area. Some of the best in Atlanta. Only downsides, at least the times I went several years ago, was neverending jam band bootlegs playing the whole time, and way over-black-peppered baked beans. A fun dish there is the loaded tater tots.
  10. blackie

blackie Member

If you're actually seeking bottles in Asheville, I would not skip Bruisin' for Appalachian Vintner - do both. Selections at the two can be quite different.
  11. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Member

Regarding Asheville, I would also give Kudos to Salsas. But you might get in a food coma afterwards. FYI.

As for breakfast, go to Over Easy which is downtown. Lots of organic fresh food and great organic coffee. As for trails, I usually take my bike and hit the Arboretum. You can access it just off the Blue Ridge. Miles and miles of trails galore up there with some pretty nice scenery.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

I know more about hiking than I do beer. Hit the following spots on the Appalachian Trail: Max Patch and The Beauty Spot. You can day hike to both of those places and there are some amazing views. Also the AT cuts across I-40 on the NC/TN border as you're on your trip.
  13. yeahitsRUST

yeahitsRUST Member

Like someone else has mentioned already, Bruisin Ales is a must stop. Appalachain Vinter is great as well. Hops and Vines is another place that has less traffic I think and therefore you can find some gems on the shelves long after they are gone elsewhere. I second Max Patch and highly recommend Graveyard Falls. Wonderful waterfalls and the lower falls you can swim in if its warm enough. I also like hiking out past the Tennessee border at Cades Cove, a little farther (about 50 mins away) but awesome hiking.

Cheers!
  14. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Member

DawgPhan seemed to cover the Atlanta section pretty well except for the BBQ aspect. If you are going to do BBQ in Atlanta it needs to be Fat Matt's or Fox Bros.

I would definitely listen to him about the beer stores unless you just want to pay more at Hop City. I would go to Green's on Ponce (plus that way you can say you saw Murder Kroger) and be sure to go in the Belgian cellar room since many mistake it for cold storage on their first trip. Then I would go to Ale Yeah on a swing through Decatur to pick up more beer. Then pick up whatever else Hop City might have those didn't since it will cost you more there.
  15. tugg407

tugg407 Member

I was just in Asheville & Wicked Weed is a must!! Really good food & by far the best beer in Asheville.
    Wedge is a cool spot, nice vibe, cool art, beers are ok.
    That real good BBQ spot is right near Wedge too (I forgot the name)
    Great town, I cant wait to go again!
    Cheers