Trip Suggestions (Lexington, Asheville, Atlanta, Nashville, Louisville)

Discussion in 'South' started by cdb636, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdb636

cdb636 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Illinois

My girlfriend and I are going through all the above mentioned on a little roadtrip next week, and have a fairly good idea of where we will go (thanks to all the threads about this type of trip), but just wanted to run it past the people who might know best if there is something we are missing, or anything we should consider (such as restaurants, activities or even beer to seek out in the bars, brewpubs or stores while in the area). Also there is a location specific question or two that I would love to figure out as well. I understand that not all these cities are located in this subgroup, so I posted it in the southern region as well. All help/recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Lexington-
    Buffalo Trace Distillery
    Country Boy
    West 6th
    Stella's Deli
    Q- Where can I find a bottle of Pappy? I heard that it is not always available at BT.

Asheville-
    Pisgah
    Wicked Weed
    Wedge
    12 Bones
    Appalachian Vintner
    Thirsty Monk
    Early Girl Eatery
    Q- We want to do some hiking, where is the best place to check out that isn't far out of the city? Read about the deep gap trail and Mt. Craig, is there a better option? Also wanted to hike in the Nantahala forest. Thoughts?

Atlanta-
    Holeman and Finch
    Flip Burger
    Hankook Taqueria
    Brick Store Pub
    The porter beer bar
    Whecking bar brewery
    Hop City
    Q- What are some non-beer-specific activities that we should do while in the area?

Nashville-
    Mitchells Deli
    Yazoo
    Jackalope
    Turtle Anarchy
    Jacks BBQ
    Cold Springs
    Arnolds Country Kitchen
    Prince's Hot Chicken
    Hattie B's
    Las Paletas-Crema-Mikes Ice Cream-Jeni's
    Q- Where could I find calfkiller beer?
    Yazoo won't be open when we are there, where should I find it?
    What breweries do I have to hit and what should I skip?
    We want to see a show. Where is the best venue to experience the town?

Louisville-
    New Albanian
    Against the Grain
    Sergio's
    Holy Grale
    Cake Flour
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe
    Hammerhead
    Blind Pig/Meat
    Q- Where should we eat?
    Any distilleries I should be looking into?

2. slatetupelo

slatetupelo Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2007 Mississippi

While in Atlanta you HAVE to go to the Porter Beer bar and the Brick Store Pub.

The Brick Store Pub is located in a nice little town square (Decatur Square) with a few shops and boutiques (my wife loves the boutique next door to the starbucks). Raging Burrito is another option for food while there and they also have a nice tap list. There is the Decatur Ghost Tour, I've never been but heard it's fun.

http://www.decaturghosttour.com/

The Porter Beer Bar is in Little Five Points (only a couple of miles from Decatur Square) and it's a very eclectic part of town. Lots of weirdos, unique shops, thrift stores, the Variety Playhouse (live music), and a really cool record store (Criminal Records). After leaving the Porter you can walk to Wrecking Bar Brewpub a drink a flight of beers ($7) or buy a pint or half pint of any beer available.

Green's Beverages on Ponce De Leon is only a mile or two from the Porter and the Wrecking Bar, they have a fairly knew walk-in cellar worth checking out and have about the same selection as Hop City.

If it was baseball season I'd tell you to go catch a Braves game.

3. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 Kentucky

Louisville-
    New Albanian - go to the one on Plaza Dr. Youll thank yourself later.
    Against the Grain - AMAZING brews, but the food is forgettable.
    Sergio's - cash only so be warned.
    Holy Grale - yes yes yes yes yes.
    Cake Flour - so damn good.
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe - went out of business
    Hammerhead - be prepared for a long wait. Also, stop by and say hi. Im literally on the other end of the street!
    Blind Pig/Meat - amazing bourbon selection

Q- Where should we eat? There are plenty of places to eat depending on what youre into. Out of what you mentioned, I would suggest Hammerheads. You wont regret eating there. They have amazing food. FYI - was there earlier today and they have Gumballhead on tap.

Any distilleries I should be looking into? Did the bourbon trail last April. I suggest Four Roses and Buffalo Trace the most.

Oh, and dont forget to go by the Louisville Beer Store on Market St.

4. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

You had me at "lots of wierdos."

5. drfabulous

drfabulous Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky

If you go to Brick Store, Leons (owned by same people) is around the corner and Farm Burger is in the other direction in Decatur. The wine shop there in Decatur also has a pretty nice, but not huge, bottle selection. I like 5 Seasons for Hopgasm when it's on. In Asheville, you left out Bruisin Ales for beer shopping. I'm a big fan of 12 Bones in Asheville. I keep meaning to check out Curate in Asheville (and I want to hit Wicked Weed next time I'm there). In Lexington, you left out Beer Trappe and Lexington Beerworks. Village Idiot downtown is owned by same people who own Beer Trappe; it's a gastropub. Stella's is small, so arrive early. If you see the Habenero Loko food truck outside of West Sixth or Country Boy, eat there. Good luck with Pappy. I live in Lexington, and we worked hard once to get a bottle. In Louisville, I like the food at Against the Grain and I liked Garage Bar for pizza the one time I ate there. Also Mayan Cafe in Louisville for upscale Peruvian.

6. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

You won't find any Pappy in Lexington; it is not sold at the distillery anymore either.

7. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Well, you might take in a little history in Atlanta. The Cyclorama is a very unique way of learning about the battles fought around there during the Civil War.

8. johnking82

johnking82 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

I don't think I can add much to what has already been said about Louisville, but being an Illinois transfer I can put on my thinking cap.

But if driving down 65 towards Nashville you can easily hit up Jim Beam and Makers. Just check the tour hours. Right across from Jim Beam is Bernheim Forest...great hiking. When in Asheville, make sure the highway in the mountains is open as well. Tons of good hiking and views.

Pappy- Goodluck...most places keep it in back and not on the shelves. See also: needle in haystack.

If you want good/local food, hit up Harvest. Holy Grale is a must stop. Check www.louisvillebeer.com's FB page for the most recent happenings in regards to beer going-ons.

9. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Initiate (0) May 14, 2009 Kentucky

As far as I know, Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville closed down due to the owners being unable to come to agreement with the staff. Was a great place though for some serious hangover cure.

In and around Lexington I would hit up Woodford Reserve Distillery and add the Beer Trappe to your list.

Good food and beer I would go to Village Idiot or Pazzo's.

10. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2010 Tennessee

You can find calfkiller beer at almost any better beer bar, the only problem is that each place usually only has 1, sometimes 2 taps and its a crapshoot as to what each place has. Looking at your list of places your going, right by Jack's is a bar called Broadway Brewhouse Downtown that should have Calfkiller and right across the street from Hattie B's is Brewhouse Midtown that should have Calfkiller (this is better beer bar than downtown one).

If Yazoo isn't open, don't fret - it's EVERYWHERE... You can't go somewhere in Nashville without them having Yazoo bottles let alone it on tap. Half of the restaurants you are going to will have it. Seriously, just walk into any place that serves beer and they will definitely have the Pale Ale and/or Dos Perros; Brewhouse Midtown probably also has the current Hop Project and Hefeweizen and maybe even Sly Rye Porter.

Breweries to hit/skip.. This is a bit up in the air as some people really enjoy Jackalope, but personally I'd say skip. Turtle Anarchy is worth a stop for the beer, but the taproom is pretty bland. Cool Springs is putting out some really interesting things too, and the food is good, but this place is definitely more of a brewpub. Fat Bottom is new and isn't on your list, and while they don't have the best beer, the food and vibe is killer (its just a mile away from downtown) and easy to get to.

As for a venue - that depends. The Ryman Auditorium (original Opryhouse) is an incredible place to see the show, but who knows if or what is playing there that night. Mercy Loung/Cannery Ballroom (same building, different venues) are great places to see a show. There are a few other smaller places too that are decent like 3rd & Lindsley and Exit/In or even the Basement, IMO.. I'd look at the list of who's playing where and decide what you want to see the most.

One last note here, how long are you staying in Nashville? I ask because I see you have Prince's and Hattie B's on your list of places to stop, and if you are going to be driving/traveling a lot, that may pose a problem for you, ha, seriously. Have you ever had hot chicken and do you know what it does to your body?? Eating that shit 1 time, let alone 2 within a day or two is ballsy; unless you just go for the mild (Hattie B's has a "Southern" which is no heat and their chicken is still incredible). I'd grab some extra TP if I were you in case you clean your hotel out and you're still going strong.

Enjoy your trip through Music City, looks like you've done your research cuz you got some awesome places on your list and I've been to every one. My only suggestion would be to go to The Pharmacy if you want one of the best burgers you've ever had... Also, if you happen to have room for any extra beer and want to set up an IP trade, let me know!

Cheers

11. rundownhouse

rundownhouse Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2005 Tennessee

Since you're going to be in town mid-week, look into the Station Inn for music, they have some great stuff going on during the week.

12. tronto

tronto Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky

3 things...Mitchell's has the best bacon I've ever had, holy grale has the best burger I've ever had, and Mamacitas in ashville has one of the best burritos I've ever had.
    Have fun soaking up the south.

13. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

For music, def. station inn if you like bluegrass. Also Bluebird Cafe in green hills is famous. But if the is a show that interests you at the Ryman, it is a must.

As far as beer, I think Cool Springs Brewery and Turtle Anarchy are doing the best stuff. I kind of agree about Jackalope and Fat Bottom, although Jackalope has been doing much better and beer shows it. Princes is the original hot chicken...others do it, but if you want the one that started it, that's it. Warning...nothing fancy and not the best part of town by any means. Want a low down burger and shake? Go to Rotiers on Elliston Place. Old school. As far as beer bars, its Brewhouse Midtown and 12 South. Those are the best. I've never been a huge Flying Saucer fan, but alot of folks like that as well. Jack's BBQ is good, but if you want to skip, I've had better BBQ. Since you mentioned distilleries, I would check out Corsairs in the Marathon bldg. They have some great spirits and on of the best small distilleries around. Plus...they have a tap room where you will find Yazoo, Turtle Anarchy, Fat Bottom, Calf Killer selection (I happen to work right up the steps from the tap room).

Note on Asheville. Tupelo Honey. Great food.

14. weonfire

weonfire Pundit (870) Sep 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

As a Louisville resident - eat at Harvest or Decca for dinner and Toast for Brunch all on Market street. Also add Apocalypse Brewery to your list. Sergio's and Holy Grale are a MUST. Nach Bar is an excellent spot as well.
    In Lexington add The Beer Trappe (bottle shop/bar) to places to go. Some of the most sought after brews in all the land go on tap. Taps change weekly. will NOT be disappointed. unless they are closed.

15. craftbrew502

craftbrew502 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2012 Kentucky

Louisville
    -Louisville beer store has a good selection. a lot like Sergios but cheaper.
    -Flanigans is also a really good bar to check out. They always have good beer on tap. As of yesterday they have Bells expidition stout, Stone Russian Imperial Stout, Hopslam and a bunch more. Plus the have a pretty big bottle list

16. erichall

erichall Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Kentucky

I hope you have about 4 days in each town.

Louisville. Against the grain - they have good food contrary to what was said in this thread. New Albanian usually has a solid tap list and interesting in house brews. Depending on where you are staying in Louisville, they would be an expensive cab ride from the east end/highlands. From downtown it's not too bad. Holy grale has good thoughtful small dish food and an amazing rotating tap list. Tons of good food in Louisville. Tons of good bourbon spots downtown. Doc crowes has an excellent premium bourbon list and very good food. Jockey silks at the gault house is pricey but has an amazing bourbon list.

Getting a pour of pappy isn't tough. Finding a bottle is nearly impossible right now.

Keg Liquors in clarksville, IN and Louisville beer store are the best to find interesting fresh beers.

17. drfabulous

True. Though, one place in Lexington is $100 a pour.

18. erichall

erichall Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Kentucky

That is crazy. I can name about 4 places in downtown louisville that routinely have Pappy23 available for around 30-40 a pour.

I was in NOLA a couple weeks ago, the famed sazarac bar in the Rosevelt had 1 oz pours of pappy 23 for 65. Two ounce normal pours were twice that.

19. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

That sounds downright ridiculous. Where?

20. drfabulous

Bluegrass Tavern. Henry Clay wants...$60 maybe? We bought a bottle for $60 once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.